MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Categorisation Of Forums, Hardware is hardware
Presto
post Wed 30 Oct 2002, 12:40
Post #1

Maniac Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,984

Please give your opinion on an imminent complete re-categorisation for MacMusic forums.

Personally, I'm quite happy with a simple hardware forum separate from software issues, and I don't care if the hardware is Mac specific or not. I find it very difficult to observe the present rules where computer-specific hardware issues should be posted in OS9 or OSX (which one is not always clear). It's true there are many more posts on the French side, so I agree that more sub categories could help seeing a bit clearer.

I'm happy Damann should agree with me on the hardware issue (see Mini-me topic). I was starting to wonder if my brain was just too simple. This may be a problem of culture based logic.

I correct scientific articles for French researchers wishing to be published in English, and have my work cut out to get their logic simplified and clear for international readers. As my clients do get published when they use me, I presume my simplicity attitude is appropriate.

We are working on a new categorisation for forums, and I do hope the anglo-saxon approach will be heard. Do say what you'd like.

"Hear my cry" (Purcell)

--------------------
Without shit, we wouldn't be here ;)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
damann
post Thu 31 Oct 2002, 03:21
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,044

whilst appreciating the fact that small print does exist on this subject, i feel that the general headings are misleading for the majority, i.e newbies.
for the average guy looking for answers to problems, hardware is hardware, smallprint is small etc. wink.gif
when i have the time to try and help these guys, i find it a nightmare wading through the "grey area". the logical approach is that "macmusic" pertains to the making of music on a mac. therefore, os9 is software related, osx is osx related, and hardware is not software! laugh.gif
i'll post my feelings about the proposed re-organisation of forum categories in the relevant thread. this seems to require some serious thought/debate, as the proposals for it's re-organisation that i've read so far, fail to convince me that they're actually better. huh.gif
peace & respect 2 all, later...

--------------------
one for all and all for one...

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Thu 31 Oct 2002, 14:19
Post #3

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

Group: Editors
Member No.: 2,758

Yeah, agreed! one should never post anything when drunk and/or very tired. The result is often a message that doesn't make a lot of sense!

It has, really, some sense my intervention. I have a job to do. If the organisation is not right, we talk about, then change it. not the other way around.

and I'm seriously begining of wasting my sense of humour on these issues. bad use of forum doesn't change their use. In depth thinking of use due to bad use of it do.

meanwhile, we follow the rules cool.gif

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK PENG! Are you musician enough to write in our Wiki?
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Francois Déchery
post Thu 31 Oct 2002, 14:28
Post #4

Webmaster
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 11

We have been working hard with lpm and other team members to add new categories, in a way we think: efficient, usefull, and not too confusing...
The new cats will come soon...

hold your breath wink.gif

--------------------
Soif, MacMusic Webmaster

440Software, our new audio software directory

440Software, notre nouveau site sur les logiciels audio pour Mac, PC et iPhone/iPad

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Fri 1 Nov 2002, 14:36
Post #5

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

The problem with newbies we are really aware of it, remember that all you experience (are you experienced wink.gif in the EN section we have 3 times more in the FR forums. about 6 months ago we began to rethought categories as it was becoming unmanageble in the near future as Macmu grows really fast and is not a commercial site, so all the guys doing it spare time would have the less work to do the better (any volunteers?)

We'd love to have a pure EN native crew to suffer Presto wink.gif, so that french moderators could go back to FR forums. Better for everyone (it's not segregation, but moderate in a different langage as his mother tongue is time consuming and can sometime drive to misunderstandings)

Now on the categories… we know of experience (no need to tell us that, we follow the forums more closely than any normal visitor) that the actual ones are not perfect. We decided to expand (and I mean expand) the number of forums. There are 2 goals that we want to reach:

- easier categorisation: more forums means more explicit titles, less misposting/misthreading

- easier newbie navigation: if the titles aren't confusing, they can find the right forum more easily

- easier moderation job: smaller forums, less work, less misthreading/misposting

The midi/audio interfaces is a good example: they are now in the computer only threads, it has a sense as 99% of troubles on are software/computer related, they ARE computer peripherals. But it sure can be confusing. We know that. So there will be instead of a music hardware forum placement which is not relevant for us (we'd like better have people talk about their UREI or Neuman there smile.gif there will be a dedicated midi/audio interfaces forum.

Clearer, isn't it?

We are this WE beginning the transition on the FR side into the new forums, it's a lot of work. Maybe all the categorie won't be of use right now on the EN side. But the list will be published quickly, so that you can comment on. Eventually change a few things.

We'd really like people on the En side begin to take on the task. It's be for the better smile.gif

About the newbies, well… a real problem. There will be a dedicated forum for all new registered to post into, to get rid of the imic/mbox/what computer/what the hell questions, so that we can get concentrated on more in depth threads in the new forums.

Now sorry if I'm a bit arsh on the thread placement but if an organisation of forums is not right, we talk before, then change, not post everywhere like mad, it won't change the categorisations by itself.

--------------------
Our Classifeds • Nos petites annoncesTerms Of Service / Conditions d'UtilisationForum Rules / Règles des ForumsMacMusic.Org & SETI@Home
BOING BUMM TSCHAK ZZZZZZZZZZZOING! Êtes-vous assez musicien pour écrire dans le Wiki?

+Quote Post
Presto
post Fri 1 Nov 2002, 19:17
Post #6

Maniac Member

OK

Let's continue with (non-francophone!!!) USERS' suggestions.

Market research before designing new product smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BusError
post Fri 1 Nov 2002, 20:38
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,795

Well, for me, it had always been rather clear from the name of the forums:
+ OS 9: sorta obsolete, I don't particularily want to read it.
+ OS X: ok I read that, thats what I use.
+ Hardware: cool, I've got that piece of external gear, I talk about it there

So, whats the f*ck the hardware forum is for if it's not for talking about hardware *especialy hardware that has no difference in functionality on os9 and osx*

It seems perfectly logic a setup, if I want to read storied about OMS, I go read OS9. If I want to read a story about Mini-Me or Erirol Blob-160 I go read Hardware.

So, when I posted the "Mini-Me" topic, it was, in my own view, perfectly in place where it was. And when it was moved to OS9, I was really wondering. In fact, I'm still wondering.

I think the moderators should also think past the tip of their nose and try to remember how lusers reacts : no intervention is better than a bad intervention.

So in that particular subject:
+ I (questionably, maybe) posted a topic, that was in any case not COMPLETELY off tipic in the hardware forum.

Several things could have happened then:

+ Moderator #1 messages me privately saying, "doh, you suck, you didn't read the doc!" and I promise I will never do it again. The End.

+ Moderator #1 reply in the thread "Tss Tss I move this topic to TI99-4A cause I feel like it" in wich case, everyone says "ok, he's the boss, he acts like one for sure". The End.

Instead, what happened is:
+ The thread was moved just like that, on wich I told myself "Another moderating accident, BusyMod clicks the 'move' buttons too fast"
+ Thus, thinking it is an error, I reply; since apparently i hadn't understood the non-os9 related subjects appearing there were MEANT to be there
+ Some other moderator, who obviously was thinking like me and not like the ModBoss, says "doh, wierd" and moves the topic back.
+ The ModBoss -who was hidding all that time behind a banner watching the scene- jumps, shows his fangs, and reapply the rule nobody knows about, because it's discussed in the Moderator Forums anyway.

So, if you look closely and COUNT the number of messages generated by this ONE action, it is FAR MORE than a slight off topic subject would have ever generated by itself. So instead of reducing the chaos, in fact, it blew it completely out of proportions.

I've been a moderator for years. I was a moderator on QBBS (in france) in 1988 already, and I'm also a Game Master on a rather well known MMORPG. The "no intervention is better than bad intervention" is a golden rule.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 2 Nov 2002, 00:13
Post #8

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

First OS9 is not, because Stevy said it obsolette, a lot of system (most of) are still running on and continue on about a year from now. And there will be still a lot of computer which won't make the path. Knowledge base, we keep.
Instead, what happened is:
+ The thread was moved just like that, on wich I told myself "Another moderating accident, BusyMod clicks the 'move' buttons too fast"

I did, no mail because I don't have the time for. I know it's not exactly right, but 6 months ago I had the time, no more now.
+ Thus, thinking it is an error, I reply; since apparently i hadn't understood the non-os9 related subjects appearing there were MEANT to be there

OS9 forum is for all the computer stuff, including the peripherals. If the questions had been upon a mismatching of levels on the xlr I would have let it in hardware. a general topic on the peripheral goes OS9.

Why OS9, because most of the music makers are still on 9. blink.gif
So general peripheral questions go there.

OSX is for X only topics

WE KNOW this is stupid as it is, but we are trying to change it, but NOT in a hurry, and not without taking experience from the whole site. See my precedent post on this.

I'm not saying in anyway that you did badly, i'm only thinking the way we are organized now. It is my duty, remember. It's the same on the french forums, that 's WHY we are changing that, but by creating a dedicated forum for these peripherals (and I'm the boss tongue.gif wink.gif
+ Some other moderator, who obviously was thinking like me and not like the ModBoss, says "doh, wierd" and moves the topic back.

As I had moved the thread, He should have asked me before, and I would have said no. He's pretty new as a moderator, so I won't whip him in public (in private neither laugh.gif laugh.gif
+ The ModBoss -who was hidding all that time behind a banner watching the scene- jumps, shows his fangs, and reapply the rule nobody knows about, because it's discussed in the Moderator Forums anyway.

I've never been hiding, I was there all the time. he he wink.gif
So, if you look closely and COUNT the number of messages generated by this ONE action, it is FAR MORE than a slight off topic subject would have ever generated by itself. So instead of reducing the chaos, in fact, it blew it completely out of proportions.

Sorry, it's not a reason to attack Irak wink.gif
You really take it way too seriously, nobody was killed.

the quesiton on my side is to have the forum used as they are meant to be used. topic in the forums. If you have not marked it, macmusic is in full growth crisis. We are adapting to it. And the layback attitude can't go much further.

1- we need moderators
2- we need new forums to clarify the place
3- we need to be strict, as when we have to move (remember while i'm answering you, I'm not on the french side moving topics)

When I took the charge this spring, Soif was doing most of the moderation duty, and simply couldn't do much more. Now he can stay on the site management and coding and sleep at least time to time wink.gif

I've been a moderator for years. I was a moderator on QBBS (in france) in 1988 already, and I'm also a Game Master on a rather well known MMORPG. The "no intervention is better than bad intervention" is a golden rule.
(autority argument…)
Chaos has never been a solution (even if the moving post were not exactly the best thing against it wink.gif We work for the site to be a professional helpfull database. If things are not where they should, it can be because they are not posted where they should, or the place where they should be is weird.

It's not just a question of being a smart ass or what. tongue.gif

To come back on the not completely off topic issue… it is the difficult points, and moderators, and if needed me and Soif on last resort DECIDE. It's dictatorship, but it must be done.

On the other side, as Presto has a point on that, we really need all english native moderators like Presto, as he says: to manage our cultural differences smile.gif. For my part, I'd be glad to stop moderate (except as the big assh… in chief wink.gif in the EN forums. It'd be for the better.

now if we could concentrate on the new forums, if presto has finished the list corrected for user input rolleyes.gif cool.gif
(better for everyone to see the fruit of our sick minds and brains laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lepetitmartien
post Sat 2 Nov 2002, 00:20
Post #9

Moderator In Chief (MIC)
Group Icon

…mhhmm forgot…

the subject of the hardware forum right now ?

- mics
- mixers
- racks racks racks
- cables
- instruments
- the guys behind them
- beautifull singers in glamour dresses
- the guys behind them oops…

you know, the non virtual things wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Presto
post Sat 2 Nov 2002, 14:40
Post #10

Maniac Member

Thanks Damann and BusError smile.gif

I don't believe we have to stick to translations of the new French categories.

We just need relatively unambiguous wording on labels.

Any more suggestions? What categories would you like to see?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Tue 23 Apr 2024, 20:25
- © 440 Forums 2011