MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Microkorg Nightmare, voltage fiasco
DEVIOUS
post Tue 27 Sep 2005, 12:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,333

Hello there,

I have just brought a microkorg back from Japan and, upon arrival, overly excited to use it, I plugged it in to my 240V UK socket using a shaving plug adaptor (Japan's voltage is 100-110V). Stupid I know. There was a spark and a little smoke and now the microkorg only briefly flashes the audio in and audio out leds when plugged in with a dedicated voltage converter.

What I want to know is, have I completely destroyed my microkorg, or is it easily repairable? What 'blows' when there is too much voltage forced into the machine?

Should I begin crying and looking for alternatives?

I tried to contact Korg, but their email website is down (how bad is that?). I will phone them in due course but the premium rate number deterred me and I figured that this website always provides better advice anyway!

Help!

D.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Wed 28 Sep 2005, 02:00
Post #2

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

It depends all on how the DC input (I guess it's DC) is protected.

- There may be a fuse, then, you can hope it's only it.
- If there's no fuse, it may be some chips like a voltage regulator at least which is blown, anyway it can have gone further too.

As I don't have the experience of opening one, I can't tell you wich and if it's easy to do, be it the opening or the repair.

Now the good thing is usually the damage is strictly localized on a few components, so it's not as if lightning had struck wink.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
DEVIOUS
post Thu 29 Sep 2005, 01:28
Post #3

Member No.: 39,333

Thank you for that.

Quite reassuring. I think I will do a bit of research, try and get onto Korg and report back!

Fingers crossed. I really can't afford a new one!

D.

+Quote Post
PunkasFuck
post Fri 4 Nov 2005, 01:22
Post #4

Member No.: 72,083

Hey Same problem, did you figure out how to fix it?

Just got this microkorg, and it smells of burnt electronics, when I try it with batteries all I get is the input 1 input 2 lights then nothing.

PLEASE any help on how to fix is apreciated. Thanks

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 18 Apr 2024, 14:25
- © 440 Forums 2011