MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How To Record Vocal While Using Audio Playback, set up of input/output
kabie
post Thu 31 Aug 2006, 17:38
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,764

Anyone else share my difficulty with the help/pdf documents for SX3? I'm trying to find my way round it after switching from VST. Many things are clearly better but when you want to address a "how to" question the help systems just don't deliver. I'm trying to set up to record vocals on one track whilst playing back audio backing tracks. I'm using a Presonus 1394 two channel audio interface - I know it's basic- but then I need only one audio channel in. The rest is done using midi input from a Roland keyboard.
I'm sure the answer to this one is pretty basic but I can't find anyhting in the manual to help me. Anyone out there know the answer? angry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
minehead
post Fri 1 Sep 2006, 05:21
Post #2

Member No.: 60,530

You should be able to add an "Audio" track, make sure you have your input set to the interface L or R or 1/2 input, arm the track for recording, hit record, you should hear your playback and a monitor of your live vocal track...so...before you do a take, set it up, make sure you can hear your vocal, get a good level so you can hear yourself and the playback tracks, and BOOM !! it's Rock and Roll time...as always check your drivers if you can't hear anything coming back at you...good luck...

+Quote Post
kabie
post Thu 7 Sep 2006, 11:32
Post #3

QUOTE (minehead @ Fri 1 Sep 2006, 04:21) *
You should be able to add an "Audio" track, make sure you have your input set to the interface L or R or 1/2 input, arm the track for recording, hit record, you should hear your playback and a monitor of your live vocal track...so...before you do a take, set it up, make sure you can hear your vocal, get a good level so you can hear yourself and the playback tracks, and BOOM !! it's Rock and Roll time...as always check your drivers if you can't hear anything coming back at you...good luck...

Thanks for the help - got it working now. Sadly now hitting problems which probably need more serious action. Running OS10.4.7 on G4 933MHz with 1.25Gig RAM. In SX3 find that more complex arrangements - say 8 tracks - seem to give problems of overload when I use compression and EQ. Think I may have to look at an upgrade for the processor. The Sonnet Encore STGH Dual 1.8 GHz looks a likely contender. I'd still have a max RAM of 1.5GHz though. Anyone any experience of this sort of upgrade?
Cheers

+Quote Post
milagromac
post Fri 8 Sep 2006, 15:26
Post #4

Member No.: 80,171

if your are interested in processor upgrade i have had pretty good response with
gigadesigns and i also install those.

here is my website: http://www.milagromac.com

art

+Quote Post
jce44
post Fri 8 Sep 2006, 21:23
Post #5

Group: Validating
Member No.: 74,080

Which model of Mac G4? I just upgraded everything on my PowerMac G4 w/ AGP graphics. Mine has 4 RAM slots and in OS X, it recognizes all of the 2 GB (4 @ 512MB) I've installed.

I highly recommend the Sonnet CPU upgrades. I did get 2 quirkey 1.8 GHz models before the 3rd one worked, but Sonnet support is great and this last CPU has worked without a glitch for 4 months now. It's very stable and amazingly fast.

Check out xlr8yourmac web site to see all of the reports from users on their CPU upgrades.

Try maximizing your RAM first though before the expense of a new CPU? Be sure to buy good quality and check the code numbers on the RAM boards for the highest speeds.

I posted some questions on CPU upgrades a few months ago and got a great response back. Try searching this Forum for it because it had good information in it and helped me decide which CPU upgrade to go for.

Good luck!

--------------------
dB= deciBell. (CAPITOL "B") In honor of Alexander Graham...

+Quote Post
kabie
post Wed 20 Sep 2006, 16:57
Post #6

QUOTE (jce44 @ Fri 8 Sep 2006, 20:23) *
Which model of Mac G4? I just upgraded everything on my PowerMac G4 w/ AGP graphics. Mine has 4 RAM slots and in OS X, it recognizes all of the 2 GB (4 @ 512MB) I've installed.

I highly recommend the Sonnet CPU upgrades. I did get 2 quirkey 1.8 GHz models before the 3rd one worked, but Sonnet support is great and this last CPU has worked without a glitch for 4 months now. It's very stable and amazingly fast.

Check out xlr8yourmac web site to see all of the reports from users on their CPU upgrades.

Try maximizing your RAM first though before the expense of a new CPU? Be sure to buy good quality and check the code numbers on the RAM boards for the highest speeds.

I posted some questions on CPU upgrades a few months ago and got a great response back. Try searching this Forum for it because it had good information in it and helped me decide which CPU upgrade to go for.

Good luck!

Good luck!

+Quote Post
kabie
post Sat 23 Sep 2006, 11:37
Post #7

Good luck!

Good luck!

+Quote Post
kabie
post Sat 23 Sep 2006, 11:50
Post #8

QUOTE(jce44 @ Fri 8 Sep 2006, 20:23)
It's a 933Mhz Power PC G4; Model PowerMac 3.5; CPU type PowerPC G4(2.1); 2MB L3 Cache; 1.25 GB SDRAM, bus speed 133MHz. From the response I've had to queries to upgrade sites it seems I'm restricted to 1.5GB RAM (with only three slots) and that's my main concern. Will 1.5GB be enough to get the best out of a dual processor upgrade. As far as I know SX3 is optimised for dual processor use - but I could be wrong. You've got your G4 up to 2GB- is that because it's a different model or did you manage to add a 4th slot? Do you use SX3?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 11:59
- © MacMusic 1997-2008