MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dp 5 Documentation
pythagoras
post Mon 21 Apr 2008, 15:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 100,519

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I find PDF versions of documentation absolutely essential. I like having a printed manual, but there are so many advantages to a PDF version that I feel hamstrung if restricted to printed paper.

For me, the two greatest advantages of a PDF document are (a) if created properly, it's searchable (so I don't have to manually hunt for topic discussions), and (b) when I'm actually using a piece of software, it's usually more convenient to have the documentation displayed on screen (easier to bounce back & forth between the software & the online documentation than to bounce back & forth between the software & a physical user manual in my lap).

Moreover, the DP 5 manual is so large, it's prohibitively cumbersome to try to reference the manual while I'm at the computer trying to use Digital Performer.

So, why am I posting this? Because MOTU currently does not provide PDF versions of their user manuals. But if DP users would just take a few minutes to contact MOTU & request PDF versions of user manuals, I suspect MOTU would promptly comply. Given that all current user manuals almost certainly exist as computer files, generating PDF versions is a trivial task. Digidesign, Roland, & other music product developers provide PDF versions of their full library of user manuals. It seems reasonable to ask MOTU to follow suit.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
houstonmusic
post Mon 21 Apr 2008, 16:29
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 88,124

you're not alone.
traditionally, MOTU used the lack of a PDF as a sort of poor man's copy protection. but those days are gone, and we've got to authorize each install. i second your motion. i'll drop 'em a line.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 16 Apr 2024, 15:09
- © MacMusic 1997-2008