MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> Blue Snowball Usb Microphone, Questions about the mic
GreyHope
post Thu 27 Apr 2006, 01:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 79,273

Hey, I'm curious to know if anyone knows anything about Blue's Snowball USB mic...it was recommended to me by my guitar teacher to use for desktop recording. He said I didn't need an interface with it becuase it connects directly to the computer via USB.

thx
Peter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Bubowski
post Thu 27 Apr 2006, 05:41
Post #2

Member No.: 69,157

I too am trying to find out more about USB mics including the Snowball and the Samson C01U. I've heard mixed things about both. I would really like to have something easy to use to record my kids on trumpet and sax. Any ideas or experience would be helpful.

This post has been edited by Bubowski: Thu 27 Apr 2006, 05:41

+Quote Post
GitGeezer
post Thu 27 Apr 2006, 06:31
Post #3

Member No.: 42,280

I have been testing (and using) the Snowball recently. I used it for a voice recording (spoken word) in GarageBand 3 and it worked very well.

HOWEVER, I have been unable to get it to work consistently with Logic Express 7 or Logic Pro 7.1.1. From what I've learned Logic is unable to work with an audio source that is input-only. The solution is supposed to be to set up an "Aggregate Device" object in Audio MIDI Setup/Aggregate Device Editor. I've tried this and had brief success before it failed again. I'll keep trying (my employer sells them) so I'll report back if I have any success.

Caveat Emptor.

--------------------
Quad G5, 4 gig memory, internal and external drives, MOTU Traveler, Logic Pro 7.1.1, Sibelius, Reaktor 5, Absynth 3, Live 5, OS X 4.4

+Quote Post
CptnCrunch
post Wed 10 May 2006, 01:45
Post #4

Member No.: 79,401

Hey guys, I've used both Blue's Snowball and Samson's C01U and prefer the Snowball, it crisper and clearer. It also makes vocals sound really warm and full. I've only used it once for brass (trumpet) and it sounded fantastic. I'm currently studying audio engineering at NYU and so I've used alot of traditional mics and I have to say that the Snowball stacks up nicely to many of those mics. I don't know about problems with Logic, but I've used it with Digital Performer, Cubase, and ProTools with out any problems. My younger brother uses one for podcasting, which I heard it's really good for.

Hope this helps...
Mike smile.gif

+Quote Post
tinyTalkinghead
post Sat 13 May 2006, 19:07
Post #5

Member No.: 79,753

I've also been using Snowball as well as the C01U in school and I must say I genuinely prefer the Snowball over the C01U, it sounds much cleaner and fuller. Also, I've notice that it's quite inspiring to be recording into such an interesting looking mic. A friend who uses a Snowball for demoing all his songs says that it is really inspiring to use, not only cause of it's loks but because it sounds surprisingly good.

+Quote Post
Musicman1
post Tue 25 Mar 2008, 21:16
Post #6

Member No.: 99,850

QUOTE (CptnCrunch @ Wed 10 May 2006, 00:45) *
Hey guys, I've used both Blue's Snowball and Samson's C01U and prefer the Snowball, it crisper and clearer. It also makes vocals sound really warm and full. I've only used it once for brass (trumpet) and it sounded fantastic. I'm currently studying audio engineering at NYU and so I've used alot of traditional mics and I have to say that the Snowball stacks up nicely to many of those mics. I don't know about problems with Logic, but I've used it with Digital Performer, Cubase, and ProTools with out any problems. My younger brother uses one for podcasting, which I heard it's really good for.

Hope this helps...
Mike smile.gif

Could you give me help in how to use the snowball within a cubase project plz as i cant seem to get it to function even tho it works via the computer

+Quote Post
FastEddy
post Thu 7 Aug 2008, 23:43
Post #7

Rookie

Member No.: 102,762

" ... curious to know if anyone knows anything about Blue's Snowball USB mic ..."

Serious? Professional? Forget about it. ....

Amateur and just planning a podcast? ... OK, but these USB connected microphones are all 16 bit conversions to digital = not professional quality ...

That said, I like 'em. And they are a great idea for a VoIP telephone mic or for just recording answering machine messages or YouTube sound tracks ...

This post has been edited by FastEddy: Thu 7 Aug 2008, 23:44

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 9 Aug 2008, 11:42
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

I'd go USB mic only for very low budget obligations.
A decent mic with a decent pre will behave better and is an open system.

A USB mic includes the mic/pre/AD converter for the price of the mic itself, corners HAVE to be cut.

If your audio interface has a decent pre, start with it and buy a decent mic, you can upgrade later for adding another mic and a stand alone pre. Think forward.

Now, if your output is for your blog, some bad radio broadcast, the USB mic can suffice.

About the blue snowball, My personal experience with the not USB version some years ago wasn't that good for singing voice, but it is suited as GitGeezer said.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Buymixcloudfollo...
post Wed 31 Oct 2018, 14:17
Post #9

Member No.: 126,031

QUOTE (GreyHope @ Thu 27 Apr 2006, 01:09) *
Hey, I'm curious to know if anyone knows anything about Blue's Snowball USB mic...it was recommended to me by my guitar teacher to use for desktop recording. He said I didn't need an interface with it becuase it connects directly to the computer via USB.

thx
Peter

Yes, Peter, I'm also used Blue's Snowball USB mic to record sounds and music. It provides clear and quality sound without no air disturbance to record sounds. Great products quality and service so good.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 21:01
- © 440 Forums 2011