MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Presonus Inspire Clipping/overdriven By Elec. Bass, Is this typical of this product?
billoetjen
post Tue 9 Oct 2007, 16:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,425

Hi,
I just got into digital recording and decided to try a cheap but well-recommended interface first.
I got a Presonus Inspire to go with my upgraded Pismo laptop (originally a G3, hotrodded to 550 MHz G4, 40 gig 5400 rpm hard drive with 16 MB cache, 100 MHz system bus).

Using Garageband and the Inspire control panel, I keep the effects to a minimum, and just try recording rehearsals, etc. Nothing too fancy. My band's a trio of mic'd voice, pup'd acoustic, and passive electric bass. Whether directly into the inputs or through my Yamaha powered mixer first, everything is nice and clean and quiet - except the bass. the lower strings tend to overdrive the inputs and clip really badly at the normal levels. Did I get a bad box?
Should I switch to the Firebox which has better pre's?

Thanks,
Bill Oetjen
billoetjen@fastermac.net
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
drjuju
post Mon 3 Mar 2008, 14:14
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 77,062

QUOTE (billoetjen @ Tue 9 Oct 2007, 15:34) *
Hi,
I just got into digital recording and decided to try a cheap but well-recommended interface first.
I got a Presonus Inspire to go with my upgraded Pismo laptop (originally a G3, hotrodded to 550 MHz G4, 40 gig 5400 rpm hard drive with 16 MB cache, 100 MHz system bus).

Using Garageband and the Inspire control panel, I keep the effects to a minimum, and just try recording rehearsals, etc. Nothing too fancy. My band's a trio of mic'd voice, pup'd acoustic, and passive electric bass. Whether directly into the inputs or through my Yamaha powered mixer first, everything is nice and clean and quiet - except the bass. the lower strings tend to overdrive the inputs and clip really badly at the normal levels. Did I get a bad box?
Should I switch to the Firebox which has better pre's?

Thanks,
Bill Oetjen
billoetjen@fastermac.net

Didn't list your settings, but I'm assuming this happens at all level settings.
I've never had this problem, and I've been using my Inspire1394 for a couple of
years. Try cranking back on the bass, starting at the instrument's pots and working
forward through the signal chain. If you're using any FX, go dry first before using them.
Simply simplify. If all this doesn't work for you, try somebody else's bass. If it does the
same thing, call Presonus. They're really helpful and if you've got a bad interface they'll
probably send you a replacement or repair yours if something's wrong
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 10:15
- © MacMusic 1997-2008