MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do I Need An Audio Interface? Which One?, Audio interface DX7 MIDI Sequencer Setup
post Wed 13 Nov 2002, 15:21
Post #1

Group:
Member No.: 0

Hello!

I've got PTFree, Logic 4.8.1 installed on my imac OS 9.2.2.
Concerning MIDI, my DX7 is connected to the imac via the Midiman Uno 1*1 (Midi Interface).
I've connected the sound output of the DX7 to the mic input of the imac via an adapter but when I record/play a midi track on any of my sequencers, there's just NO SOUND going out of my imac!
Actually, the only possibility to hear this sound is to listen to the DX7 via the headphones or to connect the sound output of the DX7 to my stereo!

It seems like I need an audio interface since my imac is not expensive enough to provide me with good staff (the internal speakers are worse than any ones on PCs....let's switch!!!)....
Which one would you recommend me?
How is the delta 44 from midiman ?

Finally, as a beginner , I'm wondering what else should I get before beeing able to RECORD MUSIC?!

thanx !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Johnny Valium
post Wed 13 Nov 2002, 20:05
Post #2

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 233

Hi,

i think the small Emagic USB Interface (Emi something) would be a good choice for you. Should work perfectly with Logic and also with PT Free.

After that, nothing will stop you anymore.
Except maybe, the ghost in the machine.rolleyes.gif

No kidding, a decent audio interface is a must when recording with a computer. You will be able to record and mix masses of DX7 tracks. When you start recording vocals or other live instruments you should consider buying a nice microphone...and maybe a mixing board...a good preamp always improves the sound..etc ad infinitum.

After all, saving money for new gear is almost half the fun when you're building your little studio.

Never give up

Johnny

--------------------
The Artist Formerly Known As AxL

+Quote Post
post Thu 14 Nov 2002, 12:46
Post #3

Group:

I've bought the midiman UNo 1*1 some weeks ago, should I have bought a combined Midi/Audio Interface?
What are the drawbacks and advantage of combined and separate interfaces?

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Thu 14 Nov 2002, 13:15
Post #4

Member No.: 6,734

Hamard, here's an outline of three ways to go with your iMac:

BUDGET STARTER PACKAGE:
1. A Griffin Technology's iMic for audio input (around $50.00)
2. A Grifiin Technology's Speaker Breakout cable, for connecting any speakers of your choice. (Check to make sure you have the right port on your iMac, but I believe most or all iMacs have it; around $25.00)

That's essentially all you'd need to start making music. I have no affiliation with Griffin Technology; they just have the cheapest solution around. There are conflicting reports on results with the iMic, and I don't have one, so can't tell you.

BIT BETTER STARTER PACKAGE:
1. A good mixer with mic pre-amps (Mackie 1202s can be picked up used very reasonably)
2. Adapters for I/O between the mixer and your iMac. (You'll need the kind of pigtails that combine two separate cords from the L/R output of the mixer to a stereo mini-plug into the iMac, and then one going the other way out from the iMac back to L/R inputs on the mixer for output to your monitor speakers.)

This doesn't require an audio interface, per se, since you're using the mixer to give the computer the proper signal for whatever you're feeding through it. The attractive thing about this is the mixer will always be useful for many things, and can carry right over to and be used with the...

EVEN BETTER STARTER PACKAGE:
1. Mixer (see above--but optional depending on 2, below)
2. USB audio interface, with/without mixer capabilities

There are several options to chooe from for USB audio interfaces. All give you control over the signal levels (sort of a mini-mixer), many have decent mic preamps. Some, like the Event EZbus, are themselves complete digital mixers as well as audio interfaces, and even have MIDI connection capabilities too. There are too many to list here, but this page list most of them at many different price points:

http://www.audiomidi.com/viewgroup.cfm?Sub...p_ID=63&clid=74

Edirol has several choices. The Tascam US-224 might be a good choice. Explore. Do some research.

Hope that helps give you a kick-start and some options.

+Quote Post
post Thu 14 Nov 2002, 13:59
Post #5

Group:

thanks again Levon for your help!
I've got a Marantz analog multitrack recorder, so do you consider that as an appropriate mixe?
In that case I'd just need the specific adapter you described.
did you mean black-red cinch cables actually? How could I connect that to the mic input of the imac?
Maybe I've got a something like that at home (?), let's check...

At the moment I regret to have bought the midiman uno since I probably should have bought a midi/audio interface such as Edirol UA20 or Midiman Quattro....
It seems Midiman is better than Edirol, am I right???

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Fri 15 Nov 2002, 14:53
Post #6

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

I've tried several Edirol interfaces and have been happy with all of them - UA-20, UA-5, UA-700, they're all good. I've settled on the UA-700 because you get Midi and the pretty cool guitar amp/mic modelling sections. I'm using the 0.9 beta driver for OS X, working in Logic 5.3.0 running Mac OS 10.1.5. No complaints so far.

As for M-Audio (as Midiman are now known), I've not tried any of their interfaces. All I know is that there have been an awful lot of complaints about them in these forums this year, which kind of put me off. Their products look good on paper and they might have sorted any problems out by now, of course, so all you can do is try one.

What's the worst that can happen? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Fri 15 Nov 2002, 15:43
Post #7

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (hamard @ Nov 14 2002, 12:59)
I've got a Marantz analog multitrack recorder, so do you consider that as an appropriate mixe?

I didn't even know Marantz made multitrack recorders, so I have absolutely no idea. Depends on what kinds of in/out capabilities, preamps, and monitoring options it has whether it will serve your needs or not.

In that case I'd just need the specific adapter you described.
did you mean black-red cinch cables actually? How could I connect that to the mic input of the imac?

It's just a short little "Y" cable, or a solid adapter. In either case it has female L/R (guitar plug or RCA, depending on what you're using coming out of the mixer) on one end, and a stereo miniplug on the other. You need two of those: one to go into the computer from the mixer, one to come out of the computer to the mixer.

It seems Midiman is better than Edirol, am I right???

Depends on who you talk to. As Rickenbacker said, there's been a line at the M-Audio complaint desk. You might oughta check other options.

+Quote Post
post Sun 17 Nov 2002, 23:04
Post #8

Group:

Many thanks for your info!
Actually my Marantz has line output in female cinchs, bass and treble buttons so that I can equalize the input sound a little bit...
As far as I remember there is an intergrated preamp (trim?) so even if it's probably not the appropriate equipement, I think I'll still work with that.

+Quote Post
mwalters
post Mon 18 Nov 2002, 04:13
Post #9

Member No.: 9,358

I just bought a used MOTU 2408 mkII. WOW is it nice, I can hook up to 3 ADAT's or 3 Tascam's. Plus has 8 analog in & outs. I highly suggest buying one.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 22 Oct 2024, 22:03
- © MacMusic 1997-2008