MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should I Buy A Laptop Or Desktop?
Erik821
post Sat 20 May 2006, 06:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 78,182

I'm sure this has comeup in this forum before but I'd thought I'd ask again since I'm relatively new to Logic (and to Apple for that matter).

I was all set to get a new Mac desktop when the Intel's came out. It was going to be my Christmas present to myself. I had been thinking desktop all this time because in my mind a desktop Mac with oodles of power parked in my home studio just seemed more "pro" or "serious" than getting a Macbook. I was going to really go all out-soundproofing, racks and racks of gear, Neumann's, the whole nine.

Now I'm not so sure.

My situation: 95% VI use. The other 5% would be reserved for my limited guitar and vocal skills on audio tracks. I can see maxing out at around 25-30 Audio instruments in Logic.

I was thinking that if a 17" Macbook Pro was sufficient enough for that, why would I necessarily need a desktop? The benifits of having a laptop seem pretty nice. I can just pick up my firebox and headphones and I'm gone with basically my whole studio in tow.

Oh, and by the way, I live in a three bedroom house. Two of the bedrooms are occupied. I'm in the third (my studio). Wife wants a baby. It would be kind of stupid to build a studio instead of a baby room now anyway. That in itself may just seal the deal.

What do you guys think? 17" MB Pro or desktop? blink.gif

This post has been edited by Erik821: Sat 20 May 2006, 06:28
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fishboisfo
post Sat 20 May 2006, 13:26
Post #2

Member No.: 67,641

It depends -- Electronic music and recording depend on a lot of things. If you will be doing most of your own mastering, I would say desktop. Remember, no matter what, disk speed and processor Ghz is what you need for large and complex CPU tasks -- not just Ram or processor. Desktops will run in the 7000 range, if memory serves, while laptops spin at the 5400 range. The higher the Ghz, the better. (( For example, a quad G5 tower runs at 10 Ghz !! ))

I actually have both laptop and desktop-- and will occasionally record on my laptop or use it as a DAW when I am away; however, I find I will always load all of it back on to my desktop for serious tasks and mastering-- as my laptop has limited "visual real estate", as well as not having the power to run all the plugins, etc that I a;ways use to finish my work.

Just one guys opinion --

good luck !!

-fishboisfo

+Quote Post
Erik821
post Sat 20 May 2006, 19:42
Post #3

Member No.: 78,182

The 17" Macbook pro has the option of adding a 100GB 7200 rpm hard drive, that's a smokin laptop. And an DVI out for more visual real estate. I do see your points though.

+Quote Post
fishboisfo
post Sun 21 May 2006, 00:04
Post #4

Member No.: 67,641

It seems you've already made up your mind. Outstanding choice either way.
cheers-

fishboisfo

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Mon 22 May 2006, 05:13
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

I have a G4 powerbook & I must admit that it gets quite bogged down when I run Ableton & a series of plugs. I look forward to performing with it & have accepted the fact that I will have to use a series of workaround methods like rendering alot of my tracks or even combining a few of them for the purpose of live performance. It won't touch a desktop G5 but I am satisfied enough.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 21:27
- © MacMusic 1997-2008