MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mpc 2000 Xl Vs Exs24, Is it worth it???
Mizzeh
post Wed 20 Oct 2004, 03:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,514

blink.gif Hey everyone,
I'm the new guy ...Hopefully this will be my home for odd and unusual questions!! hahaha
Anyway, I have had an MPC 2000 XL for a while now and I must admit, I have not really used it for any projects thus far. I couldn't seem to get around the learning curve with this particular piece of gear...for what ever reason. In the near future I will be purchasing a large amount of studio gear including the G5 and Logic 7 which comes with the EXS24. My question is, should I sell my MPC because the EXS24 is easier and sounds just as good if not better than the MPC or keep it for reasons hopefully you will be able to give me.
Thank you very much.

Mizzeh
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Wed 20 Oct 2004, 18:12
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 4,705

In my experience, everyone who gets Logic and the EXS24 immediately dumps their hardware samplers. The EXS24 is a very nice thing.

Saying that, there are some people who like to stick with hardware for some jobs - because of a particular sound, a way or working or simply to take the strain off the computer.

My advice: sit on the MPC for a while as you learn to use the EXS24 and then reconsider your position. Second-hand gear regrettably fetches much less than we'd like, so it might be nice just to keep it around, if you can afford that luxury.

This post has been edited by rickenbacker: Wed 20 Oct 2004, 18:16

+Quote Post
Nonz
post Wed 20 Oct 2004, 22:20
Post #3

Member No.: 4,162

What kind of music will you be producing? I ask because the MPC has "swing" that just can't be reproduced on a DAW. That is why most hip hop producers still keep the MPC around for beats. If your not doing anything like that, I would sell the MPC and get what you need for use with L7 (audio interface, mics, mic pre, more memory if you'll be using the EXS alot, etc). Also, Glaresoft's iDrum plug-in supposedly had its swing modeled after the MPC and it is super easy to use in L7. Personally, if I were you, I'd sell.

nonz

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1Ghz TiBook, FW410, Logic Pro 6.4.3, Live 4, Reaktor 4

+Quote Post
Mizzeh
post Thu 21 Oct 2004, 03:50
Post #4

Member No.: 53,514

Thanks a lot rickenbacke and Nonz. I have heard from many that the MPC 3000 was the one that had a certain swing that you just couldn't find or beat. Nonz you say that the beat software in Logic is modeled after the MPC?? than it's probably modeled after the MPC 3000 as it seems to be the one everyone raves about. Well I guess at this point the best thing I could do is compare the swings in the software VS the MPC to see how much of a difference there really is. Personally I would love to find out that the software is just as good so I can sell the MPC and put the money towards more gear!

MiZ biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
fishhead
post Thu 21 Oct 2004, 11:56
Post #5

Member No.: 38,420

It's not the swing so much as the the clock that makes the MPC2000, 3000, 60,WHATEVER, valuable. Lock your setup to it & things will just groove better. The swing is cool though, I Know guys who've set up templates based based on it to work in other environments. The bottom line here is that in the field of music that makes the most money commercially, Hip-Hop, FEEL RULES! The vast majority of of top Hip-Hop artists & producers have an MPC as the foundation of their Rig.

+Quote Post
chappy
post Fri 22 Oct 2004, 05:56
Post #6

Rookie

Member No.: 42,258

I still use the original MPC60 and love it for certain things.
It's not the clock, it's the quantization steps.
I think there are 297 or so steps to the old MPC's. (per beat)
Any newer sequencer has at least 1000 or more available increments per beat. Roger Linn just knew where to 'draw the line'.
The MPC series is essentially a retooled Linn9000.
I had the Linn Drum and moved to the 9000.
That box was buggier than the Amazon. Akai bought the software and
gave Roger the bread to fix it. He did a good job!
peace,
chappy

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 14:51
- © 440 Forums 2011