MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dynaudio Or Genelec Monitors?, Which are the best and why?
dave-g
post Fri 11 Feb 2005, 16:49
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,231

I've narrowed my search down to these two pairs of powered monitors:
Dynaudio BM5A
Genelec 1029A

I going to be doing some acoustic instrument recording and then mostly midi, loop/sample based electronic music in a medium sized home studio with concrete walls, tile floors, 15ft wood ceilings. I'm pretty psycho about sound quality and know that these 2 brands have very high standards so I'm sure either would be a good choice. however since they are both pretty heavy and I'm not in the states, having them shipped and then returning them isn't an option. I'm hoping someone here will know how these may perform in an environment similar to mine. I've started working on some acoustic panels for the walls but I've still got a long way to go.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

dave-g

--------------------
Wave Creative Services
Christiansted, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gojinx
post Sat 12 Feb 2005, 10:17
Post #2

Member No.: 45,003

I've had the Genelecs for a few years now and have been very pleased with them-especially for mastering. I'm also orig. from the states but run a studio abroad now. You'd be amazed what your local music store can get for you, because even in small obscure countries (like the one I live in now) has both of these brands available-so my dealers were more than helpful in lending me various brands for testing. I assume you've tried your local music stores-sound companies, etc. It may be a good idea to contact the local radio or TV stations to find out where they get their gear. Hope this helps and that I haven't stated the obvious.

Good luck!!!

This post has been edited by Gojinx: Sat 12 Feb 2005, 10:18

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 12 Feb 2005, 15:11
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Mhmmm I think i've seen this question already elsewhere wink.gif

Well, both are competent monitors, the 1029 really need the sub as they really lag in the bass departement to an annoying point, so you have to deal with the sub placement/balance. The new 8030 have the same problem, the 8040 are way more balanced all alone.

I really like the BM6, and given your alternative, I'd stick to Dynaudio, not that the Genelec are bad, not at all, but it'll be easier to troubleshoot for the correct positioning Now you can still lean to personal taste but the best would be to test in situ then as Gojinx pointed out. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
coldharbour
post Mon 14 Mar 2005, 12:43
Post #4

Member No.: 62,351

I don't know what living in USA has to do with obtaining Genelecs - they are manufactured in Finland, Europe. wink.gif

Anyways, I've always used Genelecs (1030 / 1031) and absolutely couldn't do without them. Haven't tried Dynaudio but I can wholeheartedly recommend Genelecs. The sound is very flat and uncoloured, very accurate - so probably not the #1 choice for those warm and tender moments in your living room but an excellent choice when you have to get some precision mixing done.

You can even do without a sub with 1030s if you have your control room appropriately balanced and the acoustic environment is well desinged.

This post has been edited by coldharbour: Mon 14 Mar 2005, 12:44

+Quote Post
flemming
post Sun 31 Jul 2005, 08:13
Post #5

Member No.: 68,317

Having worked on a selection of studio speakers, including both Genelecs (1029, 1030, 1031, 1032, 1034 and 1039) and Dynaudio (BM5a, BM6, BM15a, M1.5, M2, and M3) I have to say that I by far prefer the sound of the dynnies. genelecs in general hav a tendency to hardness in the high end (the so called genelec honk) which simply isn't the case for Dynaudios. The two options you're considering makes it an even easier choise. The BM5a is a pretty good speaker, whereas (to be honest) the 1029 is a bit of a joke. I've NEVER seen 1029s used in a pro studio environment, and there's a good reason for that. 1029s are VERY small speakers and they sound it.

The best Genelecs would be the 1032s if you ask me. The bigger ones are too big for any practical use (apart from impressing A&R people) and the smaller ones just don't cut it. The best Dynaudios are the M1.5s or the M2s (depending on what size of room you're in). I've been using M1.5s in my own studio for three years, and I never looked back to the 1031/1092 setup I had before.

Anyway. Your best bet would actually be to get both, and then decide for yourself, with your own ears and in your own room which sounds the better. And then take the other set back. Don't trust forums, trust your ears! :-)

+Quote Post
Jsegura
post Sun 31 Jul 2005, 15:17
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 60,731

whereas (to be honest) the 1029 is a bit of a joke. I've NEVER seen 1029s used in a pro studio environment

The Genelec 1029 they are valid tools for a professional studio. They are the Auratone of the present time. It guides to you on sounds of TV, FM, audio of cars and MP3. They do not emphasize by a clean and clear sound, but they fulfill its work. The Dynaudio is another thing. They emphasize by its clarity, cleaning and dynamic range. Their basses are sweet. They are exact for sounds of high quality. The Genelec also but for muddy sounds. They are complementary.

+Quote Post
flemming
post Sun 31 Jul 2005, 15:28
Post #7

Auratone of the present time

Which is exactly why it's a very very very bad idea to use them as the only speakers in a small studio, which is what the original poster is going for. They ... do ... not ... sound ... good. Period. True, you can test how stuff will sound on a bad stereo or an tv with them, but that's not the way to go. If we're talking only speakers, you want something that's capable of showing you as much of what you're doing as possible (at any given price). The small 'toy gennies' don't. They ARE only around half the price of the BM5As though, but if those are his choises I'd say go for the Dynaudios no matter what.

And again: You may think that they are useable in a pro studio environment, but I have NEVER seen them in any of the studios I work in around Europe. Not even as Auratone-replacements. Go figure.

+Quote Post
Jsegura
post Sun 31 Jul 2005, 15:45
Post #8

Group Icon

And again: You may think that they are useable in a pro studio environment, but I have NEVER seen them in any of the studios I work in around Europe. Not even as Auratone-replacements. Go figure.

You will have seen something much worse; Yamaha NS10. That is a silly thing, i think. But each one has its system, and I respect everything. I distrust of the established thing. The Genelec is good complement for the Dynaudio. They have all the mud that the Dynaudio they haven't, and the mud also is necessary to have presents. If it had only a monitor, would be the Dynaudio without a doubt, but if it wanted to complement them with other, would do it with Genelec, no with Yamaha.

+Quote Post
flemming
post Tue 2 Aug 2005, 10:19
Post #9

I've got two sets of NS10s here, one in my control room and one in the keyboard room. I agree with you, they aren't GREAT speakers. In fact, for a very long time I felt the same way as you do, but then I was mixing an album with a mate of mine from Massive Attack and he SWEARS by ns10s. And all of a sudden I understood. Obviously, you shouldn't use them as your only speakers, I'd say I use mine around 30-40% of the time whilst mixing, and the Dynaudio M1.5s the rest of the time. But NS10s are really good for some things. First of all, with great speakers like the dynnies, a lot of music sounds really good just because of the speakers, and some times you need to be able to find the stuff in a mix that DOESN'T work. The NS10s are really good for that. If you've got the balancing wrong, stuff will jump out of the NS10s like mad. They are also very very good for checking vocal levels and riding vocals because of their kinda nasal quality. And for tracking, well let's just say I wouldn't be caught dead without a pair of NS10s tracking vocals now. They are BRILLIANT for checking vocal pitch, nothing beats them there. So, until you've actually worked on a combo of NS10s and good midfield or main monitors, don't diss it! Again, they won't cut it on their own. But as a supplement they are great. Great for checking bass/kick balance too, but you need one HUGE amp strapped on to them for that.

As for your remarks about the small Genelecs, I'm a bit confused. You talk about the MUD of the Gennies. Mud normally means a loss of high end. That's not how people normally would descripe the sound of (small) genelecs. They are very hard and thin sounding, have a very drilling high end. Whereas the BM5As are much more balanced and musical. And less shrill, and thus (in a sense) more muddy. Then again, most speakers sound more muddy than the small Genelecs ... which is a good thing! :-)

+Quote Post
Jsegura
post Tue 2 Aug 2005, 12:18
Post #10

Group Icon

The sound of little Genelec is muddy. Few harmonics and compressed middle. It works to see if attractive middle of Dynaudio, as they sound in a terrenal equipment. Also with the basses. I use them and works . Then, the theory does not interest to me. I have I professional studio. I work with Fairman, Tube-Tech, Avalon, BLUE ( The bottle), Lexicon, Eventide, Apogee, RME, Dynaudio, very many software ......and Genelec too. I obtain that i want. That is the unique thing that is worth. If NS10 work to you, what another person says it is not worth. It is only worth what it works to you.

This post has been edited by Jsegura: Tue 2 Aug 2005, 12:23

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 10:27
- © 440 Forums 2011