MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logic Express Or Reason? Advice Please!, Facing discount deadlines...
dten
post Sun 2 May 2004, 00:31
Post #1

Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,150

Hi everyone, I'm hoping for some advice on a software purchase.

I know that Logic Express is a full DAW and Reason is more of a big synth plug-in, so they're not directly comparable; but hear me out.

I'm somewhat of an audio newbie. Here's my current gear:
* iMac 1.25ghz 512mb RAM
* Boss BR-532 digital 4-track recorder
* GarageBand smile.gif

I've got an electric guitar and a mic going into the BR-532, which is then plugged into the line-in of my iMac via a cheap RCA-to-1/4" Y-adapter. Maybe not best quality, but it works enough for an amateur like me. And I use GarageBand to record audio into different tracks and clean it up a little bit.

I'd really like a software drum machine and soft synths to play with, ala Reason. I'd rather spend my time learning to make my own mediocre stuff instead of sifting through other people's loops looking for something that will never be quite what I'm looking for.

Unfortunately, since Reason is almost $400, it might be a while before I can afford buying it.

However, as a college student, I can buy Logic Express 6 for $150 -- half off the regular price. But that discount runs out in about 6 weeks as I'm about to graduate.

I'm wondering if you people think I should go ahead and buy LE6 now at the discount price, in case I start to need more DAW capabilities than GarageBand can provide, so I won't be kicking myself in the head for not buying it at the discount. Or, should I save up for Reason instead, and just export it into GarageBand tracks?

Or even any other suggestions for my setup?
Thanks in advance.

--------------------
iMac G4 1.25ghz 512, iBook G3 600mhz 384, Logic Pro 6, Live 3, Edirol PCR-50.
http://flinch.org/music
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
terrywil
post Sun 2 May 2004, 02:17
Post #2

Member No.: 29,767

Hi. Definitely go ahead and get the Logic for $150. You'll be glad you did - at least once you learn how to work it. It's not Garageband. It's a fabulous program.

Also, there is a source with an academic package for Reason for $199 - at Florida Music Co. Go to:

http://floridamusicco.com/proddetail.asp?p...?prod=REASONACA

Audiomidi is another source that has an academic package for a little more ($229), just in case Florida Music is a problem. Go to:

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/produc...ct.cfm?pid=2597

I recommend Spectrasonics Stylus for drum loops. Really great program. They have a new technology coming out for Stylus in September that is supposed to be incredible, and the upgrade is free (Sylus RMX S.A.G.E.). It's currently $279 and no academic pricing that I could find.

--------------------
"...I just don't know...it sounds funny."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mac G5, dual 2.0 GHz, MOTU 828 MkII interface, Virus TI Keyboard, Genelec 1029A and Mackie HR824 monitors, Mackie Control Universal, Presonus Eureka and ART DPS II preamps, Presonus Central Station, AKG C1000S and C3000 mics. Logic Pro 7.2, Trilogy, Stylus, Atmosphere, Native Instruments Komplete 2.

+Quote Post
Artist
post Sun 2 May 2004, 13:03
Post #3

Member No.: 37,446

Definately go for Logic. $150 is a steal.

+Quote Post
cruiserman
post Sun 9 May 2004, 20:05
Post #4

Member No.: 42,412

Reason as a full working prog is incredibly versatile, many people see it as an electronic tool box but it's so much more - Todd Rungdren used it for the whole of his new album 'Liars' except for the guitar and vocal parts, everything was exported from Reason as audio files and then mixed in Pro Tools.

Reason can be as creative to use as any individual wants it to be, and when used in conjuction with something like Logic Express or Garageband for that matter it will blow you away.

You may need to get a book on how to get the best from it, but once you have the knowledge, you can do anything.

M cool.gif

--------------------
Feelin Funky for ya!
Check out some of my tracks here: http://www.letstalkmusic.com/cruiserman

+Quote Post
fingers
post Thu 13 May 2004, 13:17
Post #5

Member No.: 42,152

Reason when ReWired to GarageBand is a fantastic combo. They run together perfectly in sync even on my 667 TiBook...

Maybe propellerhead's have a demo?

I haven't tried Logic Express tho...

MacIDOL

This post has been edited by fingers: Thu 13 May 2004, 13:20

+Quote Post
dten
post Thu 13 May 2004, 20:33
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 29,150

Hey, have any of you checked out Tracktion?

It looks pretty nice. I tried the demo and it's a very intuitive and fast workflow. Comes with its own FX, supports VST (which we can't say of Logic anymore?) and ReWire. And it's $80 flippin bucks.

Should I even bother with Logic Express or Pro -- is Tracktion the new way to go if you aren't already trained in Logic? (especially since the cash you save can be applied towards more plugins, and Reason)

--------------------
iMac G4 1.25ghz 512, iBook G3 600mhz 384, Logic Pro 6, Live 3, Edirol PCR-50.
http://flinch.org/music

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 21 May 2024, 15:52
- © MacMusic 1997-2008