MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fireface 800 Problems On Powerbook, Drop-outs / Cannot update Firmware
kassotis
post Mon 18 Apr 2005, 02:28
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 55,513

Hi,

Im running OSX 10.3.9 on a Powerbook G4 1.5 GHz, 1GB memory and i just bought FIREFACE 800 thinking that its probably one of the best soundcards of its kind.

Unfortunatelly I cannot update the card's firmware (It fails at the end) and I'm having cliks on the right output channel (All right outputs headphones, spdif etc).

I have tried different firewire cables, 800 and 400, with and without devices connected on the firewire bus, isolated mains supply, reinstalled drivers, repaired permissions but still.
Crackles happen at all buffer settings, with logic, ableton live, itunes, quicktime, osx sounds etc.

Just to make sure, I've tested the unit on a PC and it had the same problems so I thought it must be the unit. So I went and REPLACED it but i'm still having exactly the same problems .

Any help would be great.

Ion

P.S. : I'm using the latest FIREFACE 800 drivers 2.01 and have tried flashing the unit with 1.83 flash utility and even the 1.66 one but no luck.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
magnusf
post Sun 8 May 2005, 19:49
Post #2

Member No.: 65,416

Hi Ion!
Could have written that mail myself. I got exactly the same problems as you described. Also got problems to install the firmware update.
I´m working on a G5 1.8 dual, Logoc 7.1 and the fireface. But same as you find the same problems with quicktime, itunes and so on. I need to solve this asap.

Magnus

+Quote Post
Jsegura
post Sun 8 May 2005, 20:54
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 60,731

You think well if you think that firaface 800 is one of the best in his class.His sound is clean and sweet.His pre are very good.A great machine.You would have to prove in the fireface settings if everything is well.Put clock Mode in Master.The Pref Sync Ref in Word Clock.It is important that the Limit Bandwidth is not overloaded.If in All Channels,you could have problems.It works in 48KHz.Normally cliks is because of synchronism or overloaded.Try it and luck because you have great inteface.

+Quote Post
kassotis
post Sun 8 May 2005, 21:13
Post #4

Member No.: 55,513

Hi Magnus,

Is the unit's firmware 1.80. Coz it seems that units with this firmware are problematic. I replaced mine for the 3rd time with a unit that had 1.82 firmware and voila everything worked fine!! It can now update firmware and there are no clicks whatsoever .. It is in fact a very good soundcard.
You shouldn't be worried whether it works on your system .. it works pretty nice, so inform RME or the place you bought it and demand a replacement with an updated firmware.

Don;t take all i'm sying for granted .. that was my case but if you have exactly the same problems then maybe its your case as well.

hope that helps

ion

+Quote Post
magnusf
post Tue 24 May 2005, 19:36
Post #5

Hi again after some time!
Thanx for your advice! Tried over and over again to update the firmware but just get error failed all the time. The clicking is still there and I don´t know what to do. Tried to get in contact with RME support but didn´t success so far. It´s really annoying while working but hope I can find a sollution pretty soon. best regards Magnus

+Quote Post
drae
post Wed 25 May 2005, 14:05
Post #6

Member No.: 53,992

Try posting your problem (and searching that forum) at www.osxaudio.com/
There has been some good Fireface advice etc there this year. Some people have had
problems solved by replacing their units and in one case the f/wire cable was at fault.

David

+Quote Post
magnusf
post Wed 25 May 2005, 17:11
Post #7

Hi and thanx...
I´ll cheque osxaudio.com as well

Magnus

+Quote Post
drae
post Thu 26 May 2005, 14:24
Post #8

Member No.: 53,992

I had a problem getting my Fface to work with my G3 B&W (w processor u/grade to G4 650) Turns out that the G3 fwire wasn't compatible with Fface but a Lacie PCI fw card (cheap) from Apple shop did the trick. Everythings going well now although big projects might test the relatively slow processor. I'm running Logic 6.4.3 on OSX 10.3.8 with 900ish Meg ram with a UAD card helping lighten the load.
Good luck on your quest.

David

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 00:44
- © MacMusic 1997-2008