MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Midi Problem With Sustain Pedal, Pedal Plays Note
brunomb
post Thu 17 May 2012, 20:21
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 120,668

I am using a MIDI to USB adapter to connect a Yamaha P-155 Keyboard to a Macbook laptop. The adapter works in Garageband and Synthesia. The sustain pedal on the keyboard is not working properly with this setup. Instead of sustaining the notes, when I depress the pedal it plays a note by itself and mixes up different sounds. I don't have experience with MIDI so am clueless as to what is happening. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

EQUIPMENT

• Yamaha P-155 Keyboard
• Apple Macbook dual 2.4 Ghz 2010 model
• Unbranded USB to MIDI adapter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004IJ5FEU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00)

SOFTWARE

• Garageband 2011
• Synthesia
• MAC OS X Lion 10.7.4
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Fri 18 May 2012, 16:18
Post #2

Member No.: 88,124

interesting.
question: the notes and mixed up sounds are coming from GB or Synthesia? that is, they're from the laptop rather than the p-155? i'd guess that's what you mean.
the p-155 is a full sized piano, designed for home use, as i recall. it may have a sustain pedal set up that's more complicated than the usual controller 64 on-off format, that is, it may transmit half pedal data, or something proprietary. check your midi implementation chart in the yamaha manual.
also, cx to make sure you've got the sustain pedal plugged into the correct pedal input on the back of the p-155. there may be several, and they would be sending different data types.
good luck with this one.

QUOTE (brunomb @ Thu 17 May 2012, 12:21) *
I am using a MIDI to USB adapter to connect a Yamaha P-155 Keyboard to a Macbook laptop. The adapter works in Garageband and Synthesia. The sustain pedal on the keyboard is not working properly with this setup. Instead of sustaining the notes, when I depress the pedal it plays a note by itself and mixes up different sounds. I don't have experience with MIDI so am clueless as to what is happening. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

EQUIPMENT

• Yamaha P-155 Keyboard
• Apple Macbook dual 2.4 Ghz 2010 model
• Unbranded USB to MIDI adapter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004IJ5FEU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00)

SOFTWARE

• Garageband 2011
• Synthesia
• MAC OS X Lion 10.7.4

also, it just occurred to me that crappy midi to usb cables can really mess up the data stream. a client had bought a $6 one on amazon to use from his clavinet to GB, and it did something very similar. i had him switch it out with the M-Audio Uno, something like $35, and everything was flawless.

+Quote Post
brunomb
post Sat 19 May 2012, 17:46
Post #3

Thanks for your help. Mot likely it's the "$6" issue you mention that is the cause of the problem. I will get the original adapter from yamaha.

+Quote Post
brunomb
post Sun 20 May 2012, 14:59
Post #4

I've partially solved the problem by unplugging the MDI IN cable to the keyboard (=MIDI OUT from the computer). What seems to be happening is a cumulative effect between 1) and 2) whereas 1) depressing the sustain pedal is causing a note (E3 or E4) to be played, and 2) there seems to be some effect of a MIDI feedback loop where the sound goes from the keyboard to the computer, back to the keyboard and so on. Unplugging one of the MIDI cables as stated above seems to have reduced the MIDI feedback loop VOLUME but hasn't gotten rid of it. The sustain pedal trigering a note in the first place still remains the unsolved problem. Any ideas?

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 26 May 2012, 01:53
Post #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

ground loop in the MIDI network ? wink.gif (maybe)

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
brunomb
post Mon 28 May 2012, 06:23
Post #6

Gave up trying to solve this problem. Got the branded Yamaha USB to MIDI adapter and everything works fine now.

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Mon 28 May 2012, 16:16
Post #7

Member No.: 88,124

sounds like a solution to me. good choice.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 30 May 2012, 19:11
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Sometimes, radicallity does the trick wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 20:19
- © MacMusic 1997-2008