MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> pro tools or alternatives?, Looking for the right interface&record/edit software
popcan
post Sat 20 Apr 2002, 22:10
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,334

Just purchased a g3 blue with a g4 400 upgrade, 256 megs, 30 gigs of drive (presumeably 2 drives).If it ever arrives (ebay), I will begin the quest for the rest of the digital audio package.I currently use an a-dat,dumping tracks to my friend's g-4 for editing etc. on pro-tools. In a sea of products, I'd love some guidance re: which way to jump. Should I seek out the used protools le/oo1(selling around here for about $1250 Can.or$750 US.), or is there a cheaper/better way out there? I trust I'm in for some hardware expenditures before the dust settles, but since musicians making money seems to be all but phased out, I must choose my battles.

Thanks for any input, folks.

popcan

--------------------
popcan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 30 Apr 2002, 19:59
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Protools Free… can't get any cheaper.

less cripled than the LE version.

MrT here could help you a bit about that. Else digidesign.com should have some info for you just waiting to uncover, as compatible interfaces…

If you need just audio, go protools, if some midi is involved it's a different thing.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Mr.T
post Wed 1 May 2002, 12:19
Post #3

SuperHero

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,244

'I currently use an a-dat,dumping tracks to my friend's g-4 for editing etc. on pro-tools'
If, as I think, this means you don't necessarely have to work with PT but can work on any softs then lay the result on ADAT, then back to your friend's PT, you could spend less money going with Logic, DP or even Cubase. Using those, you could almost get any soundcard from the cheapest one to more dedicated-pro ones (such as MOTU's hardware).
Also, you should be aware that PTLE is limited to a 24 tracks count, it also doesn't support Altivec, Dual-processors, OSX or great softs as Reason. Logic and DP do...
PT (LE or TDM) is only usable with dedicated Digidesign hardware (no third party hardware can be used, only: TDM gear, 001,MBox or Audiomedia III, those two would be the cheapest options in term of money) except for PT Free which is kind of a weak version (8 tracks max, weak on plugs count, less features...).

This said, I own both PTLE+001and DP3+2408 and I must admit I very rarely use DP (except when sync with Reason is needed). This is mostly due to the fact that I've been a PT users for years ,specially in the different studios I'm working in as a free lance. Furthermore, DP has too many windows-subwindows, menus-submenus-subsubmenus in my opinion...I would have to work this the manual on my lap...well, the manual being 1000pages long, I don't have time for this...and it would ruin my lap!...
Hope that helps a little. Keep us posted.

PS: not that I wish to discourage you from buying PT (I love that soft so much!), but you should also be aware that some G3 Blue models owners(specially those updated with G4 processors) have experienced trouble shooting with PT...If you still wanna get PT, keep me posted, I could find you more infos on that precise subject from the PT forum and the 'Compato' and 'Answerbase'sections from Digidesign.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 07:25
- © MacMusic 1997-2008