MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mini Moog Voyager, Access Virus Ti, Or V-synth Xt?, Going hardware or upgrade the laptop
mortalengines
post Sat 18 Nov 2006, 06:54
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,373

Hi, I am kind of starting to look at hardware synths now that I have started running into CPU issues using Ableton Live & Reaktor & other plugs. I figure that I could use a Live Synth & Ableton has a much easier time with the more loops you run. If I was gonna go for hardware, one of the 3 above would be my choice. It seems like each has its own niche & I am kind of gravitating toward the Moog since...well....it's a Moog but, it is still just a monophonic synth when you get right down to it. Access virus seems to have a pretty nice synth & I understand it will operate as a multi-track synth/ VST plug in as well (with all of the processing going on in the hardware, but I don't know if the "sound" will still be as cool 5 to 10 years down the road. Same for the V-synth, in addition to it being of limited polyphony & not really offering any multichannel support (but very unque in sound) & I am not really even sure if Roland is going to put out a better version soon (it's already discontinued the original V-synth). Any input/experiences from people who operate in both the hardware & software worlds? Would it maybe just be better to buy a Macbook Pro (I am using a G4 powerbook right now)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sun 19 Nov 2006, 11:08
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

You mix 3 very different synths together and broil them is a performance/softsynth issue… not easy. unsure.gif

External synth are their own dongle, they rarely let you down, once OS stable, they don't need upgrades, and you don't need the computer for the fun of it. You have to meddle with audio interface though with them.

Softsynths eat CPU like buns at tea time, and you're always in balance with upgrades and OS versions.

I'd say, if you want a real synth really, go for one, presumably one of a kind you don't have on your soft rig, or adding something really new over things you already have.

Now, I don't think that because you've hit the wall with your laptop you will stop once you have a new hardware baby in, you'll have anyway to change for a new one anytime soon. I'd look first to see if the requisite versions of your software/drivers are available in universal binary, check the price of upgrades, of the mac and see.

Either you buy an hardware synth and you'll be still hitting the wall, or you upgrade and you'll still look for an hardware synth, maybe the solution is to have both if you can, choose the easy path as it'll be a financial decision in the end. It's not because you'll have an hardware synth that you'll use your laptop less, it's bound to be another source of sound, not really heaving out some CPU strain out of the laptop.

On the hardware synths themselves, it'd be better to debate over them in a dedicated thread in the relevant sub-forum.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 18:18
- © MacMusic 1997-2008