MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mac Edition Necessary?
cashmoney
post Wed 6 Sep 2006, 17:48
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 77,203

Hey Everyone...I'm fairly new to macs. I have a dual G4 w/ AGP graphics that I want to run 2 displays on. My question is this: Are all cards made by ATI or the ones in the Radeon family mac compatible? Does it necessarily have to be the "mac Edition"? Is the only difference the fact that the mac editions have the apple cinema display output on them? Can I get any ATI or radeon and drop it in? I'm running Tiger and using it for DP 4.6 by the way, if it makes a difference.
The reason I ask is that the "mac edition" cards seem to be much more expensive than their PC equivalents. I'm running 2 Sceptre 19" LCDs via DVI, so does it make a difference?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lancet
post Wed 6 Sep 2006, 18:26
Post #2

Member No.: 46,480

The ROMs are different. see here...

Failure may mean a non-functioning video card

A cheap < $30 adapter is available to go from ADC to DVI. DVI to ADC on the other hand requires a much more expensive $300 adapter. Also, make sure that the Mac (or PC for that matter) card is dual head, or it won't extend the desktop. Some older cards have two connectors but can only mirror 2 displays.

good luck

This post has been edited by lancet: Wed 6 Sep 2006, 18:29

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim Hoyland
post Thu 7 Sep 2006, 11:02
Post #3

Member No.: 81,499

A cheap option is the Village Tronic desktop doubler. Its discontinued but can still be bought at:

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/index.p...facturers_id=27

comes in at £75. VGA only but I've been using one in both 9 and OSX with no problems other than some limitations on QuickTime playback on the extra desktop space.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/commercialmusicstudios

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Thu 7 Sep 2006, 14:50
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,633

Talkin' Loud & Sayin' Nuthin'

I was very pleased to see that someone spoke out when someone asked for a 'Cracked Version' of Logic. Thanks. I was outraged/enraged at the request. I had a big fight with someone who asked for music for free. No one responded except me. It got pretty ugly. I'm talkin'... I wanted to meet and blast this person... Crazy.

I used to enjoy reading the Posts and Replys. I learned a lot, even if what I was learning did not effect me or my 'Set-Up'... I learned. There are some very clever people out there. Now sometimes only one Post and it's someone asking for a Free Copy of Logic! This same person will download, sample, loop & Thangs and become a tight fisted music enterprise. I cannot express my distaste for music theft. Millions of notes dangle free from the Universe and some can't take 3 or 4 of them and create. They would rather spend time thinking of a way to steal. I don't get it!? I refuse to state views about such matters, it seems useless with so many more serious issues confronting us.

Hi to some of the old timers who I never see listed. Are you guys up and running so smooth because of what was acquired or have you eclipsed newbieism? I could not believe the person asking for a 'Cracked Version'! Must be a PC owner. Sorry, but I never heard of it with Mac. There was a time when I was the only Mac User out of... everyone I knew. They all had, shared, copied, etc. I had nothing and they could not help me because I was on Mac... Perhaps if I had a PC... Hmmm. It's a joke, please don't all kick my ass, but, you also know what I'm saying is true. At least Mac Owners know it's true. Or have I been duped and all you guys are using cracked versions on Mac. Is that why no one spoke out? If this is true I'm the all time fool. Talk to me...

+Quote Post
cashmoney
post Fri 8 Sep 2006, 03:00
Post #5

Member No.: 77,203

QUOTE (Mac Daddy @ Thu 7 Sep 2006, 13:50) *
Talkin' Loud & Sayin' Nuthin'

I was very pleased to see that someone spoke out when someone asked for a 'Cracked Version' of Logic. Thanks. I was outraged/enraged at the request. I had a big fight with someone who asked for music for free. No one responded except me. It got pretty ugly. I'm talkin'... I wanted to meet and blast this person... Crazy.

I used to enjoy reading the Posts and Replys. I learned a lot, even if what I was learning did not effect me or my 'Set-Up'... I learned. There are some very clever people out there. Now sometimes only one Post and it's someone asking for a Free Copy of Logic! This same person will download, sample, loop & Thangs and become a tight fisted music enterprise. I cannot express my distaste for music theft. Millions of notes dangle free from the Universe and some can't take 3 or 4 of them and create. They would rather spend time thinking of a way to steal. I don't get it!? I refuse to state views about such matters, it seems useless with so many more serious issues confronting us.

Hi to some of the old timers who I never see listed. Are you guys up and running so smooth because of what was acquired or have you eclipsed newbieism? I could not believe the person asking for a 'Cracked Version'! Must be a PC owner. Sorry, but I never heard of it with Mac. There was a time when I was the only Mac User out of... everyone I knew. They all had, shared, copied, etc. I had nothing and they could not help me because I was on Mac... Perhaps if I had a PC... Hmmm. It's a joke, please don't all kick my ass, but, you also know what I'm saying is true. At least Mac Owners know it's true. Or have I been duped and all you guys are using cracked versions on Mac. Is that why no one spoke out? If this is true I'm the all time fool. Talk to me...

Umm, farbeit from me to disrespect someone who's been here longer than me, but this has nothing to do with the subject matter of this particular thread. Why did you post that here?

+Quote Post
DANO10
post Fri 8 Sep 2006, 14:33
Post #6

Member No.: 6,512

Hello Mac Daddy,

I agree with you completely. What has happened to our Fourm? Where is everybody? Why are there so few posts? Who are the "New Posters"? All are welcome to post questions about MACS, but where is everybody?

DANO10 sad.gif

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Fri 8 Sep 2006, 15:21
Post #7

Advanced Member

cashmoney, the "Hint" was: Talkin' Loud Sayin' Nutnin'...

It was just a "Shout" for the person who spoke up and to those who think the same... Someone was asking for a 'Cracked Version' in this Forum and it demanded far more of a response than it received. So, I threw in my 2¢. I'm funny like that... Militant background. You're either part of the solution or part of the problem. I make music not war. True, cashmoney, my Post was not related to Technical Matters. It was saying steal somewhere else.

Technically, I cannot get Steinburgs Virtual Guitarist and Virtual Guitarist Electric Edition to work properly... I know there is the New Virtual Guitarist, I have every intention of eventually getting it, if, if, I can't get what I already have working.

Anyone out the able to use VST in AU? I have fxpansions VST-AU Adapter, but, anyone know how to make this work? Steinburg told me, on the phone "We don't 'Support' it, however, I am told it can work. Anyone?

+Quote Post
paideia
post Sat 9 Sep 2006, 11:45
Post #8

Member No.: 41,060

It works, I use fxpansion vst to au with virtual guitarist and work fine, withaut problem.

+Quote Post
lancet
post Sat 9 Sep 2006, 16:18
Post #9

Member No.: 46,480

QUOTE (Mac Daddy @ Thu 7 Sep 2006, 09:50) *
I used to enjoy reading the Posts and Replys. I learned a lot, even if what I was learning did not effect me or my 'Set-Up'... I learned.

yea. I agree, but this thread was going fairly well. The original poster, asked a question and was getting "on topic" plies.

This has gone wildly OT and is a little like what you're complaining about.

I mean no disrespect. I'm sure you mis-posted, given your long and illustrious history here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Sat 9 Sep 2006, 17:42
Post #10

Advanced Member

DANO10, hi. I think the reason the Forum is so quiet is that once people get their problem solved there is no need to Post Questions/Problems... There used to be great dialogue and information shared. The Forum used to be a Daily Reading Ritual for me. Is lepetitmartien still there? Last I heard he got his Mac returned from a major repair and that was the last Iime I saw his name. lepetitmartien are you alright? Coldharbor, Deaconblue? Last I heard Deaconblue was doing really great, musically and generally. Where is the guy with the Quad? I really wanted to hear more about the performance. Anyone else have the Quad? Last I heard only one was here?! The person with the Mackie Onxy problems, what happened?

paideia regarding Virtual Guitarist... Where are 'YOUR' VG Files located? When I Open VG it says: Can't Find Files. I don't understand because I can see it, all Gig and a bit...

paideia, can you perhaps give me a little more advice other than 'it works fine'? I am prompted to Load The Original CD... However, in doing so will it try to Load again? Why is it not finding is my Question. Again, where are you VG Files located?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 15:19
- © MacMusic 1997-2008