MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tweaking Your Mac - Djing, ideas on how to optimize my mac for djing
apachateca
post Mon 30 Apr 2007, 19:53
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88,357

hey there everyone- posted this also over in a logic forum, so i apologize, probably more fitting here.
anywheys- looking for advice on what i can do to my deck- a G4 1GHZ powerbook, to turn it into a dedicated dj machine. i will probably be using ms pinky and some dj program, along with turntables, in addition to the hercules dj controller and maybe a midi/firewire capable mixer. might get rid of hercules, idk yet.
i would like to know how i can run my computer with the lightest load- i.e.- what programs don't i need, or better yet, what is the minimal basic mac frameworks that i do need. i want it to be super stripped down, a dedicated djing outfit. no internet, no music production software, no superfluous languages, no graphics programs i don't need, etc. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. look forward to hearing yur thoughs!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 1 May 2007, 17:41
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

I suppose you run OS X. Then the only part of the system to "disable" is Dashboard. For this, download OnyX and disable Dashboard in Parameters/Dashboard and Exposé.

All the other services won't eat CPU cycles if NOT used.

You'll have to set performances to max for the powerbook if on mains in the energy saving system preference panel.

Verify you don't have apps loading on start up you don't need in system preferences/accounts.

Then there's the usual, as much RAM as possible, audio files on an external firewire drive…

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
apachateca
post Tue 1 May 2007, 18:00
Post #3

running 10.3.9 so dashboard is not an issue...but you're saying i don't need to do a custom reinstall to get the light weight i'm looking for- don't worry about it? have a external firewire drive,i do need more ram- is it possible to upgrayedd the internal hd? ok thanks for yur info- apachateca

This post has been edited by apachateca: Tue 1 May 2007, 18:02

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 2 May 2007, 01:26
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

You can upgrde the internal drive though it's not mandatory. Now I don't remember if it's easy or not on this model, you may either use a technician or do it yourself if there's an how-to on the net and you're not totally finger impaired. wink.gif Maybe an actual user could enlighten you. I'd be very careful on this.

On the OS X you run, if the OS X installed has not been installed by you, you'd better start from scratch with a clean formatted drive, and a clean newly installed system. It's just basic practice to keep surprises out. Think about a custom install to avoid having hundred of MB of epson drivers for example installed by default… they won't be loaded by the system, but they still cramp up the estate.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
apachateca
post Wed 2 May 2007, 17:55
Post #5

ok- thanks- that's what i was looking for...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 18:11
- © MacMusic 1997-2008