MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replace Motu's Freestyle?
ap4tv
post Thu 10 Jul 2008, 17:33
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 102,221

I'm looking to upgrade my MOTU's Freestyle software, notation and midi software from the late '90's.
Can anyone recommend a similar product?
All I want to do is play bass and drum tracks thru my keyboard and drum pad,
make edits and corrections on the written notation, have it play back thru my keyboard and drum pad, and play live guitar over it.

Sounds simple, no?

andrew
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrewOrlando
post Wed 18 Mar 2009, 23:24
Post #2

Member No.: 107,284

Hey.
New here, but at least I found a "Freestyle" mention here.

A few years ago I had to switch over from Freestyle after many years.
I no longer can access my old Freestyle files on my old Mac.

Does anyone have that capability? I'd appreciate any help with converting.
If I had Freestyle on a working Mac I could easily save them as Midi files, but I never had a need to do that until it's too late.

Thanks for any help or ideas.. DrewOrlando

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Thu 19 Mar 2009, 11:10
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,633

QUOTE (DrewOrlando @ Wed 18 Mar 2009, 22:24) *
Hey.

If I had Freestyle on a working Mac I could easily save them as Midi files, but I never had a need to do that until it's too late.

Hey DrewOrlando... If you believe your minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years of work are worth it, locate the "Old Mac" and convert. I'm sure if you searched you could find someone near you who would allow you to utilize or buy. It sure would be worth it if there's tons of old Files to be gained. What Macintosh was it?????? No, "I Don't" have an 'Old Mac', I'm just curious about your story and want to see how it develops. An old Mac can't be worth more than a hundred or two dollars. Your time, creativity, passion, work and music is hopefully worth much more.

Hope you recover those Files... You can do it!

+Quote Post
DrewOrlando
post Thu 19 Mar 2009, 13:09
Post #4

Thanks for your reply, Mac Daddy.

I have my old G4 tower.....but at this point it has been updated well into OS X.
I probably have, somewhere, original disks for OS 9......so far, they haven't turned up.
I have an old Mac or two from the school I teach in but have had no luck getting FreeStyle to install and work on either one.

I have archived my old files, and perhaps sometime I'll get the app to work long enough to convert my files.

Thanks for your support.

QUOTE (Mac Daddy @ Thu 19 Mar 2009, 06:10) *
QUOTE (DrewOrlando @ Wed 18 Mar 2009, 22:24) *
Hey.

Hey DrewOrlando... If you believe your minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years of work are worth it, locate the "Old Mac" and convert. I'm sure if you searched you could find someone near you who would allow you to utilize or buy. It sure would be worth it if there's tons of old Files to be gained. What Macintosh was it?????? No, "I Don't" have an 'Old Mac', I'm just curious about your story and want to see how it develops. An old Mac can't be worth more than a hundred or two dollars. Your time, creativity, passion, work and music is hopefully worth much more.

Hope you recover those Files... You can do it!

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Fri 20 Mar 2009, 11:48
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

You should look it up (and be willing to spend a little time doing so) on Google. The other day I wanted to use my 8 year old daughter's Casio keyboard and control an Audio unit electric piano plug with a full size keyboard. First of all, my daughter had absolutely no idea where the disk with the drivers were so, I first went online to download them from Casio's site. OF course, Casio never wrote drivers for Macs. So, I went back to Google and found a forum thread from a guy had actually wrote HIS OWN drivers for the Mac so his kids could play instruments in Garage Band with their keyboard). from scratch and then posted it to google apps. I was amazed. I was also really happy that I had a 61key- keyboard to play my electric piano patches instead of my little m-audio oxygen Is Freestyle the name of the app that you ran on the old Mac? What was the file name for Freemont.s? You may be surprised at what you can find out there.

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

www.reverbnation.com/mortalengines

+Quote Post
DrewOrlando
post Fri 20 Mar 2009, 14:29
Post #6

Thanks.
Freestyle uses a proprietary format. So far, I've not found anything to translate any of the files from that format into MIDI. Every few months or so I search around, post a question for help or ideas. Nothing has turned up yet. Maybe one of these days I can get one of my old Macs up and running with FreeStyle and will get them turned around. Fortunately, I can recreate pretty faithfully the files in Garageband. And, I'm pretty fast. Thanks again for your ideas.

Stephen

QUOTE (mortalengines @ Fri 20 Mar 2009, 06:48) *
You should look it up (and be willing to spend a little time doing so) on Google. The other day I wanted to use my 8 year old daughter's Casio keyboard and control an Audio unit electric piano plug with a full size keyboard. First of all, my daughter had absolutely no idea where the disk with the drivers were so, I first went online to download them from Casio's site. OF course, Casio never wrote drivers for Macs. So, I went back to Google and found a forum thread from a guy had actually wrote HIS OWN drivers for the Mac so his kids could play instruments in Garage Band with their keyboard). from scratch and then posted it to google apps. I was amazed. I was also really happy that I had a 61key- keyboard to play my electric piano patches instead of my little m-audio oxygen Is Freestyle the name of the app that you ran on the old Mac? What was the file name for Freemont.s? You may be surprised at what you can find out there.

+Quote Post
lunar 1
post Sat 21 Mar 2009, 15:38
Post #7

Member No.: 52,800

If your G4 used to boot in OS 9, and you still have the means to install Freestyle, then it sounds like all you lack is a bootable version of OS 9 on your G4. If you can't find your original OS 9 disk, it might be worthwhile to just pick up another copy on ebay for $15-25. Don't know why Freestyle wouldn't take on the school Macs.. Were they booted up in OS 9? Or were they booted in OS X and then running OS 9 in "Classic mode"? (I don't think this would work for installing or running Freestyle.) (side note: IIRC, the last Macs made that could actually boot up in OS 9 were the 867Mhz Duals; faster Macs that came after could only run OS 9 in "Classic mode") - Gluck

QUOTE (DrewOrlando @ Thu 19 Mar 2009, 04:09) *
Thanks for your reply, Mac Daddy.

I have my old G4 tower.....but at this point it has been updated well into OS X.
I probably have, somewhere, original disks for OS 9......so far, they haven't turned up.
I have an old Mac or two from the school I teach in but have had no luck getting FreeStyle to install and work on either one.

I have archived my old files, and perhaps sometime I'll get the app to work long enough to convert my files.

Thanks for your support.

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Wed 25 Mar 2009, 03:53
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

Not to stir up any controversy or encourage any potentially illegal behavior here....I just thought I might add that you can find old operating systems for free download at several torrent search sites. If you aren't sure of what I'm talking about then just google the word "torrent" and the rest comes in time.

+Quote Post
DrewOrlando
post Wed 25 Mar 2009, 04:03
Post #9

QUOTE (mortalengines @ Tue 24 Mar 2009, 22:53) *
Not to stir up any controversy or encourage any potentially illegal behavior here....I just thought I might add that you can find old operating systems for free download at several torrent search sites. If you aren't sure of what I'm talking about then just google the word "torrent" and the rest comes in time.

I am aware of torrents. Thanks for the tip, though.
If only I could find someone with a currently viable copy of Freestyle running that would be able to convert my files into midi. That would be in a perfect world, but my search continues for that or getting these old macs here up and running with Freestyle.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.

Drew

QUOTE (DrewOrlando @ Tue 24 Mar 2009, 22:59) *
QUOTE (mortalengines @ Tue 24 Mar 2009, 22:53) *

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 26 Mar 2009, 19:01
Post #10

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Citation (DrewOrlando @ mer 25 mar 2009, 04:03) *
If only I could find someone with a currently viable copy of Freestyle running that would be able to convert my files into midi. That would be in a perfect world, but my search continues for that or getting these old macs here up and running with Freestyle.
It'd be better, as no Mac OS higher than OS 8.5 is available freely from Apple AFAIK. So it's illegal to have them elsewhere…

So anyone has freestyle running still somewhere? unsure.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 13:37
- © MacMusic 1997-2008