MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Midi Thru Help, need to hook to physical synths to mac
HITdrumHARD
post Mon 1 Dec 2003, 07:46
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,054

Equipment:
Mac G4 (OS9)
Digi001 w/Pro Tools LE
Kurzweil K2600xs
Korg 01w/fd

Problem:
I have been using this set up minus the Korg for a couple years, and now I decided to dust off the korg and include it in the mix, but my basic midi theory is failing me.

I want to use the K2600 on channels 1-8, and the Korg on 9-16, to avoid doubling up.

I also want to use the k2600 as the controller for both synths. I know its possible, but something in my set up isn't right.

Symptoms:
I have the K2600 hooked as the Midi IN and the Korg as the THRU back to the digi001.

Even with local control off on the Korg, it still responds on whatever channel the K2600 is using to send. I solved that by disabling channels 1-8 on the korg. however, when I select one of the Korg tracks in Pro Tools, set to anything from 9-16, I get midi reponse showing in Pro-Tools, but no audio.

My instinct tells me this is because I also disabled channels 9-16 on the K2600, and it isn't passing through commands on those channels to the korg for that reason. If that is true, it means I have to ENABLE channels 9-16 on the korg during recording, and then DISABLE them during play back.

That can't be the only solution... anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew G blink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
walt
post Sun 7 Dec 2003, 21:43
Post #2

Member No.: 25,868

The ONE imid in/out ports of the Digi 001 is intend to be used as a midi interface to handle only ONE midi device ( synth, drum, sound module
etc.)

Your work around is certainly one big pain in the studio.

Remember that ProTOOLS is truly not a midi sequencer. If it was it would have midi notation and list edit to make life easy when we make mistakes in recording those midi tracks. At the moment all it can do is midi in meta
format. In professional studios they do the "midi" stuff using programs such as Cubase, DigitalPerfomrer and then import the smidi file into ProTOOLS.

+Quote Post
HITdrumHARD
post Mon 8 Dec 2003, 03:10
Post #3

Member No.: 30,054

Thanks walt

I find that albiet clunky, that pro tools works well enough for my midi needs. It actually allows for multiple midi devices to be defined. I also found my mistake with a small amount of research on google.

If any one else needs basic midi setup help, I found this site EXTREMELY helpful:

http://www.midipage.nl/uk_midi_aansl_1.html

Good Luck everyone!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 19 Apr 2024, 23:54
- © 440 Forums 2011