MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting Started, With an emphasis in Music
iShawn
post Sat 23 Jul 2005, 05:30
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 54,280

Hey there. I am only interested in developing programs and effects for music... so I don't want to study a language that doesn't use this. I plan to go strictly mac, and use Logic software - so what kind of porgrams are there to learn to use/edit and what are the main programming languages out there that one can use for music? Also, I want to be able to create Audio Unit effects and other mac-related music effects/software - what are the main langauges for that? I'll get started with those langauges in mind... and if anyone has a great starting place for me; please let me know.

As always - thanks a bunch!

--------------------
-Shawn
Powerbook 1.5GHz G4 512RAM
Presonus Firepod | Logic Express 7.1 | Keystation 49e | 10.4.2 OS X
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mac-Dee
post Sun 24 Jul 2005, 04:04
Post #2

Member No.: 36,296

hey there Mate ,

one thing i just wanted to know was do you want to devolope/make proggrams like logic and be involved in building the software pluggins / (music effects) , if so i can't help you out on where to start a place to go maybe allmediastudios.com and ask people in there ,

If its making music , then you have a big choice , most of the proggrams out all have there own plug ins ( effects eg Delay, reverb etc.)
the best out i think Are
logic , digital performer, gigastudio, if you want to just make simple beats Garage that comes with mac is a great starting place !

+Quote Post
Mac-Dee
post Sun 24 Jul 2005, 04:05
Post #3

Member No.: 36,296

ops didn't realize you had your equipment there , all good my bad ,
well no i can't help ya on this one

+Quote Post
iShawn
post Wed 14 Dec 2005, 01:28
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 54,280

QUOTE (Mac-Dee @ Jul 23 2005, 21:05)
ops didn't realize you had your equipment there , all good my bad ,
well no i can't help ya on this one

That's fine, I think I have an idea where to start. I looked into Apple Documentation that came along with XCode (Since I have a geeky computer side to me biggrin.gif ) and there's an Audio Unit SKD thing there as well as a nice tutorial on it as well. Thanks for the helpful advice though!

--------------------
-Shawn
Powerbook 1.5GHz G4 512RAM
Presonus Firepod | Logic Express 7.1 | Keystation 49e | 10.4.2 OS X

+Quote Post
chucky3000
post Tue 3 Oct 2006, 20:06
Post #5

Member No.: 26,735

QUOTE (iShawn @ Wed 14 Dec 2005, 00:28) *
That's fine, I think I have an idea where to start. I looked into Apple Documentation that came along with XCode (Since I have a geeky computer side to me biggrin.gif ) and there's an Audio Unit SKD thing there as well as a nice tutorial on it as well. Thanks for the helpful advice though!

iShawn, for those just starting out programming, I recommend meta-programming environments like

SonicBirth The demo includes some free plug-ins made using SonicBirth.

Cycling74's MAX this is the grand daddy for creating audio plug-ins.

Or even the synth building environments of Native instrument's Reaktor

With Sonic Birth, I believe you can create stand alone AU plug-ins. The others require run time environments. At $50, SonicBirth is the cheapest of the three.

The advantage to shelling out money for these software creation tools is you can get "real" results quickly. Where as with xCode, you have a much steeper learning curve to hurdle before you get any real results.

The advantages of XCode are price and the fact that anything you create there is more likely to be you and all you.

Best wishes,
chuck

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 16:45
- © MacMusic 1997-2008