MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your favorite audio sequencer?
Your favorite audio sequencer?
Your favorite audio sequencer?
Protools [ 85 ] ** [17.31%]
Performer [ 106 ] ** [21.59%]
Cubase [ 82 ] ** [16.70%]
Logic [ 166 ] ** [33.81%]
Vision [ 27 ] ** [5.50%]
others [ 25 ] ** [5.09%]
Total Votes: 593
Guests cannot vote 
ben1969
post Sun 4 Aug 2002, 23:55
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,207

cubase the one for me , to much snobbery with logic users
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bigheaven
post Wed 7 Aug 2002, 04:43
Post #12

Member No.: 4,785

I voted Logic as it is more afordable than Protools.PT has the better audio editing,Logic better midi.I use Logic4.8.1 with Motu 896 firewire and sync to analogue 8 or 16 track.My wish list is for Logic to improve its ease of use with audio editing and more intuitive access to those many hidden functions /possibilities etc.

--------------------
qaws12

+Quote Post
musicastle
post Thu 8 Aug 2002, 00:58
Post #13

Member No.: 5,742

I use logic all the way till it comes to that real hardcore mixing. Nothing, still, can beat protools for audio editing. Yeah, for small projects and not so big budget projects, logic or other softwares will suffice. But for the real guys, I think, protools still dominates. Digidesign is a bunch of really professional guys who just can't compromise. Look at M-Box for example. It is a great sounding interface with that preamp!!! I used to have EMI2/6, but it is a toy compared to digidesign's product.

Overall, Logic is the best software for me. But I still use Protools for the final touch. A lot is to with plugins and the algorithm.

I think being able to use different softwares will give you much possiblity.

+Quote Post
wolf
post Thu 8 Aug 2002, 11:11
Post #14

Member No.: 6,636

I voted for Logic because I think it offers the best integration of midi & audio generated tracks. However, I never use the logic plugins because they lack the sofistication and subtlety of some third party effects such as Waves. I am also hoping that Apple/Emagic will come out with DSP cards (like the powercore) that are dedicated to Logic. This way, emagic can start competing head on with ProTools.

I guess the best sequencer is the one you are used to and you are quick working with. The definition of a good system is the one that gives you the most time for creative work as opposed to fiddling about with technical stuff.

+Quote Post
post Fri 9 Aug 2002, 05:10
Post #15

Group:
Member No.: 0

Cubase really rocks. I've got Digi 001 and I barely use Pro Tools. I think Cubase sounds much better. Digital Performer is ok too but too much complicated.
By the way how to use Logic properly? I've got Logic Platinum 4.7 + ESI EXS24 and don't know how to set it up properly.

+Quote Post
III777III
post Fri 9 Aug 2002, 14:54
Post #16

Member No.: 4,998

QUOTE (ben1969 @ Aug 4 2002, 22:55)

I would not say snobery, its has its limits but CUBASE lacks even more and i think thats what the difference is, as a sequincer logic had more to offer..

1-i love the automation more then pro tools,
2-more plugs...

ide say the best audio sequencers are LOGIC audio for music and PRO TOOLS for just audio and post...

Studio vision Pro may make the #3 and WAY above dp3 when it arrives, where it allways was the app DP3 played windows with, everytime SVP version arived, Dp cloned a pretier interface of it...

Cubase is great for VSt intruments but if you use mac forget VSTs cuase they will be a thing of the past after apple makes a new standard..simpy called PLUG INS..

Cubase is better on a PC i think, i wish logic stays with PCs too.;
but if you see the osx version of logic i think you will admit its not like a apple its a UNIX!!! so getting a apple G4 or 5 in the future wont wound a PC users pride..

I dont want to tango with PC/Mac wars or even sequincer wars at all im nutral so i have to be honest and say i just want a audio tool that fits the PRO envirement and keeps heading that direction for higher quality.

I had arguments with posts regarding what pro is, so for anyone please do not freak out and think pro means MORE EXPENSIVE and higher standards

It to me means a application that can adapt to any audio users needs wether it be vst toys like reason and drum machines OR to the ability for house sync with a black burst generator for sound to picture, all audio apps can simply do this but most important that they are SOLID (osx is) and no compromises and gags (overloads) etc. thats profesional..

In the PRO AUDIO world that companies pay the TOP dollars for they usualy demand new solutions to work with , like products that are healthier to the eyes and ears and to make them easier and more usefull, also most important the highest quality audio and video to help produce the finals..well the DAW is realy here now and ready, no pro tools hardware even required anymore.....

The digidesign overpriced propaganda is dead!!! you could scrub natively, multi track with anycard at low latency and even run 96 tracks since 1996 so i thnk they got the money they wanted fom the most of the BIG companies and even little guys that could not afford real time automation...

Logic 5.2 is the closest you will ever get to that system today, but i also wish again the audio would get better, but i have to say the audio is FAR better then cubase, DP3 and most other competitors cuase if you realy work with these tools all day, you will have to admit LOGIC AUDIO is tight there with PRO TOOLS...

blink.gif

--------------------
HARDWARE---> APPLE G4, 450MP, 520MB, 4x80Gigata's w/accord pci ata card, 2x15"apple cinema flatpanels with additional radeon (mac eddition)-Powerd a dr.bott Diviator.OS---> OS9.2/OS X.1.1.5.. MUSIC SOFTWARE---> emagic-LogicAudio 5.1.3 with a esx24 sampler , PRO TOOLS (m-BOX & MIX +), Absynth, FM7, PRO52/SUPER-NOVA, Battery, Reason2, Rebirth, Waves3.2+, AKAI & SCii LIBRARY, Roxio5/Jam5,...VIDEO+ GRAPHIC SOWAFTRE---> PhotoShop 7.5, Final Cut Pro 3, Premiere 6, Cleaner Pro 5, After Effects 5.5, qt 6.

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Fri 9 Aug 2002, 19:38
Post #17

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

"Pro Tools is definitely the microsoft of audio and does not allow sensible upgrade options."

Ohh now... common. That comment was totally uncalled for. I would never put ProTools and Microsoft in a similie comparing one to the other LOL. ProTools has always been marketed to more the professional user than the home hobbyist until the release of ProTools LE. I really don't see the need to have a silver, gold, platinum etc. like Logic does but Logic is marketed to more than the pro users so it may work better for them to do it that way.

I use ProTools LE and just got Logic. I see how Logic has more control for midi sequencing and midi work but... if you are used to just recording audio, doing lots of cuts and edits and such and not using midi... I still prefer to use ProTools. I like the way it handles regions of audio and organizes them plus I like zooming in on a track and making edits to the waveform directly to the track and not having to switch back and forth between the arrange window and waveform editing window. Sequencing audio clips is easier for myself in ProTools as well. I like Logic but when I just want to lay something down quick and do some quick edits... i go to ProTools.

Also, how can someone select a sequencer based on "snobbery of other users". I find that quite amusing but yet puzzling.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
Levon River
post Sat 10 Aug 2002, 15:51
Post #18

Member No.: 6,734

I've tried them all and Digital Performer has proven to be the best for my purposes. With the Spark plug (pun intended) or VSTWrapper you have access to many of the VST plugs and virtual instrument, as well as the great array of MAS plugs available.

Despite problems I have with its MIDI editing interface, it does allow tremendously fast inputting of MIDI parts, and great ways to manipulate them; it's "Human Feel" algorithm gives great control for randomizing, e.g., drum parts.

It also pretty painlessly gives you access to third party sound generation programs like NI virtual instruments, Unity, etc.

It's also a very aesthetic program. well designed, with a completely integrated design across it's modules. (One of the [many] things I can't abide in Cubase is that parts of it look like they were designed last week, and other parts carried over from last decade.)

I won't comment on Digidesign because I don't think I could come up with anything to say that would be fit for a public forum. But Logic Audio, not unlike Digidesign, seem to find comfort in the idea of creating within the community of musicians--once the friendliest, most out-going and caring groups you could find anywhere--a caste system with a holier-than-thou pecking order, and in selling pricey razors in order to sell pricey razorblades.

It's lamentable.

+Quote Post
Presto
post Sun 11 Aug 2002, 17:41
Post #19

Maniac Member

Member No.: 3,984

I thought Digiwhatsit's Protools Free was, er, free!!! I got PTLE free with my Mbox too.

I only work with audio (no midi) and, although I haven't seriously tested any other audio apps, I can only say I don't see the need or must be too lazy bother. PT waits patiently for my slow brain to use it more. I can't say I've thought much about the tool itself- I just use it like a word processor and the story unfolds. Wow! Who invented the music that comes out? It can't be me!

Must add that I often end up not bothering to use the plugins that came free too - or if I do, only a pinch here and there. Well, that's probably because I'm lazy, and in any case the Mbox and expensive mic let me record sound that doesn't require much modification.

Levon River, I'm curious. How much did you pay for all those other apps you tried? And does DP really produce such incredibly better music than PT? I suppose it excels for MIDI. Well, I'll have a go on it when I'm richer.

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)

+Quote Post
post Mon 12 Aug 2002, 23:02
Post #20

Group:
Member No.: 0

Well Opcode may be dead but Vision is still the best sequencer around. I've used Digital Performer, ProTools and Cubase bur they don't compare to the elegant workflow that Vision provides. Amazing that such an amazing program is now freeware!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 22:16
- © 440 Forums 2011