MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 8/8 Midi-interface
route-electrique
post Sat 21 Jun 2008, 07:50
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101,844

Hello,

I'm will be getting my first Mac soon, prolly iMac 3ghz. I'm using Emagic Unitor 8 in my current PC setup, its connected to "serial" -port of my PC. Can this be used on Mac w/ some kind of "serial-2-USB" -adapter ?. Or do i need to go shopping for other interface, like USB Emagic AMT-8. I'm also happy to hear other options for 8 In/out Midi-Interface. I will be needing atleast 16 In/out -ports in my current setup.

--------------------
"You don't have to go through all this trouble, it's easy, just give me four diodes and i'll build you a ring modulator."-Don Buchla
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kayj_prod
post Sun 22 Jun 2008, 05:00
Post #2

Rookie

Member No.: 99,001

Doesn't the Unitor 8 have USB ports? Certainly the mkII version has I have one in my studio.

I've just finally got some down time to do an upgrade of my old ProTools Mix3 system and I now need to hunt down an OSX driver, but that should be the only problem.

Edit: This might help too: http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/lo...php/t23497.html

This post has been edited by kayj_prod: Sun 22 Jun 2008, 05:01

+Quote Post
route-electrique
post Sun 22 Jun 2008, 13:09
Post #3

QUOTE (kayj_prod @ Sun 22 Jun 2008, 06:00) *
Doesn't the Unitor 8 have USB ports? Certainly the mkII version has I have one in my studio.

I've just finally got some down time to do an upgrade of my old ProTools Mix3 system and I now need to hunt down an OSX driver, but that should be the only problem.

Edit: This might help too: http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/lo...php/t23497.html

Seems i dont have mk2 -version. I need to go shopping! laugh.gif

--------------------
"You don't have to go through all this trouble, it's easy, just give me four diodes and i'll build you a ring modulator."-Don Buchla

+Quote Post
emgcarra
post Sun 22 Jun 2008, 16:40
Post #4

Member No.: 65,694

Hi, I guess you are going to need a dedicated midi interface such MOTU or the like....Those guys (motu) have plenty of models...When that happened to me, I switched to Midi Express 128, witch I found at a very good price @ Amazon...about US$ 128...That piece will give you trouble free operation of 8 in and 8 out....(you can chain two of them too) I also have a Midi Time Piece cemetery of my own....
Hope this tip could be useful.
Guill rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
route-electrique
post Sun 22 Jun 2008, 19:07
Post #5

QUOTE (emgcarra @ Sun 22 Jun 2008, 17:40) *
Hi, I guess you are going to need a dedicated midi interface such MOTU or the like....Those guys (motu) have plenty of models...When that happened to me, I switched to Midi Express 128, witch I found at a very good price @ Amazon...about US$ 128...That piece will give you trouble free operation of 8 in and 8 out....(you can chain two of them too) I also have a Midi Time Piece cemetery of my own....
Hope this tip could be useful.
Guill rolleyes.gif

Yeah, thanks for the tip. Seems like a decent box. I had hard time finding review - if theres one, i'd like to take look at that. I guess i've to go through all my music magazines.. again cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
zenartist
post Mon 23 Jun 2008, 02:16
Post #6

Member No.: 12,395

the Eidrol um-880 is the best midi interface .. usb and most controls .. works without computer .. amt8 never worked for me was a nightmare .. look on ebay

+Quote Post
route-electrique
post Mon 23 Jun 2008, 12:56
Post #7

QUOTE (zenartist @ Mon 23 Jun 2008, 03:16) *
the Eidrol um-880 is the best midi interface .. usb and most controls .. works without computer .. amt8 never worked for me was a nightmare .. look on ebay

Thanks for the another alternative. What kind of setup you have ?. I'm going to work on Logic only, so its important that unit works flawlessly on that. SOS Review of Edirol UM-880 says that "Multiple UM880 units are currently only supported on the PC under Windows 98/ME.". Any idea if this has been fixed ?. I will be needing multiple units.

--------------------

+Quote Post
zenartist
post Mon 23 Jun 2008, 15:34
Post #8

Member No.: 12,395

I use mine with Logic studio 8, Live and Reason .. osx 10.5 and it works flawlessly .. look on ebay for them .. I bought mine online for 149$ from a store 3 years ago when they sold out their stock... I had nothing but problems with the amt8 . its software controled and never worked for me properly and is ancient and has no support the Eidrol has current drivers that work fine... good luck

oops I didnt address the multiple use... I only have 1 but check the Edirol site (Roland) they have info there

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 9 May 2024, 21:11
- © MacMusic 1997-2008