MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Mic Should I Buy?
indigoboyny
post Thu 15 Sep 2005, 05:27
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,381

I am a singer/songwriter looking to record my next album. It will only consist of vocals and acoustic guitar. I currently have this setup:
iMac G5
M-Audio MobilePre preamp

I have some elcheapo mics right now, and I want to get something better. I'm looking to spend about 100 bucks. Any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
timoren
post Thu 15 Sep 2005, 09:07
Post #2

Member No.: 62,555

for $100, Audio Technica AT 2020.

But I would highly recommend spending $200 on either a AT 3035 or a Studio Projects C1. The addition of bass roll off and Pad switches makes these mics a thousand times better than what you will get for $100. You wont be sorry after you hear the difference. I personally like the tone of the C1 a little better.

+Quote Post
willismatt
post Thu 15 Sep 2005, 13:57
Post #3

Member No.: 69,944

Yeah I agree with the C1.
It is worth spending a bit more for the vocal mic.
This is what you will be using to record your voice (and maybe other instruments). You want the best sound to go on the track.
Best of luck. blink.gif

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 15 Sep 2005, 14:52
Post #4

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

C1 ditto smile.gif

Studio projets and SE Electronics are BANG for $, Rode are a little less classy.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Sat 17 Sep 2005, 03:06
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

I don't know if you live near a Guitar Center or not but, the MXL producer pack has 2 condenser mics (the 990 & 991) that sound great for 100 bucks - I got on their mailing list & they have some really good blowout sales. I got a Groove Tubes GT55 mic for 300 bucks (with a Presonus Tube Pre thrown in for free) & 2 Oktava MK 219 mics for 69 bucks each ($500 list). The Oktavas were a steal. They sound excellent (never mind the crappy Russian build quality).

This post has been edited by mortalengines: Sat 17 Sep 2005, 03:07

+Quote Post
groovey
post Mon 19 Sep 2005, 10:21
Post #6

Member No.: 46,740

Hi all!! Just wanted to ask you about the C1 at the same time... I've never had heard of such a mic before, but seems like a little reading and browsing over the web turns things around for me too. Found this ->
http://www.mojopie.com/c1.html
Includes a mp3 demo with male vocals on the C1. Sounds pretty much as good as anyone might need. Anyway... I have been just waiting to buy the Rode NT1A, but maybe I should reconsider my shopping list. Don't you think??

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Mon 19 Sep 2005, 16:35
Post #7

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

The C1 is better than the NTIA, but as everything, I'd try before I buy. cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
groovey
post Mon 19 Sep 2005, 17:20
Post #8

Member No.: 46,740

Nah... I guess I'll just go and buy it. It's not easy here in Finland to find a place where mics could really be compared. I guess that 198€ won't be something I'd be crying for afterwards.

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 20 Sep 2005, 00:13
Post #9

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Enjoy! smile.gif

No mic named here is a bad contenders and some are really sweet sounding. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skive31
post Mon 14 Nov 2005, 02:45
Post #10

Rookie

Member No.: 67,973

Hi guys,

I would like to ask you for a mic as well .I am using a home studio without any proper acoustics and i guess that it would be better to get a dynamic mic(i need it for vocals use only) .I am able to spend around 100 euros i guess 120 $ or something ,can you suggest a good mic?
What do you think about red 5 audio's dynamic mic?

Thank you.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 01:46
- © 440 Forums 2011