MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Motu Range
-monky-
post Tue 3 Feb 2009, 17:34
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,377

Hi all,

I have been looking for a FW audio device for some time, and in my price bracket I have decided (I think!) that MOTU offer the best bang for buck. However, I have been trying to make sense of their website, and I'm having a bit of trouble. I was hoping to find a comparison matrix or similar, so that I can compare the features offered by their set of products - but I can't find that anywhere. If such a thing exists, please would someone point me in the right direction?

Basically, I can only see that the Traveler, UltraLite, 896 and 828 differ in terms of number of inputs/outputs, and their abilities to be expanded (ie with 8pre or similar). Is this a fair assessment? Their effects capabilities seem to be pretty standardised across the range.

I would really appreciate somebody's objective view on this, as I have read myself round in circles.

I will likely be using this in studio and live, but it's not going to get heavy "on the road" use, live will mostly be "studio live" i suspect.

Many thanks....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gdoubleyou
post Wed 4 Feb 2009, 21:20
Post #2

Maniac Member

Member No.: 2,002

The main differences are the number of preamps, amount of I/O, and the size of interfaces.

The 896 is able to record at a higher sample rate.

Print the feature summary from the MOTU site on the interfaces you are interested in.

You can make quality recordings with any of interfaces, you must decide how many inputs you need, and if you require mobility.

cool.gif

--------------------
G-Dub

+Quote Post
smith67
post Sat 6 Mar 2010, 07:45
Post #3

Member No.: 111,460

A buddy of mine has the 8pre and I first looked at this model. What's great about the MOTU 896MK3 is the built-in cuemix and the 8 xlr outputs. I was just wondering if there is anything else 2.5k or lower price range... that will compete features wise with the 896mk3. I will need the 8 xlr mic inputs. I also see using it as a stand alone mixer to down mix directly into the 4 channel of the RED camera. So will alternate between using it with a MacBook Pro and say Soundtrack Pro/Cuemix or standalone. I am not really looking for a cheaper option. I would pay even more for a product if it has more XLR i/o or features than the 893mk3. I see using this with a bunch of lavalier and ambient mics to capture live performances.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
cisco 650-175 | 650-180 | 70-236 | 70-270

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 23:30
- © MacMusic 1997-2008