MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dp Or Logic Pro 8? Why Not Both?, The Experiment
Mac Daddy
post Tue 5 Feb 2008, 06:29
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 76,633

440 Members, I apologize for my synth strings remark. I said: "Synth Strings Suck". The coddledegg sent me a Brilliant example of one of his "Orchestral Productions" created with Reason 3... I thought I was in a Symphony Hall!!! I really better look and listen to MIDI more. I have always liked the concept of MIDI. Most that I have heard I guess is not developed... But, what the coddledegg sent has made me look and listen to Synth Strings in a new light...

coddledegg get well soon...

Damn you're good!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DANO10
post Tue 5 Feb 2008, 15:35
Post #22

Member No.: 6,512

Hello experimenters,

I am also taking part in "the experiment." I am a long time DP user and before that a Bars and Pipes Professional user on the Amiga platform. I took delivery of Logic 8 about three weeks ago. A nice package with lots of extras. However, I like to work up my stuff thru MIDI. This means extensive and detailed MIDI editing. I do very little live recording. I'll be damned if I can figure out the MIDI deal in Logic. Maybe I should go to Majorca and have a talk with the emagic guys or read the manual? (Ugh!)

Dano10 sad.gif

This post has been edited by DANO10: Tue 5 Feb 2008, 15:37

+Quote Post
srhickman
post Thu 7 Feb 2008, 03:49
Post #23

Member No.: 7,881

I had to Google Majorca in order to find out where in the world it was. smile.gif

Dano10: I hate the thought of reading the manual, too. How about a good "getting started with Logic" DVD. Can anyone recommend one?

deaconblue: Thanks for your post. It encourages me to really give Logic a try as my "main girl". Do you use MIDI a lot in your work? Did you just throw yourself into Logic full time on every project? How long before you noticed the workflow improvements? Where IS the Quantize window and can you quantize by percentage like in DP?

Steve

+Quote Post
jlaudon
post Thu 7 Feb 2008, 05:27
Post #24

Member No.: 88,860

As someone mentioned before, DP (Performer) was the first sequencer for Mac in the 80s, but I started with master tracks pro.

DANO10, Logic's midi editing requires a different way of thinking (regions vs. linear 'analog' style recording), so I much prefer DP's midi editing (and VI midi tracks separate from audio/VI tracks). I think using Logic for audio is fine, but a lot of the audio editing I do makes me still prefer DP's workflow by a long shot, after using both DAWs together since Logic Studio came out. I've also had a super stable setup with DP5.13, OS X 10.4.11 and my Quad G5. Over at Unicornation.com, Shooshie has a thread on how stable DP 5.13, 10.5, and his Mac Pro have been - not a single crash since he upgraded!

I seem to get a lot of crashes with Logic 8 when I bounce audio (dropouts, missed midi control things with VIs, stuttering audio, etc -all with the CPU barely being used - does anyone else get this?), but I haven't spent much time to troubleshoot (deadlines), so I just imported everything into DP for mixing to get the projects finished.

+Quote Post
deaconblue
post Thu 7 Feb 2008, 06:05
Post #25

Member No.: 11,156

steve,

Logic is definitely a new deal overall for me relatively speaking, but yeah, a good DVD to get started is pretty essential. I'd rather be a musician using a tool than having to delve into the manual to get started.

I actually can recommend MacPro Video for the Logic series. Some really good stuff on there. The core 101 program is a great overview with tutorials. Nicely laid out, nicely presented. I have one other, but I am drawing a blank right now on the title and I left it at work (trying to get some lessons in over lunch). I'll post back with the title/publisher tomorrow.

I use MIDI, but not extensively. I use it more for recording and then quantizing my ham-fisted-ness into music (i am a guitar player, so keys are not my first, natural choice). However, I think jlaudon is right on with the assessment of DP being a slicker MIDI editor. But I am not sure it is actually a better one. Again, the workflow is definitely different than DP, so it takes time to get into that groove.

It took me a few sessions to realize the benefits of LS workflow, but once I pulled the trigger on LS8 I did switch over for all my sessions full time. I have gone back to DP for some of my older projects that are still not quite 'done' yet, but ones I don't want to bring into LS unless I absolutely have to. Too many past problems migrating between applications (Pro-Tools to DP, etc.) so, I tend to avoid that process unless I have no other choice.

The Quantize function is available via the arrangement window with two options. First the pull down menu for some 'stock quantization values', including rigid values (1/4 note, 1/8th note, etc.) or adding a little swing. Also, you can use the Quantize Tool. Click on the Tool Bar (the default is your arrow selection tool). If you use the quantize tool you can then select individual notes or groups of notes instead of your entire MIDI regions. If you use the Piano Roll widow, it'll make it a lot easier and more flexible to quantize specific notes in your MIDI track.

The delta between DP and Logic on the % quantization is that you have to access the Extended Region Parameters box and use the Q-Strength adjustment to set the level of quantization you want to implement on your selection. It is defaulted to 100%.

I hope that helps. The Logic Pro 8, 101 course gives a lot more and better detail.

jlaudon,

I haven't had any issues with crashes nor stuttering. I am on a DP 2.0Ghz G5 with 8GB RAM. Not sure if that is a part of your crashing issue. I have heard rumblings on other forums about the QP G5s being a bit weird at times. I actually have a friend who had his QPG5 replaced recently with a Mac Pro tower due to multiple issues with his G5. So far his MacPro is rock solid, but he is having some problems with specific plug ins not being intel ready.

Good luck to both of you. May the muse be with you and the tools work in your favor!

peace.

This post has been edited by deaconblue: Thu 7 Feb 2008, 06:26

--------------------
...as you dream you shall become.
boxed art media
Musicians' Access
M.A.W.R web radio

+Quote Post
Mac Daddy
post Fri 8 Feb 2008, 10:31
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 76,633

Deacon, your Post to Steve is a beautiful thang....

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 14:06
- © MacMusic 1997-2008