MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help For A Newbie!, Classical musician out of his comfort zone!
jupiterstation
post Tue 6 Jul 2010, 17:45
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 114,512

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the site, so I apologise if I've gone about this posting business incorrectly. I have searched for topics relating to what I'm asking, but can't find the answers I need. I have some very simple inquiries really.

I am a classically trained musician and composer who has been working with Sibelius and other score production software for years. Recently, I have been taking up various commissions for pieces which are either electronic 'pop' pieces or ones for which the client wants a recording without the trouble of paying musicians to perform. I am currently composing a piece for a dance company, for which I need realistic sounding orchestral instruments (as well as some electronic sounds, and various electronic effects)

I have been using Logic Express 8 now for some months, and I'm becoming quite proficient with it; I have produced several tracks for friends (singers, bands) etc, and have got a good grasp of how to use effects etc. However, at present I do not have any hardware - the absence of a MIDI keyboard is the most glaring omission. My query is simple really... What do I need to purchase in order to be able to make near realistic sounding orchestral pieces? I realise I'll need a MIDI keyboard, but I've heard the term 'audio processor' mentioned as well as other things like mixing decks. OUT OF MY DEPTH!

I realise I'm quite young (23) to be asking these questions, but I've spent my life with traditional music theory and composition, and this is a whole new ball game for me! If someone could please provide me with a concise list of what exactly I need, and what I *can* accomplish, I would greatly appreciate it.

SJ

PS. Also, I need this to be on a reasonable budget. Asking for the moon?! tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 8 Jul 2010, 04:21
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Hello

Well, you need something along the line of orchestra samples. And it depends a lot of your budget.

A decent start up would be Garritan Personal Orchestra maybe

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
kayj_prod
post Thu 8 Jul 2010, 07:41
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 99,001

No, not asking for the moon!
You'll need a USB MIDI keyboard, which will plug straight into your Mac. You may well find Logic works with it straight away without needing to worry about drivers or anything techie like that.

I don't think you'll need a mixer yet as you'll be doing everything inside your Mac at least for a while. Presumably you already have some decent speakers for listening to your Sibelius work anyway.

As for sounds, Garritan is great. The Apple Jam Packs are useful too- although they load up lots of loops which you probably won't use, they include sounds as well. There is loads of choice for orchestral libraries so I would suggest reading lots of reviews once you know your budget, but also trying some out if you can find a shop with them available for playing with.

This post has been edited by kayj_prod: Thu 8 Jul 2010, 07:48

+Quote Post
jupiterstation
post Thu 12 Aug 2010, 00:01
Post #4

Hi everyone.

Thanks very much for your help. I've done some additional research and am thinking of purchasing Eastwest Symphonic Orchestra (Platinum) Seems to be the best rated; what do you guys think?

One other thing... If I do buy this software, I need quite a lot of hard drive space... My MacBook seems suitably equipped in all other departments (RAM, processor etc.) but has NOWHERE NEAR 190+GB of free space! WOULD I BE ABLE to install this content onto a separate hard drive and use it from there? Thanks.

Regards,

SJ

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Thu 12 Aug 2010, 13:49
Post #5

Member No.: 88,124

I use the East West Symphonic Lib (gold plus version) all the time.
i don't feel hampered by the lack of close mic positions, but i do also have another library that has solo close mic'd orchestral instruments.
their 'Play' engine is the bomb.
i've got the library installed on an external drive, and it works well, no problems.

they've got a scaled down version you can download and try for free, btw.
good luck.

+Quote Post
jupiterstation
post Thu 12 Aug 2010, 15:08
Post #6

Thanks for replying to me so quickly smile.gif I have read about this microphone positions 'problem'; though as you say you have not been hampered. I've heard of "Vienna Symphonic Library" as well? What do you use to supplement the lack of close microphone positions? I'm sorry for all of these very basic questions, particularly regarding computers tongue.gif I'm just accustomed to Sibelius, pen and paper etc...

Thanks for your help,

SJ

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Thu 12 Aug 2010, 21:32
Post #7

that's it, yes. i use the VSL close mic samples when i want solo strings/winds/brass. layered over the East West ensembles, it's a very convincing image.

Kontakt comes with a large library of sounds, that's my current source, btw.
cheers.

+Quote Post
canoleguer
post Sat 14 Aug 2010, 08:07
Post #8

Member No.: 114,730

QUOTE (houstonmusic @ Thu 12 Aug 2010, 21:32) *
that's it, yes. i use the VSL close mic samples when i want solo strings/winds/brass. layered over the East West ensembles, it's a very convincing image.

Kontakt comes with a large library of sounds, that's my current source, btw.
cheers.

Hey!
For me the best sounds are the Miroslav Orchestra: are incredible of realism

but it need a lot of ram ( near 4 Gb), so in your macbook the max. is 2 gb, isn't it?

best choice!
rewards

+Quote Post
jupiterstation
post Tue 28 Sep 2010, 17:09
Post #9

Hi. I've just received my copy of Eastwest Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus Complete (what a mouthful!)

However, it isn't allowing me to install it on my external drive ... ?!

"You cannot install EWQL Symphonic Orchestra 24/16 Bit Platinum Plus 1.0.083 on this volume. You can only install this software on the running Mac OS X volume" ...

From previous posts, and from searching on the internet, most people seem to able to do this. Why can't I?! My external hard drive is certainly large enough (1TB) ... it's connected via standard USB ...

ANY HELP PLEASE? I have a composition deadline in a week, and this software is VITAL to me. Thanks smile.gif

sJ

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Tue 28 Sep 2010, 18:24
Post #10

i believe i just did an end run around this same issue when it came up.
i installed on my internal drive, and then copied the files to the external.
i needed to update the file paths in PLAY, but it's working fine.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 19:45
- © MacMusic 1997-2008