MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mastering/pre-mastering On Computer, hints
post Tue 27 Aug 2002, 23:36
Post #11

Group:
Member No.: 0

Thanks for all the info. Discovered that I have the waves demo...it was given out at an audio expo here in NY. It's definitely something to invest in.

A question to all the Mastering Pros:

What are the major Mastering Faux Pas to avoid?/the things that can make or break a mix?

ioGirl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
post Wed 28 Aug 2002, 02:17
Post #12

Group:
Member No.: 0

"..Overall, Logic is the best software for me. But I still use Protools for the final touch. A lot is to with plugins and the algorithm..."

Above is a quote from the "best sequencer" Poll. There were many similar remarks about Pro Tools being the tool for Mastering....but if it's about plug-ins, does it matter if you're using Waves in PT or any other app?...or if you're using TDM plug-ins in PT or Logic?

ioGirl

+Quote Post
formatj
post Wed 28 Aug 2002, 06:12
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 5,658

I think the reason people talk about mastering in ProTools is because it use to have all the best plugins. Now with TC Powercore and Universal Audio UAD-1 cards and also some high end VST plugs (Waves, PSP etc...) it doesn't really have so much advantage.

I know some people who think that Pro Tools sounds better than Logic; different algorithms etc... I also know former ProTools preachers who have sold their systems and are now using Logic with RME gear and have never looked back.

Don't forget ProTools will obviously sound better with the TDM or HD versions (US$10000+) than with a Digi 001 with it's version of ProTools Software.

Mastering is an art in itself, having and knowing how to use the tools is of course necessary, however learning how to use your ears is the most important thing.

For some great value plugins (much cheaper than Waves) try http://www.pspaudioware.com/

Some info on mastering.

beginner's guide to mastering at:

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/ma.../mastering1.asp

and a guide by Bob Katz (The Secret of the Mastering Engineer) at

http://www.tcelectronic.com/static.asp?page=bob_katz

Matt

+Quote Post
rickenbacker
post Wed 28 Aug 2002, 11:42
Post #14

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,705

Mastering software is like everything else with computer music - everyone has their favourite apps and any magic tool that gets universal approval and is coveted by everyone is likely to cost hundreds, maybe thousands, of pounds (or dollars or euros or whatever). The more people you ask, the more confused you can get!

The Waves plug-ins are well-regarded. I use them with Logic and I also use the T-Racks set, which is cheaper but still very good and easy to use (IMHO). For the money, both of these do a professional job to my ears.

I don't think it really matters what you use, to be honest. If it's at least halfway decent and you know how to use it and you've had a lot of practice with mastering your music, you'll get pleasing results.

Format's links are a good introduction to the subject and I'm sure there are thousands more out there. You could also try the book "Basic Mastering" by Paul White (Sanctuary Publishing, about £5) for a good explanation of what it is you should be doing.

If it sounds right, it IS right!

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Wed 28 Aug 2002, 18:40
Post #15

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

a lot of the mastering concept relies more on the mastering engineers ears than anything else. If you are like me and don't have any formal training in the sound world... you'll have to do a lot of trial-n-error to discover what works best for your music. I will throw in a few pointers I have picked up on the way that may help.

1) get a few CD's that you like the sound of and are familiar with (helps if they are in same genre as your music) and before even turning on your mastering setup... spend about 20 minutes listenig to the CD's on your system through the monitors. This well help you to learn what frequencies and levels should sound like as a guide.

2) if you have the ability... copy one of the tracks that best matches the sound of your music to your HD and pull it into your mastering session as another track. Then as you are mastering your music, refer to that commercial track as a reference and use it to guage the sound of your track. This will really help with gain levels so you know how hot to make the mix. It will also help you to hear if your mix is too muddy or too thin.

3) If you find yourself adding tons of compression or limiting to make your tracks sound louder... go back to the mix and try adjust levels to compensate and then return to mastering because if you compress too much or use too much brickwall limiting... the you lose a lot of the dynamics of your songs which makes them sound flat and 2D.

4) Spectrum analyzer is very useful for things that are hard to hear in the mix... many times it give a visual reference that is sometimes easier to work with. Also good to compare commercial tracks with your own using this as well.

There are hundreds of other tips out there that may be of use too... check the links posted by formatj or you can do some searching at www.prosoundwrb.com that may help you as well. Unfortumately, unless you work with many traditional instruments such as guitar, bass, and drums... some of the tutorials will leave you wondering how it relates to your music though.

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
bigheaven
post Thu 29 Aug 2002, 09:42
Post #16

Member No.: 4,785

If i'm mastering a bunch of songs for a CD i put the songs in toast or jam
and in the right order and create a disk immage.Then i open it up in Peak VST.The trak markers or index points are visible and i do fade ins @outs and time between songs all non destructve. I can also compare songs for continuity and level so as to get a feel and flow for the finished CD.I like Peak better than Logic for audio editing.The Waves plugs are great but dont overdo loudness. As a rule digital is the go for corrective eq and analogue for sweetening.I use an avalon 747 for this and it makes my mixes sound more lush. Ive also used a pair of quad ( british valve hi fi
preamps and much cheaper than the avalon) to get nice or over driven sound.I have a budget monitoring setup that workes well.I use a sansui AU555 hi fi amp.They are good and at the back you can bypass the pre-amp and plug directly into the power amp stage.(purer signal).I use B@W
601 hi fi speakers.They handle the punchy sounds well @ are accurate but lack a bit in the mids.I check the mids with Mordant Short MS 10s .On an old mac i run a spectrum analyser and compare Bernie Grundman or other professionaly mastered CDs to the job i'm doing.I enjoy mastering but have to work within a budget as we do so i hope these tips help

--------------------
qaws12

+Quote Post
Synthetic
post Thu 29 Aug 2002, 21:01
Post #17

Maniac Member

Member No.: 1,082

here's a link that I just came across for a pdf. written by some guy named Bob Katz and is supposed to be good beginning foundation for mastering if anyone is interested.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/static.asp?page=bob_katz

biggrin.gif

--------------------
----------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:18pt;line-height:100%'>Synthetic Tone</span>
Click above for totally original electronic music, art, & photos.
Click below to become an active member of the MacMusic.org site..

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Become An Active Member</span>

G4 550mhz Tibook & Brand Spankin New Dual G5 2Ghz Power Mac with Tiger.
So long old OS9 apps :(

+Quote Post
formatj
post Thu 29 Aug 2002, 23:41
Post #18

Group Icon

Thanks for the link!
Did you find it from 4 posts above. biggrin.gif

Matt

+Quote Post
formatj
post Thu 29 Aug 2002, 23:46
Post #19

Group Icon

For more tips and tricks try

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/

and search "Mastering"

Matt

+Quote Post
bigheaven
post Fri 30 Aug 2002, 02:03
Post #20

Member No.: 4,785

Here is Bob Katz's web site. www.digido.com
He used to work at Chesky Records,they do high resoludion,(ie 24 bit 96k digital recordings) for the audiophile marketThey also have a good reference CD .Bob has his own company called Digital Domain.

--------------------
qaws12

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Fri 29 Mar 2024, 02:22
- © 440 Forums 2011