MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uad Mkii And 2198 Interface, - the most kick ass-ist sound card?
holli
post Fri 15 Nov 2002, 03:39
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,035

So, will the new UAD mkII and the very sexy looking a/d converter be the ultimate soundcard option?

link: http://www.uaudio.com/products/index.html

here we are, as tantilisingly promised in the previous chapter of the gripping digi-jungle-gate affair.

Ready.. steady.. and get frantic like only big boys and girls who like sexy toys can!

Holli x smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
damann
post Sat 16 Nov 2002, 01:42
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,044

this thread deserves to get real busy!!! laugh.gif
so there is a god after all.
digi who?
pro what?
mot who?
etc etc...

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
Teiwaz
post Sat 16 Nov 2002, 03:43
Post #3

Member No.: 8,882

hear hear! lawdy praise the uad1 card! I will have to get another especially for the altar! (i'd put it next to my kali figure - the destroyer of all things related to greed, but inside a mac's the best place!)

bomb who? oops...it's a hit, er no, a miss...close, a bum factory (right) kinda thang (not). plugs that just emulate old vintage vu meters? how decorative...and pointless?!

dodgy what? aviddn't go near 'em...

thank you universal audio!

tongue.gif

--------------------
Nobody can take from you what you give freely.

+Quote Post
holli
post Sat 16 Nov 2002, 06:58
Post #4

so, have I got this right? It's got two corking preamps, a/d and digital outs.. an the new uad card itself has mutliple adat outputs and inputs. Will it sit alongside motu interfaces I wonder, seems no reason why not I guess. Anyhow I guess something like the 2408 could be brought into service as an additonal d/a converter off the core card/s even without the PCI. That's design foresite for you!

Does anyone know how the uad eq's and compressors compare to say the waves 3.5 master suite?
I have to say in my humble opinion my jaw dropped when I heard what waves had done on these latest plugins. I never want to mix/master with anything lesser! The linear phase thing really does the biz it seems. I knew the theory of phase problems caused by eq and how it can weaken depth and solidity but never heard it improved upon in my own system before.
Holli x

+Quote Post
holli
post Sat 16 Nov 2002, 07:11
Post #5

..by the way, thanks Damann! I'd love to get my hands on a U67 -what 's the tag on these at the mo'?. I've been working up to a U87, but I really want that effortless warmth of those old recordings and wonder if I can get to that with the right preamp or compressor combo (how on earth do they record Brecker these days -pretty awsome).

+Quote Post
Teiwaz
post Sat 16 Nov 2002, 09:03
Post #6

Member No.: 8,882

Hi Holli,

In response to one of the queries, I believe the new uad-1 card mkII has a single adat in/out.

Buy 3 and you have 24 ins & outs. Combined with a 2408 core system and this could turn out to be a whopping 48 adat ins/outs! Overkill...?

It would blow away all competition if universal brought out a killer 8 channel class AA mic/line analog preamp with two adat outs...or is there something out there already along these lines? If recording at sample rates above 24/48khz apparently, you can only get 4 channels of adat audio down one lightpipe due to the increased bandwidth...hence the need for 2 adat outs on a single "hypothetical" 24/192khz 8 ch mic pre...especially for the classical/jazz folks out there who love their dynamic range, and go through hard disks like sweets on xmas day..

Then, of course, the idea that you could use an 8 ch mic pre in "reverse" for mixing ie; have your mixes bussable down the lightpipe straight into the analog circuitry (bypassing the mic pre section) to pass out through a fat XLR analog out when mixing on a rupert neve or some such scenario - not that you would even need to do that! Just put the Waves in and swim like a hammerhead through your digital mixes! bouncy bouncy!

come on, universal audio!! You saw it here first! If you make one, I want my 5%!!

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif laugh.gif

I see the future in the crystal ball...when you mentioned a 2198, you did mean a hypothetical 8 ch 2192, didn't you, Holli?

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Nobody can take from you what you give freely.

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Sat 16 Nov 2002, 13:27
Post #7

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (damann @ Nov 16 2002, 00:42)
digi who?
pro what?
mot who?

OS...what?!?!

unsure.gif rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
holli
post Sat 16 Nov 2002, 17:56
Post #8

laugh.gif yes, er, I mean.. er, yes I did mean the hypowhatsical 8 channel baby! How about getting four 2192's !!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 22:50
- © MacMusic 1997-2008