MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dp4 And Yamaha 01x. Will It Work On A G5?, DP4 and Yamaha 01X on G5
LOSG
post Fri 1 Oct 2004, 02:05
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,198

I am looking to purchase a premium DAW and digital mixer for a home studio. I am set on purchasing DP4, (DP4.5 just came out) for use on a G5 with a Yamaha 01X as my control surface. I read a review on Musiciansfriend.com that the MLAN software is buggy at best and that the whole setup was a nightmare. My second choice is to get the DIGI-002 Package along with Protools. Help (I'm loyal to Yamaha).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nels
post Fri 1 Oct 2004, 06:15
Post #2

Member No.: 25,398

Sadly, I must say to you, ....DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

I started researching the O1X almost 3 years ago. I was dazzled, as many were and still are, by the mLan concept and so I got hooked. Big Time! After that, there was one release date promised after another, until finally the bugger showed it's face on May 6, 2004. Guitar Center had 2 and Sam Ash also had 2, so I went and got me an O1X. ...I was so excited

Well, the O1X was one massive disappointment. The ill symptoms started to appear one by one, like getting many audio crackles and pops on play back, for example. Another was not being able to add effects even to just one track without getting error message after error message. And the O1X's Transport Control buttons didn't fully function either. Very frustrating! After 2 1/2 weeks of that, I finally got in touch with a yamaha tech/rep. ...and that's when I learned that they(Yamaha) was still working on the drivers for Digital Performer / Mac OS X. ...Reportedly, there were some Windows based users of the O1X seemingly running well, but I'd read they still had there share of problems running a full fledged mLan network.(Motif, I88, O1X, using only Firewire connections)

I'm so thankful for Guitar Center's 30 day return policy cause as sorry as I was to have to take it back, it had to be done. Some good folks didn't have that option and so now they have a $1499.00 paperweight. And there's many more mLan capable products used as paperweights as well. ...Read the forums.

I'm convinced that, like much of the software that is released unfinished to date, Yamaha was knowingly practicing similar
tactics. ..And to this day, 4 months later, the thing(O1X) still doesn't work as falsely advertised. The only Sequencing Software that the O1X simi works with is Steinberg's Cubase SX, but still not flawless by no means.

I too have been a loyal Yamaha fan/customer for many years(I'm 47). I still own a Yamaha Multi Effects FX 900, a Yamaha Motion BII Bass Guitar, and I've used Yamaha stage monitors, Yamaha amps, etc., but ...and as harsh as this may sound, ...NO MORE YAMAHA FOR ME.

We all need to take a better stand to stamp out / disallow this pattern of corruption to continue to exist. And we each should start somewhere. ...Cause if we just keep taking it, ..they'll just keep on dishing it out.

If your looking for an all in one audio/midi interface/Control Surface, you should checkout the Tascam FW1884.

Currently, I'm using DP 4.12 / Motu 828mkII / Mac Powerbook G4 1.25 w/Superdrive / Mac OS X, version 10.3.5 ...and I couldn't be happier. ...I'll continue to use the mouse until another compact, non-Yamaha Firewire Control Surface materializes.

Good luck

This post has been edited by Nels: Fri 1 Oct 2004, 06:23

+Quote Post
Mac-Dee
post Fri 1 Oct 2004, 07:15
Post #3

Member No.: 36,296

hey differently Stay clear of the 01x to many problems ,
i think the digi 002 or 002r is good if you wanna go protools , i am a logic fan , but i do more composing, if you want to do more midi/composing , the emagic logic pro7 is the way to go ,
but audio wise pro tools still kicks ass.!

Audio interfaces , u want a control surface built in , the Tascam is pretty good . Bang for ya buck but the meter levels emmmm , check it out you'll see wat i mean....

RME-audio are Very good , but as for a control surface Mackie control Universal is the way to go i think ,

its got lots support.
wats ya price
whats ya main needs,
?>???

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 00:35
- © 440 Forums 2011