MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Audio Interface And The Switch.
MazingaZ
post Sat 31 May 2003, 16:43
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,849

I am not a mac owner but may well will be. My girlfriend has me convinced that this titanium I'm typing on is the way to go. I woulld get the bigger screen of course. Aluminium one.

Anyway now I have a Vaio PC thingy with a Wami box that obviously dosen't work on a mac, it barely works on PC. What I'm looking for is an audio interface for the mac. I know there are alot out there, I just don't know what can be used on a mac these days. I don't know where to look/"shop" on the internet. I want to go screen shopping so to speak see some specs. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm looking for something with one stereo 2x1/4 input and double the output jacks with or without midi. Something PCMCIA or firewire. Actually my edirol um1? may work with a mac so I guess I don't need the midi. I think I'll wait untill firewire gets cheaper.

What does everyone use for their Al-book? And where can I see a bunch of these things, please don't say at the music store because I'm in Korea and that is alot different here. There is one big music market that I can't get to everyday.

My set up is the mixer to the audio interface. The audio interface running a sampler out to mixer. Oh yea, how about a good sampler for mac? Audio interface out to monitors. Headphones out of the audio interface.

rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by MazingaZ: Sat 31 May 2003, 17:15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xingu
post Sat 31 May 2003, 21:05
Post #2

Member No.: 6,217

a few places to look...
audioMIDI.com
Musician's Friend
Sweetwater
zzounds
m-audio is supposed to be coming out with a low-end firewire interface (the 410) in late July.
Is USB out of the question for you?

+Quote Post
MazingaZ
post Sun 1 Jun 2003, 10:00
Post #3

Thanks for the links.

I heard usb was not that good for audio. Things may have changed now. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Sun 1 Jun 2003, 18:04
Post #4

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

USB is fine for 2-6 tracks of simultaneous recording but any more than that would need firewire or SCSI. A magaizne tested Emagic's Emi 6/2 USB interface (6 inputs and 2 outputs) and they were surprised to find there were no hicups or problems with 6 channels of input for recording.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
Saurabh Sethi
post Mon 2 Jun 2003, 03:37
Post #5

Member No.: 17,894

QUOTE (MazingaZ @ May 31 2003, 15:43)
I am not a mac owner but may well will be. My girlfriend has me convinced that this titanium I'm typing on is the way to go. I woulld get the bigger screen of course. Aluminium one.

Anyway now I have a Vaio PC thingy with a Wami box that obviously dosen't work on a mac, it barely works on PC. What I'm looking for is an audio interface for the mac. I know there are alot out there, I just don't know what can be used on a mac these days. I don't know where to look/"shop" on the internet. I want to go screen shopping so to speak see some specs. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm looking for something with one stereo 2x1/4 input and double the output jacks with or without midi. Something PCMCIA or firewire. Actually my edirol um1? may work with a mac so I guess I don't need the midi. I think I'll wait untill firewire gets cheaper.

What does everyone use for their Al-book? And where can I see a bunch of these things, please don't say at the music store because I'm in Korea and that is alot different here. There is one big music market that I can't get to everyday.

My set up is the mixer to the audio interface. The audio interface running a sampler out to mixer. Oh yea, how about a good sampler for mac? Audio interface out to monitors. Headphones out of the audio interface.

rolleyes.gif

I think the interfaces that use firewire are more powerful and thus require the large data transfer rate firewire has... So, something similiar to what u are looking for will most likely be USb in most cases, since there is no need for the extra data transfer capabilities tht firewire has... So, USb is probablythe way to go fro you. You may be able to get real good deal on a MOTU 828 Firewire soo, because of the introduction of the 828Mk2.. I remember see MOTU 2408 MK2 fror hundreds less after the new 2408MK3 came out. I widh I had money at the time because the deals were real good, close to half off regular price..
Ive doen a good deal of business with:
www.Sweetwater.com (very knowledgable staff if you aren't sure what u need)
www. musiciansfriend.com (good prices as well, but dont be looking for advice there, just order what you want)

--------------------
Saurabh Sethi

+Quote Post
MazingaZ
post Mon 2 Jun 2003, 15:19
Post #6

Thanks for the advice biggrin.gif .

I love the Spiritualized avitar. They got some tunes comming out.

+Quote Post
bilhep
post Tue 3 Jun 2003, 02:01
Post #7

Member No.: 14,425

zzounds said:

>m-audio is supposed to be coming out with a low-end firewire interface (the 410) in late July...<

Where did you hear this? I had understood they were shipping in May! Thanks?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilhep
post Tue 3 Jun 2003, 02:07
Post #8

Why is IEEE1394 more powerful than USB if USB handles 480MBp/s vs. FireWire's 400? Curious!

--------------------

+Quote Post
xingu
post Tue 3 Jun 2003, 02:43
Post #9

Member No.: 6,217

QUOTE (bilhep @ Jun 2 2003, 20:01)
Where did you hear this? I had understood they were shipping in May! Thanks?

I originally read this in a post over at osxaudio.com... m-audio keeps pushing the date back. zzounds actually lists an anticipated availability date of July 11, while Musician's Friend lists July 25.

+Quote Post
bilhep
post Tue 3 Jun 2003, 06:12
Post #10

I originally read this in a post over at osxaudio.com... m-audio keeps pushing the date back. zzounds actually lists an anticipated availability date of July 11, while Musician's Friend lists July 25.

Thanks! It's getting discouraging; Sam Ash cannot seem to come up with a number!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 13:34
- © MacMusic 1997-2008