MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Advice On Esata External Drives For Audio
miserlou
post Fri 27 Feb 2009, 16:19
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,921

Hello all, I need some advice on eSATA external drives for audio. I use Digital Performer 6 for my main DAW. I have 4 WD Firewire 800 drives that are connected to my 8-Core Mac Pro by the tower's firewire ports. I've been told that I need an eSATA PCI card and that I can connect my WD hard drives individually to the card via the eSATA connector ports that's provided on the drives...and this will give me faster results with my audio.

Does anyone have experience with external eSATA connections and what cards and drives do you recommend?

Thanks!!
Rod
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 27 Feb 2009, 18:29
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Hello smile.gif
First you need a PCI-e card (PCI express), not just PCI.

I've still to try the thing, but as I'm in PCI-x… I've got to buy the card in the USA to have a decent price, so it'll come… One day ^^ The question of the enclosure needs to be cared of too, I'd like a not-RAID multiple drives eSATA enclosure, and I've still to find one.

Now some basics:

- one eSATA port goes to one hard drive only.
- beware that a lot of cards are RAID only, so be careful when choosing one if it's not your choice.

Now I leave the mic to those already eSATAfied. smile.gif I'm curious about their input too.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
fictionmusic
post Sat 28 Feb 2009, 07:12
Post #3

Member No.: 40,632

I use Lacie sata2 drives (well they were originally called sata 2 when they came out, now they are called sata 3gig, but in any event, they use a different connector than sata1 drives.)

I also have a pci-x system and lacie has cards that support up to three sata2 drives per pci-x card. I use the lacie quadra drives (firewire, usb, sata2) and I have 6 working all the time. Never a problem. I also use firewire 800 with another pci-x card (that supports three firewire drives). I also have the sata 1 set up as a raid array (via ANOTHER pci-x card that supports two sata1 drives). I prefer the sata2 drives, but truthfully they all work pretty well. All Lacie too.

+Quote Post
FastEddy
post Sun 1 Mar 2009, 16:34
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 102,762

Puzzled: Why "rebuild" all your drive mechanisms? You don't actually gain much (if any) in performance.

Of course, if you already have FireWire ports, you would not need to get more SATA drives at all. ... FW800 is as fast or faster anyway, for streaming audio or video. Plus cross compatibility with other Apple systems ... and more compatibility with pro-audio, generally (especially useful in a pro-audio studio). There are plenty of "combo" port drives too .., find one with both SATA and FireWire ports (or USB, or all three types). Here is but one: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11156 ... That way you can save the cost of the PCI / PCexpress card(s), etc., for something useful ...

(Mercenary Announcement: http://firewirestuff.com is one of my web sites ... but we don't carry hard drives anymore ... But I like La Cie drives and equipment, generally.)

This post has been edited by FastEddy: Sun 1 Mar 2009, 16:46

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bluemover9999
post Mon 2 Mar 2009, 16:30
Post #5

Member No.: 69,782

Hi There

have you seen this

http://www.newertech.com/products/esata_cable.php

It uses two redundant ports on the MacPro motherboard and creates two additional esata ports on your MacPro.
Then you can take you pick of esata RAID options...do a google search for the best option.

--------------------
imac G5 / Logic Pro 7.1.1 / Presonus Firepod/Line 6 POD 2.0/Roland GR-300/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 20:52
- © 440 Forums 2011