MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to Mac Music...making a list
bnun
post Mon 20 Aug 2001, 18:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,543

I've recently purchased an iMac G3 and I would like to start recording my own music. I won't be doing much MIDI stuff. I'll mainly be recording guitar, percussion, vocals through a Shure SM57. I've read a few of the posts around here, but I still need a little clarification about what all I'll need. I'm not looking to go all out, I'm trying to start small.

I've ordered the Pro Tools Free CD, so I'm assuming that will take care of my short-term needs for an application (8 audio tracks should be fine for now). So, now I think I just need a way to get sound into my iMac. I've got 2 ideas as to what might work, so please let me know if I'm way off base.

1. Behringer Mixer - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/rec...1661?pid=631222
This is a little 6 channel mixer. I have seen the iMic, but I wonder if I could run the Mixer into the iMac via the iMic? Could anyone that has experience with this please help?

2. M-Audio Quattro - This is a little more expensive, but from what I understand, I'll can just run my mics into the Quattro and it will hook straight into my USB?

I greatly appreciate any help you folks can give.

Thanks,
Brandon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Mon 20 Aug 2001, 18:48
Post #2

Group:
Member No.: 0

The Behringer you mentioned should work well. You don't really need all those inputs but you can't get anything with phantom power much cheaper than that. MAudio makes a 2 channel mic preamp with phantom power that's supposed to be good.

Get a good cable. Monster makes a cable with the stereo mini plug on one end (for the Mac) and 2 mono 1/4' jacks on the other (http://www.marsmusic.com/store/product_new.jhtml?catid=90&prodid=6371&skuid=6198). The fewer adapters you have to use the better.

Another thing you could do is get a Line6 Guitar Pod for your guitars (If you don't already have one) and use the Tube Preamp setting for your vocals (you'll have to have a 1/4' converter for your SM57). You can run your vocals through all the Pod effects! The Pod is awesome.

I'd stay away from USB audio...I think it's pretty crappy.

+Quote Post
Torrent
post Tue 21 Aug 2001, 16:15
Post #3

Member No.: 1,155

I would stay away from USB audio while using Pro Tools. Pro Tools Free does not support any USB hardware and I have read about many USB sound input recording problems with Pro Tools and hardware like the iMic. Until Pro Tools creates a free version that is more hardware friendly, use your analog input, if you have one (which I think iMacs do).

With a basic mixer and a 1/8' stereo jack to 1/4' jack cord tying the mixer and computer together, you will be set. From what I have heard, the key thing that the mixer can do that the M-audio quattro can't is adjust the line/mic levels. This is very important if you want to plug your guitar or mic in directly.

I recommend looking at the DigiDesign users conference on the support page at digidesign.com to find out specific details about issues with Pro Tools, as you will most likely have a few starting up.

If at a later date you decide to expand your recording system by using a sequencer like Logic, Cubase, Digital Performer, etc., USB and/or Firewire options are available.

+Quote Post
bnun
post Tue 21 Aug 2001, 17:32
Post #4

Member No.: 1,543

Thanks BagHun and Torrent, you've been really helpful!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 06:54
- © 440 Forums 2011