MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
> Mbp Died...what To Get Next?
jcshirke
post Mon 10 Aug 2015, 21:53
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 49,027

Hi,

Long story short: It looks likely that my '09 MBP HD just died on me without warning. If that's the case, then I will be looking for a new computer for my recording needs.

My questions:

1. Is a new iMac a good option for home recording? Or...
2. Should I go with a new Mac Pro? (Or would this be the best solution for true professionals, not necessarily home recording enthusiasts, etc.?)
3. Should I get a new Macbook Pro, so that I could do home recording, but also take it out live, if/when the time comes? Example: I may wish to use Ableton Live to accompany performance.

I'm on the fence. Should I get a rock-solid, high-performance home recording system (either iMac, or Mac Pro)? Or should I have the portability of the MBP?

One thing I will have to deal with is installing all of my apps on the new drive (if I happen to keep the old machine), or on a new machine, and then re-authorize all of them. I don't look forward to that headache. How many of you have had to re-install/re-authorize several music apps (Logic, Live, BFD, FM8, Omnisphere, Trilogy, etc.) when a drive crashed, or when you got a new computer? Was it a nightmare?

Any advice would be appreciated. I can hardly be the first person to have these issues.

Jeff
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
jcshirke
post Mon 10 Aug 2015, 23:49
Post #2

Follow up: My HD seems to be okay, after all. Best guess at the moment is a bad SATA cable. If that's not the problem, then it's the motherboard, which would be the worst scenario of all, and then I'd absolutely need a new machine.

I'm still interested in getting advice about iMac vs Mac Pro, if anyone has any to share.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Tue 11 Aug 2015, 16:12
Post #3

Member No.: 88,124

while i'm still running my 2008 mac pro, i also have a 2015 macbook pro for production. i've found it's powerful, but for my workflow i've got to use external drives and monitors. over at other forums, there's split opinions about the mac pro/high end imac question. a fully loaded new imac is a beast...
and re-installing/authorizing is never fun. my sympathy on that.
let us know what you decide. good luck.

+Quote Post
jcshirke
post Sat 15 Aug 2015, 18:00
Post #4

My life just got a bit more complicated.

Yes, my HD is fine. The tech tried replacing the SATA cable, but there are still problems. The computer will only boot up if the drive is in an external enclosure. As best as he can tell, there must be some other problem on the motherboard. His opinion is that the computer is basically shot.

So, I could:

1. Keep the computer for now and just boot up using the drive in an external enclosure.
2. Buy a 2009 MBP like mine, and toss the old drive in it. I should be good to go.

More expensive options:

3. Buy a new MBP and transfer everything from the old drive to the new one. I have never done this before, though. Will I have to do a clean install of all my apps? I would assume that would be best.
4. Buy a fully decked out iMac and do the same as the above.

Options 1 or 2 are just quick fixes to keep me going. I'm thinking I will have to choose #3 or #4 at some point--possibly soon. If opinion is split about MBP vs iMac, where could I go to do some more reading and/or hear from other users? You mentioned another forum or forums, I believe.

Thanks for your help and input.

Jeff

+Quote Post
supernova777
post Sun 16 Aug 2015, 13:30
Post #5

Member No.: 124,817

when u say u can only boot up from an external drive .. u mean connected via Firewire? or connected via USB? or connected via Thunderbolt? or connected via ESATA (Sonnet Tempo SATA Expresscard?)

obviously running your system drive from USB2.0 or Firewire 800 is going to be a significant performance loss....

if its via thunderbolt or Esata thats managable.

This post has been edited by supernova777: Sun 16 Aug 2015, 13:32

+Quote Post
jcshirke
post Tue 8 Sep 2015, 16:32
Post #6

QUOTE (supernova777 @ Sun 16 Aug 2015, 12:30) *
when u say u can only boot up from an external drive .. u mean connected via Firewire? or connected via USB? or connected via Thunderbolt? or connected via ESATA (Sonnet Tempo SATA Expresscard?)

obviously running your system drive from USB2.0 or Firewire 800 is going to be a significant performance loss....

It's an external USB drive. But I got a new iMac now, so I'm working on transferring files over.

+Quote Post
supernova777
post Fri 25 Sep 2015, 17:39
Post #7

Member No.: 124,817

QUOTE (jcshirke @ Tue 8 Sep 2015, 17:32) *
QUOTE (supernova777 @ Sun 16 Aug 2015, 12:30) *

It's an external USB drive. But I got a new iMac now, so I'm working on transferring files over.

congrats on the new imac..
if it was mine id probably take it to a mac tech to be repaired
if the mbp has the expresscard slots u can get a bootable esata card for it
i think from seritek
http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-6g/
http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1sm2/
http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2sm2-e/

one of those would allow u to have proper normal disk speed but obviously u would lose the ability to be portable with the laptop forced to carry around a firewire drive aswell
the best option is to have it repaired professionally

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 17:55
- © MacMusic 1997-2008