MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dp For Os X?, Is MOTU stuck on the horn of a dilemma?
Levon River
post Wed 11 Dec 2002, 05:11
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,734

This is getting ridiculous. With only 21 more days in the year, MOTU seems to be pushing its "4th quarter 2002" release of DP for OS X to max extreme limits.

Has anybody been in touch with them to find out why they are dragging their unicorn?

It may be carrion by the time they manage to get DP on the shelves.

Sad, sad, bad show performance out of the "Performer" is all I've got to say.

sad.gif angry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Johnny Valium
post Wed 11 Dec 2002, 11:50
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 233

I wake up every morning thinking today might be the day only to get disappointed again. My guess is that they don't have the resources to catch up with emagic or steinberg softwarewise. For example they've never come up with a software synth or sampler. After all they are primarily a hardware company. Lots of Windows people use their hardware and they don't care about Performer.

What I don't understand is that they don't keep their faithful wink.gif users updated about the state of the development. Reading something like "We're in beta testing right now. 200 People involved. Things are looking good, only getting rid of some minor bugs..." would make the waiting considerably less painful for me. I just don't understand the policy.

JV

--------------------
The Artist Formerly Known As AxL

+Quote Post
E rouge
post Thu 12 Dec 2002, 07:10
Post #3

Rookie

Member No.: 9,360

I got something to takr care of your OS X problems...go logic...so much easier , so much better, its just logical!

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Thu 12 Dec 2002, 08:20
Post #4

QUOTE (E rouge @ Dec 12 2002, 06:10)
I got something to takr care of your OS X problems

This thread isn't about "my OS X problems," or about dongle-danglers. You musta' wandered into the wrong topic by mistake.

'S'all right. It can happen. Just hit yer back button. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
deleted
post Fri 20 Dec 2002, 21:24
Post #5

SuperHero

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,562

Levon, i'm also hardly waiting for the os X port of DP. It's been a long wait till os X has been released...

But i'm wondering how MOTU "ported" DP? This long and silent wait maybe means we'll get a real native os X version, and not just a quick&dirty carbonized one..? Any info on this critical point?

Don't you prefer a mature but late app than a fresh but buggy one?

Pro Tools 6 is still beta, Nuendo X also is... I'm mostly doing post-production stuff to picture, and none of them are operationnal and reliable today... I want to stay away from Logic ($$$).

Happily, DP 3.1.1 running with OS 9.2.2 is rock solid here, not a single crash (mostly audio editing, with few MIDI).

Bye.

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Sat 21 Dec 2002, 13:35
Post #6

QUOTE (Yukulele @ Dec 20 2002, 20:24)
Levon, i'm also hardly waiting for the os X port of DP. It's been a long wait till os X has been released...

But i'm wondering how MOTU "ported" DP? This long and silent wait maybe means we'll get a real native os X version, and not just a quick&dirty carbonized one..?  Any info on this critical point?

Man, after all this time, they *better* have a native OS X version, or it's going to look like they were doing their coding using flint tools on stone. And, no, I don't have any info. That's what I was asking everybody else! biggrin.gif I've sat down and polished up the keyboard a few times to send them an e-mail to ask, but no matter how nicely I start out, I can't seem get through the second paragraph without sliding into blue oaths and vulgarity. Being such a gentleman at heart, I just trash it and move on to something else. laugh.gif
Don't you prefer a mature but late app than a fresh but buggy one?

Uh, no, Yuke; as with women, I prefer an app that is both mature and ON TIME! laugh.gif Three years late to the ball ain't my idea of romance.
Happily, DP 3.1.1 running with OS 9.2.2 is rock solid here, not a single crash (mostly audio editing, with few MIDI).

Yeah, it's chugging along on one computer here that's still mostly enslaved to OS 9.2. I walk by it now and then. wink.gif

+Quote Post
deleted
post Mon 23 Dec 2002, 15:51
Post #7

SuperHero

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,562

QUOTE (Levon River @ Dec 21 2002, 14:35)
Man, after all this time, they *better* have a native OS X version, or it's going to look like they were doing their coding using flint tools on stone.

I ment 100% native OS X . At the moment, the only 100% native sequencer that i know of is Intuem... Can someone elaborate about:
Logic ->
Metro ->
Cubase SX ->
Nuendo 2 ->

Yeah, it's chugging along on one computer here that's still mostly enslaved to OS 9.2. I walk by it now and then. wink.gif

Do you think MOTU started working on DP X before the 3.1.1 release? Or just after? Or simultaneously, for X months now? How many developpers does MOTU count?
I just hope MOTU is not in a bad financial situation, anyone?

Bye.

+Quote Post
post Mon 23 Dec 2002, 17:46
Post #8

Group:
Member No.: 0

I suppose you guys are running OS X and are happy or something. Have you ever been to macfixit.com? Geez, it seems you can't do an update to the system software without having about 5 things go south on you. I know, it's always been that way, but, X, with its "don't touch me" setup (too much like Windows!) seems to be about twice as bad.

Having railed, I'll just say that instead of trashing my investment in DP3 and all the peripherals that I've got working so well right now, I'm gonna keep running it and OS 9.1 until I hear most of the problems in X and the next version of DP are cleared up. Not to mention I'll have to upgrade my CPU.

+Quote Post
ryosode
post Mon 23 Dec 2002, 22:54
Post #9

Member No.: 2,270

MOTU is delay the shipment...

http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=17819

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Mon 23 Dec 2002, 23:09
Post #10

BagHun, I spend 99% of my time in OS X on my main computer, and boot into 9 only with a metaphorical gun to my head.

There are several computers around here equipped in different ways, one of which runs mostly in 9.2 with DP. If there's a crush-rush project that has to get done in DP, and that I have to be involved in, I'll wander over, and others use it fairly regularly. It's available. (What's funny-pathetic is that most things run *much* faster in 9 than in X. But I've got so much set up in X, and so little set up in 9, and am so comfortable with X as an operating system, and there were always so many things about 9 and before that I despised, that I really need a massive motivation to boot into 9 myself.)

As for my own projects, I've got so many going, and there is so much I'm able to do with them in other programs to move them along in various ways, that I'm not in any way hurting--just annoyed beyond comprehension with MOTU's sloth on this. I've been spending a lot of time setting up sampler patches and other things, and have done some simply fun experiments in Reason using its sequencer--which have turned out great, and will be completely usable with DP when it ever arrives, either through ReWire or just as exported audio files.

What I actually think (just my opinion) is that MOTU is making the vast bulk of its income from its cross-platform hardware, and so have had most of their company resources focused there--not on DP.

Don't ask me to explain the "thinking" behind that. While MOTU has been fiddling around with DP, naturally the great tide turned toward Logic because it was available in X. Once people make that kind of investment--not only of money but of time in a learning curve (and Logic's is steep for many people)--it practically takes an act of God to get them to pry that dongle out of their port and free themselves. laugh.gif

In 9, DP was cheaper, easier to use, and every ounce as powerful as Logic. There's no way to know right now how it will compare in X. But no matter what it can actually *do*, I don't see any way they will ever win over many if any of the Logic dongle-danglers at this point. I believe their only hope in the software arena right now is die-hard DP loyalists and new customers that they can woo away from the dangers of dongle dangling with an attractive price point and outstanding features.

The horse-race I'm interested in seeing is the newly-revived Metro against DP. As I've said before, I think Core Audio and MIDI services, coupled with Audio Units, is going to be a *major* playing-field leveler. I believe that once these two DAW packages actually hit the shelves, the entire dynamic is going to shift, and we're going to see actual comptetion in the marketplace like we've maybe never seen before--which I think could even go as far as a price war, with even Logic and Steinberg climbing down off their high-horses.

This is all idle and only semi-informed amateur prognostication, but if it happens--you read it here first. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 13:31
- © MacMusic 1997-2008