MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Torey Lovullo Said The Surgery Went As Expected, Torey Lovullo said the surgery went as expected
yudan18
post Fri 15 Feb 2019, 04:52
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 126,066

PHOENIX — Closer No. 1 has been out since mid-July.Closer No. 2 http://www.padresfanproshop.com/authentic-...-hoffman-jersey , since Thursday.The loss of Brandon Morrow and Pedro Strop has not left the Cubs anything close to out of late-inning options, however.Article continues below ...“It would be real nice if we could be one of those teams that has the best bullpen ERA in the league,” president Theo Epstein said dryly before Monday’s game.“Oh, wait. That’s us.”You could look it up.The Cubs led the NL in bullpen ERA by a quarter of a run before their 5-1 victory over to Arizona on Monday, recently taking over the league lead in that category from the suddenly fragile Diamondbacks‘ corps.The Cubs did not need a closer Monday, when Javier Baez and Kris Bryant hit two-run homers and Kyle Hendricks was one out short of his fourth career complete game while dropping his ERA to 1.76 in 13 September starts the last three seasons.“It started with fastball command,” Hendricks said. “Willy (catcher Willson Contreras) and I were really aggressive early, which is what I’ve been needing to do lately.”Cubs left-hander Mike Montgomery (4-5) is scheduled to face Matt Andriese (3-4), who will make his first start for the Diamondbacks after being acquired from Tampa Bay at the trade deadline.Maybe nothing illustrates the Cubs’ all-arms-on-deck bullpen depth more than their 3-2 victory against Cincinnati last Friday, when former Diamondback left-hander Jorge De La Rosa pitched the ninth for his first career save after back-to-back scoreless innings by Dillon Maples and Jaime Garcia.The Cubs acquired De La Rosa after he was designated for assignment in early August and added Garcia after he had been released by Toronto. Maples has spent most of the year in the minors.“It says a lot about the mettle of those guys,” Epstein said.“We’ve had a deep group all year with contributions from many, many relievers — some expected, some unexpected. They have been resilient. They’ve been executing pitches. It has been next man up. That’s the way it will continue to be.“Obviously we’ve missed Brandon and we’re missing ‘Stropy’ right now. Our pen is more than just one or two guys.”Morrow had 22 saves before going on the disabled list in mid-July, and he is expected back soon, perhaps later in the Arizona series. Strop has 13 saves Evan Longoria Jersey , and five others have at least one.The Cubs’ last five victories have been saved by five different closers — Jesse Chavez, Strop, Randy Rosario, De La Rosa and Steve Cishek.“It’s not exactly the way we drew it up, but we have quality relievers out there who are unafraid and going right at guys and making quality pitches,” Epstein said. “We feel confident we are going to protect leads. It’s just a matter of getting those leads.”The Cubs’ five-run burst was their biggest since a 6-5 loss to Washington on Sept. 8. They have scored 20 runs in their last eight games.The Diamondbacks’ offense has fared a little better recently, scoring 27 runs on a seven-game road trip to Colorado and Houston and getting only three hits Monday. They have lost eight of 10 to fall five games behind the Dodgers in the NL West and five games behind St. Louis for the second wild card.“We want to go out and play our best baseball. That’s all we can do right now,” Arizona manager Torey Lovullo said.“We’ve experienced a lot of frustration over the past 2 1/2, three weeks, but we have to place that aside. We haven’t played our best baseball in a long time, so we want to focus on being ourselves and see where that lands us.”Montgomery has a 3.87 ERA while splitting time between starting and relieving. He rejoined the Cubs’ rotation on Aug. 30 and has been on a limited pitch count since, getting into the fifth inning only once in his last three turn while giving up two runs in four innings in each of his last two.Montgomery has been much more effective as a starter, going 4-4 with a 3.48 in 16 starts. He has made 19 relief appearances. He did not face the Diamondbacks in their previous series after the All-Star break and has a 1.69 ERA in three career outings against them, one start.Andriese, who has a 7.31 ERA in six appearances with Arizona Andrew McCutchen Jersey , did not have decision in four starts with Tampa Bay this season, where he was used as an “opener,” logging only 11 1/3 innings in those starts. He was 3-4 with a 4.07 ERA in 27 appearances with the Rays this season after making 36 starts in 2016-17.His Diamondbacks ERA was skewed by his last outing, when he gave up seven runs in 1 1/3 innings when he asked to take one for the team in the late stages of a 13-2 loss at Colorado last Monday.“I think he can go out there and do his job and execute a game plan,” Lovullo said. “He’s pitched in a very rugged AL East and had a lot of success. Since he’s been here, it’s been good and bad. Him getting the baseball is going to be a whole new fresh outlook on things. I wanted to see what it looked like.” SAN DIEGO (AP) — For a player who was without a job in April, Clay Buchholz is performing like a mainstay.Buchholz pitched a five-hitter, David Peralta hit a three-run homer and the Arizona Diamondbacks beat the San Diego Padres 5-1 on Thursday night in the opener of a four-game series.A minor league free agent signing in May, Buchholz (6-2) allowed a leadoff double to Travis Jankowski but retired the next 13 batters he faced. Hunter Renfroe homered in the eighth before Buchholz retired the side in the ninth en route to his 10th career complete game and his first since 2015.“It felt good,” Buchholz said. “It has been a little bit since I threw a complete game. I didn’t have my changeup, so to do that when you only have a couple of pitches to go to was pretty special.”Buchholz struck out six and did not walk a batter in improving to 3-0 in three career starts at Petco Park. He has won five of his last six starts.“I felt like we had a little bit of a cushion and we could make that decision to stretch him out a little bit,” Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said. “I told him he was on a short leash before the ninth inning started and he said he felt really good. The shape of his pitches and the command of his pitches to the first batter told me he was OK.”Lovullo was a coach with the Red Sox when Buchholz emerged as a promising young pitcher and threw a no-hitter in his second career start.“We hoped this is what we would get from him,” Lovullo said. “From the first bullpen session, we knew there was still something special left in him.”Arizona staked Buchholz to an early lead. Peralta belted a 3-0 pitch from Jacob Nix into the center-field seats as part of a five-run first. Alex Avila added a two-run single in the inning.“I don’t think I’ve done that on a 3-0 pitch before. I just took a chance,” Peralta said. “It went well and we got the lead early http://www.giantsfanproshop.com/authentic-tony-watson-jersey , which is good. You have to find ways to win, and Buchholz did an unbelievable job.”In his second major league start, Nix (1-1) allowed the first five Arizona batters to reach base and was removed from the game after hitting Jon Jay. Nix gave up five runs on five hits and walked five with one strikeout.“Sometimes there’s a learning process involved, especially as quickly as we’ve brought him and a couple other guys here,” Padres manager Andy Green said. “He has good stuff. He’s going to throw well.”Kazuhisa Makita replaced Nix to finish the first and pitched three more scoreless innings for his longest career outing.“I gave up a couple soft hits and walked a couple guys after I got a little frustrated, and next thing you know I was out of the game,” Nix said. “Everybody in here has had tough days, and it’s part of it. It’s not my first, not my last, and I’m not the last guy it’s going to happen to.”Arizona has won its last five games at Petco Park. The complete game is Arizona’s second of the season. Patrick Corbin tossed a complete game on April 17 against San Francisco.TRAINER’S ROOMDiamondbacks: 3B Jake Lamb had successful surgery on his left shoulder on Thursday. Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said the surgery went as expected and Lamb should be ready for spring training in 2019.Padres: RHP Trey Wingenter exited the game after a line drive struck him in the back.UP NEXTDiamondbacks: LHP Robbie Ray (3-2, 4.83) takes the mound for the Arizona in the second of the four-game series. Ray has allowed two or fewer runs in three of his last four starts.Padres: LHP Joey Lucchesi (6-6, 3.45) gets the call for San Diego. Lucchesi had made three starts against Arizona this season and taken the loss each time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 12:36
- © 440 Forums 2011