MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Midi Input Question, Newbie needs some technical help...
Clint Collins
post Mon 26 Feb 2007, 21:12
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88,840

Hello All,

I haven't found anything yet that appears to answer my question so I'm throwing this out there - please feel free to chastise me if this type of problem has already been addressed.

I'm a relatively new Mac user and have been attempting to play around with Garageband and my old midi controller keyboard. So I bought a USB adapter and I have it installed correctly, because Garageband does read my incoming MIDI data, however whenever I have my controller keyboard powered on it gives me a constant "ding-ing" noise as if some type of error is occurring. I'm using an Edirol UM-1ex for my MIDI-USB conversion and noticed that the MIDI IN light is also flashing like crazy whenever my controller is turned on, like it's being bombarded with signals even when I'm not playing any notes. The controller works fine when I run it through my old Roland SoundCanvas unit, so I'm a little lost as to what this issue is. I guess it's not so much a problem but a nuisance. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Here's my hardware setup:

Mac Mini 1.83 ghz Intel Core Duo w/ OsX ver. 10.4.8
Garageband 3.0.4
Edirol UM-1ex running driver version 2.1.0
Roland A-30 MIDI Keyboard Controller (yes, I know it's -really- old)

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Regards,
Clint
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
apachateca
post Mon 26 Feb 2007, 23:39
Post #2

Member No.: 88,357

as far as i know garageband can only recognize a few midi signals- i could never get midi to work with it...

+Quote Post
Jim Hoyland
post Tue 27 Feb 2007, 11:00
Post #3

Member No.: 81,499

It sounds as if your kybd may be sending some continuous data thats clogging up the USB interface. I don't know the Roland you mention, but if you can edit the midi capability, try switching off some of the continuous controllers, like modulation, pitch bend and aftertouch, in fact everything except midi note on and off.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/commercialmusicstudios

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sun 22 Sep 2024, 20:16
- © MacMusic 1997-2008