MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Audio Interface - Do I Need One?
shodan_uk
post Tue 6 Apr 2010, 21:35
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 112,616

Hi all,

Having recently migrated from PC to Mac, everything is going well and I'm very happy with my system.

I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading from the built in core audio in my iMac to an external audio interface.I won't be doing much in the way of recording although the option to plug in a mic or single instrument would be nice.

The main reason I'm thinking of making a purchase is because Cubase 5 seems to "choke" from time to time and I get period of silence when audio should be playing. The performance meter isn't maxing out so I'm guessing it's audio subsystem.

Does anyone have any advice?

Cheers,
Terry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pjhk
post Wed 7 Apr 2010, 09:32
Post #2

Member No.: 82,653

hello Terry

While the built-in analog audio is ok for youtube and it's possible to make a digital connection to surround/hometheater amps, go for a dedicated interface for music and audio production. Even if its more on a hobby level. Reasons: they are designed for this with regards to interfacing with the software - higher throughput, less latency and higher audio quality. Most have a mic-preamp and often a hi-z input for recording guitars straight in.

It might appear the market is a djungle of budget stereo in/output interfaces, but I think you'd be wise to go with one of the etablished names. M-audio, the apogee 'one' or 'duet', maybe one of edirol's. Look up forums on the applications you use and see what other users are (or not!) happy with.

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Wed 7 Apr 2010, 16:24
Post #3

Member No.: 88,124

I'll second that. even a modest financial output will net an improved experience.
established companies, for sure. i can report that i've used M-Audio interfaces with mixed success, (very budget friendly) and MOTU interfaces with complete satisfaction. (a bit more money)

look at the MOTU ultra lite, i think it's called.
have fun.

+Quote Post
shodan_uk
post Wed 7 Apr 2010, 19:44
Post #4

Member No.: 112,616

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I've gone ahead and ordered myself a TC Electronics Konnekt 6. It's got some good reviews, good connectivity (I don't need MIDI or optical I/O) and comes bundled with a decent TC reverb plugin as an extra bonus!

Cheers,
Terry

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 10:55
- © MacMusic 1997-2008