MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paranoid Android, Copyright? Creative Commons License?
epidermus
post Thu 8 Jun 2006, 07:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 73,103

Hello, I am about to unleash a few of my songs online in order to get reviews, feedback, general exposure, etc. I'll probably use sites like Garageband.com and Purevolume. Myspace claims ownership of any track I post on its server, sooo I'm a tad wary about that.

I've seen info on both Creative Commons and plain old Copyright, and I'm not sure which one would be better. I'm healthily paranoid about work I've put so much time into.... so I'm leaning toward ALL RIGHTS RESERVED BLAAAAH but I might be wrong. Help?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 9 Jun 2006, 01:32
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

It all depends what you are decided to let go. Both have to be detailed.

A traditional copyright is best defended by some traditional system ownership with editor etc.

CC is perfect if you just want the tune to be around, and you can restrain any use you deem should be made on your personal accord only (like: sampling, commercial use, remix…)

If you're not affiliated to you national copyright system and you don't plan too you can safely (as safe as possible… yet untested in court) use CC but you must read, understand and choose exactly under which licence your tunes are available and make it known. The CC website is clear and well made so you can easily end up with a licence disclaimer protecting you (as you wish to be) while releasing the tune enough to be heard. Also, you're not forced to stay that way til the end of times (as far as I remember)

To give you an idea, for the Wiki, we are balancing between a GPL and CC, but CC is way easier to understand and customize for us, while retaining rights to the site so we can control any commercial use that could be done of it. A traditional copyright would be just unfair for all the people participating.

It all depends what you are decided to let go. Both have to be detailed.

A traditional copyright is best defended by some traditional system ownership with editor etc.

CC is perfect if you just want the tune to be around, and you can restrain any use you deem should be made on your personal accord only (like: sampling, commercial use, remix…)

If you're not affiliated to you national copyright system and you don't plan too you can safely (as safe as possible… yet untested in court) use CC but you must read, understand and choose exactly under which licence your tunes are available and make it known. The CC website is clear and well made so you can easily end up with a licence disclaimer protecting you (as you wish to be) while releasing the tune enough to be heard. Also, you're not forced to stay that way til the end of times (as far as I remember)

To give you an idea, for the Wiki, we are balancing between a GPL and CC, but CC is way easier to understand and customize for us, while retaining rights to the site so we can control any commercial use that could be done of it. A traditional copyright would be just unfair for all the people participating.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 11:10
- © 440 Forums 2011