MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Digital Performer And Mac Intel, Troubles with DP 4.5 and Mac Intel
moi180102
post Fri 21 Apr 2006, 12:53
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 79,296

I'm trying to make the DP 4.5 works on a MacBook Pro 2.0/1Ghz. I can open any session, car hear any soundbite selection. Still, I can open, see and manage any window. The problems are:
1. The program doesn't recocgnize the input and output of CoreAudio at the same time.
2. When I press the play button, the program just crashes.
I decided to buy the MacBook Pro because the called Roseta, that is defined by Apple as a kind of translator to the new Intel Chip. Ok! What can I do now. I'm working with my old PowerBook 667/512 because no of my audio programs works properly. Some of them works, but so much slowly in MacBooK then the Powerrbook. So, be warned. The Roseta is not that miracle...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom Attix
post Fri 21 Apr 2006, 14:08
Post #2

Member No.: 79,197

Welcome to bleeding edge hardware. DP5 is either out or will be next week. I think if you'd done your homework, you'd have realized that Rosetta wasn't a miracle and wasn't presented as one.

+Quote Post
lancet
post Fri 21 Apr 2006, 15:44
Post #3

Member No.: 46,480

yea, Rosetta won't do a good job with programs the rely heavily on altivec , if at all.

that means any DAW. Apple flat out states that none of the their Pro apps work with rosetta and that any app that does real time processing won't work very well.

So you have to wait until you Apps are released as Universal binary.

for more.... http://developer.apple.com/documentation/M.../uid/TP40002217

under the Rosetta section..

"Rosetta does not run the following:

Applications built for any version of the Mac OS earlier than Mac OS X —that means Mac OS 9, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 7, and so forth
The Classic environment
Screensavers written for the PowerPC architecture
Code that inserts preferences in the System Preferences pane
Applications that require a G5 processor
Applications that depend on one or more PowerPC-only kernel extensions
Kernel extensions
Java applications with JNI libraries
Java applets in applications that Rosetta can translate; that means a web browser that Rosetta can run translated will not be able to load Java applets."

This post has been edited by lancet: Fri 21 Apr 2006, 15:48

--------------------

+Quote Post
moi180102
post Fri 21 Apr 2006, 23:14
Post #4

QUOTE (lancet @ Apr 21 2006, 14:44)
yea, Rosetta won't do a good job with programs the rely heavily on altivec , if at all.

that means any DAW. Apple flat out states that none of the their Pro apps work with rosetta and that any app that does real time processing won't work very well.

So you have to wait until you Apps are released as Universal binary.

for more.... http://developer.apple.com/documentation/M.../uid/TP40002217

under the Rosetta section..

"Rosetta does not run the following:

Applications built for any version of the Mac OS earlier than Mac OS X —that means Mac OS 9, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 7, and so forth
The Classic environment
Screensavers written for the PowerPC architecture
Code that inserts preferences in the System Preferences pane
Applications that require a G5 processor
Applications that depend on one or more PowerPC-only kernel extensions
Kernel extensions
Java applications with JNI libraries
Java applets in applications that Rosetta can translate; that means a web browser that Rosetta can run translated will not be able to load Java applets."

Thanks so much for your help.

+Quote Post
moi180102
post Sat 22 Apr 2006, 02:49
Post #5

QUOTE (Tom Attix @ Apr 21 2006, 13:08)
Welcome to bleeding edge hardware. DP5 is either out or will be next week. I think if you'd done your homework, you'd have realized that Rosetta wasn't a miracle and wasn't presented as one.

This sounds familiar to you. I've picked from Apple site. So take your own conclusions. I'm Brazilian and in my country is very hard nd expensive to get one of these. E.G., a MacBook Pro simply costs U$ 7.000,00. I think it has to work imediatly. Thanks for your opinion.

"Software just works
When Mac technology makes something easy, it’s hardly news. So here’s more non-news for MacBook Pro owners: software just works. If you see the Universal logo on a new application, that means it will run on Intel- and PowerPC-based Mac computers. For most existing applications, you simply do what you’ve always done: double-click them. Thanks to the Rosetta technology in Mac OS X, they look and feel just like they did before (1)."

+Quote Post
lancet
post Sat 22 Apr 2006, 05:08
Post #6

Member No.: 46,480

QUOTE (moi180102 @ Apr 21 2006, 20:49)
I think it has to work imediatly. Thanks for your opinion.

"Software just works
When Mac technology makes something easy, it’s hardly news. So here’s more non-news for MacBook Pro owners: software just works. If you see the Universal logo on a new application, that means it will run on Intel- and PowerPC-based Mac computers. For most existing applications, you simply do what you’ve always done: double-click them. Thanks to the Rosetta technology in Mac OS X, they look and feel just like they did before (1)."

1. Get more information on Rosetta supported Apple software. Contact the manufacturer directly for 3rd party software.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom Attix
post Sat 22 Apr 2006, 07:50
Post #7

Member No.: 79,197

Sorry, but if you're going to get into high tech music making, you'd better learn to read beyond the hype. As a general rule, in software and in life, NOTHING ever works as advertised. If your going to drop 7K on a laptop, make sure it does what you want.

+Quote Post
azusa
post Sat 22 Apr 2006, 11:33
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,031

DP 4.5 is not compatible with Macintel, and neither DP5.

+Quote Post
moi180102
post Sat 22 Apr 2006, 13:29
Post #9

QUOTE (Tom Attix @ Apr 22 2006, 06:50)
Sorry, but if you're going to get into high tech music making, you'd better learn to read beyond the hype. As a general rule, in software and in life, NOTHING ever works as advertised. If your going to drop 7K on a laptop, make sure it does what you want.

Ok. But the point is:
If MacBook is a high-end equipment, its target is exactly the people that uses the apps with problems. Other consumers can wait. We can't. Seems to me a strategy to sell more Apple apps. Look, Tomm, I'm a great Apple fan, but this time Apple didn't work as usual.

This post has been edited by moi180102: Sat 22 Apr 2006, 14:03

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Sun 23 Apr 2006, 15:26
Post #10

Member No.: 11,156

But, this is exaclty like when Apple moved from 68k machines to PPC machines. At first the apps were few and far between that would run natively. For almost a year, the bleeding edge users (think current pro-app users) had to either wait or experience lagging performance at best. Once the application manufacturers 'caught up', the platform move made a huge boost in performance for everyone. The PowerPC chip made the Mac a truly competitive platform in the PC market for speed and reliability and paved the way for the G3 - G5 chipsets.

We had these same issues when OS X was released. Apps had to be revved to work with Mac OS X. MOTU was one of the first to complete the transition to OS X, but it was well worth the wait (I remember running my G4 in OS 9 for quite a while, even after installing OS X on it so I could continue to record).

Now Intel based Macs.

FYI, all maunufacturers are provided with Apple hardware before it is released in order to build their applications and other goodies to work with the new platform, regardless of what it is (new chip, faster machine, G4 -> G5,etc). It is up to the manufacturer to have their apps ready. That the Intel based Macs were ready to ship 5 months ahead of the original schedule is *the* problem. But, what would you expect Apple to do? Hold off on being able to ship the new product because they did a better job of getting the units ready?

I completely understand your frustration in this, but this is the nature of technology. And, for the majority of items, the Mac and the software for it does "just work". Much more so than a PC based system. And since Apple doesn't code for complete backwards compatibility, you have faster performance and fewer problems long term.

The point is, I don't think you can lay all of this at the Apple door. But, again, I definiltey understand where you are coming from.

paz...

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 11:21
- © MacMusic 1997-2008