MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> External Firewire Drive Suggestions, Which one to buy?
smokinshaman
post Mon 28 Jun 2004, 16:53
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,056

i am currently looking to buy an external firewire drive and am in need of suggestions. i know that i want 7200+ rpm and 10ms or less seek time. Also, would love it to be whisper quiet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone using Glyph or Seagate drives? If so, please tell me how they are working for you.

Dumb question: "Do i install DP4 on the internal or external drive?"

KC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PristineRec
post Tue 29 Jun 2004, 03:53
Post #2

Member No.: 33,284

I record to one of these drives:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm...tle=&Template=1

Other World Computing's Mercury Elite Firewire drives. It's whisper quiet (no fan) and I've had no problems recording with it whatsoever. I use the Firewire 800 model, and it's very very fast.

Always run your applications off of your system (internal) drive, and record your audio tracks onto the firewire drive. This will keep the running of the software/operating system from competing with the writingreading of the audio tracks. Also, your internal drive most likely spins at a slower speed, and can't handle as much simultaneous writing/reading as the 7200 RPM firewire drive.

+Quote Post
smokinshaman
post Wed 30 Jun 2004, 01:26
Post #3

Member No.: 34,056

Thanks for reply PristineRec!

Those look like great drives with 8 MB cache. Right now I'm between the OWC and Seagate drives...leaning towards the Seagate drive. I don't have a firewire 800 connection on my PBook G4 12", so I won't be able to take advantage of that connection. Though I am wondering if the OWC might be the better choice down the line if I should ever upgrade the laptop. Ahhh! Decisions Decisions wink.gif

By the way I noticed the OWC uses the Oxford 922 chipset which did have problems in the past with Panther. Am i correct in thinking that issue has been resolved?

Thanks Again,

KC

+Quote Post
iscralatchtical
post Sun 4 Jul 2004, 17:17
Post #4

Member No.: 43,656

lacie is largely recommended in this forum. I took heed and found the lacie to be perfect. The D2 extremes take firewire 400 and 800. Rackmountable with the rack kit from their website. It is whisper quiet as you need, and a very good buy. I recommend.

+Quote Post
PristineRec
post Mon 5 Jul 2004, 19:45
Post #5

Member No.: 33,284

When Panther was first released, there were many firewire drives that had problems losing data when connected to a machine running Panther. Very shortly afterwards, the drive manufacturers developed patches to their firmware to correct the problems. So all drives manufactured since the few weeks after the problem was identified last year have the correct firmware already installed. Almost all of the manufacturers have firmware updates on their websites for drives manufactured prior to Panther's release.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Mon 6 May 2024, 01:54
- © MacMusic 1997-2008