MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help! Usb Problem Pcr-1/windows Xp
KaoTeK
post Tue 17 Apr 2007, 20:24
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,409

Hi all,
I'm hoping somone out there can stop me from being taken away by men in white coats.....
I have a Vaio PCG-K76p with windows XP SP2 installed, I've had my Laptop for over a year and had barely any problems with it, it has, until now been a very solid and stable machine. So my problem is this: I use my machine mostly for writing/sequencing music, and until recently had been doing it all without the use of a MIDI keyboard. I purchased an Edirol PCR-1 and was extremely happy with my purchase. Everything was working fine until the day I decided to do a complete system re-install, something I normally do every now and again to keep evrything nice and clean.

Having backed up everything worth backing up, I re-installed from the recovery disk, applied SP2, downloaded all the updates, re-installed all my software/devices, and everything was fine except Windows just does not recognise the PCR-1, every other USB device works fine, and power is getting to the PCR, as the display lights up (displaying "PCr"), but no matter which way I try, I just cannot get Windows to detect it.

I have searched high and low for the solution, and cannot find an answer thats even close to solving my problem, the only thing that I can think is the USB drivers aren't correct, but everything else works fine, my hunch is that I should have NEC Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller instead of the Standard Enhanced host controller which XP is currently using, but I can't for the life of me find somewhere to download the latest drivers, only numerous sites that lead me around in infuriating circles without giving me the file that I'm after...... My USB stack in Dev Manager looks like this:

NEC PCI to USB open host controller (Driver ver 5.1.2600.2180)
NEC PCI to USB open host controller (Driver ver 5.1.2600.2180)
Sony Ericsson W810 Driver
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (Driver ver 5.1.2600.0)
USB Root hub
USB Root hub
USB Root hub

Everything appears in working order (ie no yellow exclamations) and as I said all other USB devices work fine.

What makes it worse is that for 13 years I made good cash from resolving windows/pc problems but I'm absolutely stumped as what the problem is here..... Just so you know:

No the PCR-1 has not been damaged at all since the re-install
Yes I've tried different cables (all of which are fine on other devices)
Yes I've read (about 1000 times) the PCR manual and support forums for info
Yes I've checked the bios settings and disabled all power saving settings
Yes I've tried installing the PCR without any other USB devices attached.
Yes I've attatched the PCR to a different PC and yes it was detected.
Yes I've Googled!

Sorry for the long message, but I'm visably aging due to this problem so any help would be very much appreciated!!

PS Where can I find a genuine website for up to date drivers (again I've googled and wasted many a night being led in circles....)

Thanks again!! And huge amounts of good Karma to anyone helping me with this issue!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rotter
post Tue 24 Apr 2007, 17:05
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 90,598

Two things that may work;

After installing XP SP2 the " Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" stops functioning. This can be confirmed by looking in Device Manager - there should be an entry for this listed under System Devices. If not, then you have the same problem as me and the following fix *should* work...

- Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
- Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
- Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
- Run the Add New Hardware wizard
- Select Show All Devices and Have Disk
- Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf
- Under Standard System Devices, select the Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator

Your audio device should now be recognised.

Or

you might want to try this:

1. unplug any other USB audio devices, and plug your usb midi device in
2. find c:\windows\inf\wdma_usb.inf from a different PC where your device does work and copy it to the desktop of PC with the problem.
3. go to c:\windows\inf and delete wdma_usb.PNF
4. go into device manager and right click on "USB audio device" and
select properties
5. select the "details" tab
6. select "update driver"
7. selct no for the first dialog, then next
8. select "install from a specific location", then next
9.select "dont search I will choose the drivers" next
10 select "have disk" button
11.select browse and select your desktop or wherever you saved the
wdma_usb.inf file
12.then open, then ok, then next it should install the drivers from here
13.once complete look in "sound and audio devices" in the control panal,
and see if the "USB Audio Device" is an option in the midi devices like
i mentioned in the earlier email
15.if not then unplug and plug it in again, now chech again
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 07:47
- © MacMusic 1997-2008