MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Does Os X Handle Midi Applications?, What midi drivers does OS X use?
Ekay
post Mon 19 Aug 2002, 23:54
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,193

I've just purchased a dual 1.5GB G4 tower. With this powerful computer, I still seem to have to do all my midi work in OS 9.2 using the old thecnology of the OMS set up. Is there any hope for OS X to be able to work midi programs? I understand that Digital Performer (available in September) will be able to work in OS X - what drivers will it use to work with midi files?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Tue 20 Aug 2002, 00:59
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

cool.gif

OSX won't require any OMS-like drivers for midi, it's all handled at the OS level.

Jaguar the new OS update scheduled to be released next week contains the final missing pieces for audio and midi.

Steinberg, MOTU, and Apple/eMagic, hope to have product out by the fourth quarter.

G-Dub

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
Ekay
post Tue 20 Aug 2002, 03:56
Post #3

Member No.: 3,193

That is probably the best news I've had concerning my audio/midi work! I rather dislike OMS and all its hoops, not to mention it's just old technology.

Will there be any midi "set ups" to manipulate in OS X? ... or any audio/midi concerns I would need to learn before getting gear and software running?

I use Finale for notation - word is that they will "get with the program" in next year's update, so, until then, I'll have to use OMS and OS 9.2 for that. (ugh)

Thank you for your prompt reply to my question. I have reserved my copy of Jaguar - I've read it's well worth the wait. :-)

+Quote Post
KenW
post Tue 20 Aug 2002, 21:58
Post #4

Member No.: 7,005

It all sounds like magic that jaguar will do all the work for me! I've just come back to music on my (now OSX) G4 with the new Sibelius v2. Marvellous bit of software but of course the Opcode MIDIport and the Korg 05R/W gave trouble.
Can someone explain just what jaguar will (and won't) do for me. Do I still need to throw away the MIDIport if I want to stay in OSX?

+Quote Post
danml69
post Wed 21 Aug 2002, 05:05
Post #5

Rookie

Member No.: 7,018

With the new midi handling capabilities of OS 10.2, will it detect my Opcode Studio 4 thats attached to the Griffin G4port serial connection on my Quicksiver??? huh.gif

+Quote Post
formatj
post Wed 21 Aug 2002, 10:40
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 5,658

No serial MIDI interface from any manufacturer will work with OSX (even using a Griffin Gport).
You will need to buy a USB model.

Matt

+Quote Post
danml69
post Sat 24 Aug 2002, 05:26
Post #7

Rookie

Member No.: 7,018

I have a Studio4 midi(serial) and emagic audiowerk2 pci card. They both work pretty well in OS9. I just got 10.2 installed. Very excited about the speed,stability and core audio capabilties of the new build. I was hoping that the audiowerk2 card would show-up as a sound option in 10.2.........nope!! Are there any drivers to get it to work in 10.2 out there?? Or is our only sound options USB based?? I was also wondering if 2 different USB midi interfaces are hooked-up, would both would be recognized? The reason I ask is Midiman has a 4 channel USB audio/1 midi in-out device. They also have a 4 in-out midi device. I need 5 in's and out's for my midi rack. The combo seems like a pretty good fit for my needs if it will work.
Thanks in advance for any imput.
Dan

+Quote Post
filarion
post Sat 24 Aug 2002, 13:17
Post #8

Member No.: 5,666

Since the Audiowerk2 has been out of production for a while I wouldn´t hold my breath for osx drivers, but you might get lucky..

As for USB Audio Interfaces, be very careful and read lots of reviews, especially in newsgroups. There are plenty of issues and problems with USB audio interfaces, but it might be the thing for you anyways. If your budget allows though, you should look into the Hammerfall or MOTU lineups, both have alphs or beta OSX drivers and are very good manufacturers.

+Quote Post
BusError
post Sat 24 Aug 2002, 14:03
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,795

Be especialy warry of the "iMic" thing. it looks like a good cheap deal, but it appearts to but just the cheap part. Everyone reports pops & clicks during recording.

If you pick USB, take a 'compliant' audio interface; they don't need drivers at all (well, not any third party ones anyway) so they start working as soon as you plug them in.

For my part, I'm delighted with the EZbus, but of course it does a lot more than just being an usb ADC. The device does 2 channels both ways, in 16 or 24 bits on the USB port (that and MIDI)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Sat 24 Aug 2002, 22:51
Post #10

Member No.: 6,734

On the serial MIDI device question: does *anybody* have *any* information on the file in OS X 10.2 called "AppleMIDISerialDriver"?

It's in this path:

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMIDISerialDriver.plugin/Contents/MacOS/

Does this mean that Apple is supporting serial MIDI devices if the manufacturers provide a driver, or is it a driver for determining the positions of asteroids in the Horsehead nebula, or perhaps something else entirely?

Just wondering.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 09:46
- © MacMusic 1997-2008