MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Computer Transfer Of Midi Data... Need To Record It With My Emac!, Power Mac's Pro 4 MIDI data midi out to eMac, want to record it
Cyanaether22
post Sat 21 Feb 2009, 01:42
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,777

Hey, I am trying an interesting experiment with my Power Mac 6100/60 and my eMac G4.

Basically, I have a whole bunch of MIDI files generated by Master Tracks Pro 4 from ages ago, these files are on my Power Mac. Unfortunately I don't have a MIDI compatible with my power mac, so what I've done is wired my Power Mac and eMac together using MIDI cables and adapters.

The eMac is receiving the data in its MIDI IN (MIDI Monitor shows this, I can show the logs if necessary), but I need some method of recording this data to a MIDI Recorder or Sequencer program.

What software should I use on my eMac to record this incoming midi data? I've tried a bunch of programs but none of them are what I need. GarageBand was my first idea but it says "MIDI drivers are conflicting" and won't load at all.

Any tips at all would be helpful. biggrin.gif Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
philflood
post Sat 21 Feb 2009, 07:11
Post #2

Member No.: 98,454

If these are really midi files, i.e. the have a .mid file extension, there should be no problem playing them in Quicktiime. If on the other hand they are Master Tracks Pro 4 native format, I would think you would need to save them first as midi files within Master Tracks Pro 4. Once they are in a midi format you can open them with Garageband using Dent Du Midi. What type of external off loading is available from your 6100? Is there something that works on both the 6100 and the eMac? As I recall the eMac doesn't have a floppy. Can you eMail them to a server from the 6100 and then retrieve them with the eMac? Is so, and they are midi, once you have them in the eMac any Mac-based music program should allow you to open them, such as Logic, Pro Tools free, etc. Good luck.

+Quote Post
Top of
post Sat 21 Feb 2009, 11:55
Post #3

Member No.: 66,796

QUOTE (Cyanaether22 @ Sat 21 Feb 2009, 00:42) *
Hey, I am trying an interesting experiment with my Power Mac 6100/60 and my eMac G4.

Basically, I have a whole bunch of MIDI files generated by Master Tracks Pro 4 from ages ago, these files are on my Power Mac. Unfortunately I don't have a MIDI compatible with my power mac, so what I've done is wired my Power Mac and eMac together using MIDI cables and adapters.

The eMac is receiving the data in its MIDI IN (MIDI Monitor shows this, I can show the logs if necessary), but I need some method of recording this data to a MIDI Recorder or Sequencer program.

What software should I use on my eMac to record this incoming midi data? I've tried a bunch of programs but none of them are what I need. GarageBand was my first idea but it says "MIDI drivers are conflicting" and won't load at all.

QUOTE (Top of @ Sat 21 Feb 2009, 10:52) *

Hi, Try this, just maybe it will be of some use, I'm not big on MIDI.

Sorry about that, here it is this time
http://homepage.mac.com/beryrinaldo/ddm/

+Quote Post
mortalengines
post Sat 21 Feb 2009, 12:35
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 65,373

You are making it way too hard. Just save the tracks (I am not that up on this so I am not sure if I have the right extension names) as SMFs and you should be able to copy the files to any kind of storage format that can be opened by both of your computers and (I think) you can insert the individual SMFs into tracks in Garage Band....if it doesn't happen with GB, it'll definitely happen with other software like Reason, Live, Logic....etc.

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines

This post has been edited by mortalengines: Sat 21 Feb 2009, 12:38

+Quote Post
emgcarra
post Sat 21 Feb 2009, 16:17
Post #5

Member No.: 65,694

Hi. my two cents...

I guess you have to save those midi files as "Standard Midi File" format, so you can send them anywhere keeping their content.
I guess you should do that on the first computer, so when you move them, they travel as SMF... Then, even Garage Band or Quictime
should be capable of make them sound properly...

I hope this could be of any help... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cyanaether22
post Sat 21 Feb 2009, 21:36
Post #6

Member No.: 106,777

All very good advice! But the Power Mac and the eMac have nothing in common at this point, there is no possible way for me to transfer data other than connecting the midi wires. I am looking into buying an adapter for the old ethernet to RJ45 though, then file sharing could be possible.

But I solved my problem with MUMusic. It recorded the incoming data and even let me select different instruments. The one thing that didn't rock about it was the fact that it didn't recognize different MIDI channels.

Thanks for all your help... hope this thread helps someone who might be trying to do what I just did. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Macintop
post Sun 22 Feb 2009, 09:53
Post #7

Member No.: 89,209

As the 6100 has a build in floppy drive and the eMac USB you could also buy (less than $ 30,00) an USB external floppy drive for the eMac.

Like: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10086

GreetZ
Rob

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Mon 23 Feb 2009, 14:22
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,633

Macintop!!!! What a clever name. Love it. Very cool. You can go far with your name alone... 'MacIntop' Slick...

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Tue 24 Feb 2009, 10:46
Post #9

Member No.: 11,156

Hey Macintop,

Sorry for coming late to the discussion. Sounds like you need to get an AAUI adapter. This will get you ethernet ready and a hub or other LAN connection will allow both of the Macs to talk to each other.

peace.

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
Macintop
post Tue 24 Feb 2009, 11:57
Post #10

Member No.: 89,209

Thanks Dad, hihi

Hi Peace,

Thanks for the reply but I was replying to a post from Cyanaether22 and it seems to be solved.
But no problem and again thanks for taking the time to reply.

GreetZ
MacInTop

QUOTE (deaconblue @ Tue 24 Feb 2009, 11:46) *
Hey Macintop,

Sorry for coming late to the discussion. Sounds like you need to get an AAUI adapter. This will get you ethernet ready and a hub or other LAN connection will allow both of the Macs to talk to each other.

peace.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 00:56
- © MacMusic 1997-2008