MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Live Setup, Live
Sideout31
post Mon 8 Nov 2004, 22:22
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 54,653

Hello everybody. I'm new to this site and to programming in general. I am trying to figure out a live setup and am curious as to what will do the trick. I don't want to just push "play" on protools and let the tracks go. We'll have guitars, Rhodes, kit, but I want to know how best to perform the beats and some ambient sounds I've made live. I know I'll have to trigger them somehow and I'm wondering how to trigger them while our drummer can still play to a click. Do I need to use Ableton? An MPC-2000? A Boss RC-20 to loop Rhodes? ASR-10? I don't have money to just try stuff out and see what works, so I want to make the best effort at researching and getting everyone's input. My style of music is most like Bjork's. I don't know how she does her live setup. Please help me and give me your 2 cents worth. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
arvidtp
post Tue 9 Nov 2004, 02:19
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,850

sounds like you are either looking for Live 4 as a 'prefab' solution , or Cycling'74's MaxMSP if you want to "roll your own" as they say. In that case you could build WHATEVER functionality you have in mind with a little experimentation and manual reading.

Logic Pro I think can also do some of that stuff - touch tracks, sampling, looping, with MIDI control - I have used it for a really simple mostly pre-composed performance, but have not gone deeper with its live capabilities. I dunno much about that yet and I think Live or something you build in MaxMSP would be MUCH more suited to what you want.

buena suerte

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Tue 9 Nov 2004, 06:21
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Not to sure about Logic for Live, there's a little goingin that direction with the GB toos thrown in and with the beat box and its live sequencer, but the whole Logic is not intented for live use that way. So it smell the afterthought too much to be interesting at least now. Especially if you have your own drummer.

Max can do almost anything as long as you program the thing, which can be tedious (if it's not your thing)

Now Live can do that smile.gif For me it's be the easiest and straight out of the box thing. You can edit, effect, play, there's some MIDI into now too, virtual instruments etc.

The MPC in my opinion is more into playing "groovy" samples (think Hip hop rhythmics), the Boss I don't know, the ASR 10 either. So these hardware solution I can't enlighten you for sure.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 16:43
- © 440 Forums 2011