MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer Djing
apachateca
post Mon 30 Apr 2007, 19:41
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 88,357

hey everybody- i'm looking for advice on setting up my mac for laptop djing. right now i have a 12" powerbook G4 1GHZ that i would like to use for laptop djing, probably with ms pinky. i would like to know how minimal i can get it. i only have a 40 gig hd in it, so space is limited. i would like to know what is essential to run just a dj program. what files can i get rid of, what programs don't i need, etc. i'm talking barebones stripped, focused solely on djing, no intertubes, no logic, no garageband, i can store my tracks on a thumb drive if need be, but i don't use them so i don't know how much space they really have. thanks for the info, especially from any hardcore geeks/wizards out there. peace!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Tue 1 May 2007, 05:19
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

I use Ableton which streams info directly off of the HD and I am not sure if ms pinky works the same way or not. I do however suggest you go ahead and invest in an Oxford 911 Firewire Hard drive as I understand that with most music apps you will have MUCH better performance if you put all your material on a separate drive and leave your main HD for OS and app functions (never mind that when your laptop's HD dies your material is safely backed up elsewhere). You may be on a budget but www.pacificproaudio.com has VERY reasonable hard drives that will fit almost any budget.

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Tue 1 May 2007, 09:43
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,633

apachateca....

Ms Pinky, would be too important to rely on 12" powerbook G4 1GHz! Sounds like you're going to a Crypts & Bloods Fight (Two Notorious LA Gangs) armed with a bag of Popcorn... I really think you need more "Power". You might be expecting too much from 1GHz. If you are totally "Organized" and "Optimized" you might pull it off... Sounds too "Big" of a "Gig" for such a "Little" "Rig". Laptops can be tempermental at the best of times, however, the thought of a 12" PowerBook under hot conditions, with constant power surges from lights, PA, etc. being responsible for Ms Pinky?!?! I'm feeling nervous about this 'apachateca'.

If you pull it off you're a champion...

+Quote Post
apachateca
post Tue 1 May 2007, 17:55
Post #4

i do have all my music stored on a firewire external drive, but i would like to keep it more minimal, i.e- only load the songs i need on the internal drive. i will be using turnatables for records, but also want to spin some digital files... if i am not using the full capabilites of ms pinky, should i stick with serato?
also- will a digital turntable with a digital mixer allow me to control digital files? would i just need timecode vinyl in such an instance? thanks for yur thoughts- keep em comin ;}

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Wed 2 May 2007, 05:20
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

For whatever it's worth I definitely understand your desire to keep things as minimal as possible but a portable hard drive really doesn't take up much space and if the FW cable is long enough, you can put it on the floor under the table you are working at. I drag mine around to all my gigs....Just don't forget to take it with you. One time I left my HD at home and a radio station gig started about 10 minutes late as a result of my having to race back across town to get it (duh!).

www.myspace,com/mortal_engines

+Quote Post
apachateca
post Wed 2 May 2007, 17:53
Post #6

well ok! i'll take the advice of a practicing dj...thanks for the thoughts- anything else i might want to be aware of, any issues you've come across in yur experience?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 06:27
- © MacMusic 1997-2008