MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Hard Drive To Get For Logic?, Need Help with Logic Software
maxryzone
post Tue 28 Dec 2004, 00:16
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 54,758

Ok...I have YET to use Logic...I just but my MIDI Cable...and I will be plugging in the MIDI connection to the MIDI Interface.

However, I know that "making music" takes up a lot of space. Therefore, what external hard drive do you guys recommend?

I currently have a Powerbook G4, 1 GB. My computer has been going very slow lately. I have numerous software on it (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Dreamweaver...)...I am assuming that this is too much. Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
reddish
post Thu 30 Dec 2004, 01:02
Post #2

Member No.: 54,211

think ram not disk space.... or at least that is what i believe your problem is but i am new to this as well so please take that suggestion with the proverbial grain of salt. i also have those programs and everything is solid on the g5..... but i also have like 6 gigs of ram and a terabyte and a half of disk space so.......

+Quote Post
Nels
post Thu 30 Dec 2004, 09:58
Post #3

Member No.: 25,398

1GB of ram on your PB G4, should be more than enough for most applications.

One of the main causes for slow downs and crashes is simply that the computer's hard disk gets cluttered over time with all types of unnecessary files. All computers have trash cans and yet most folks don't bother to throw away much of anything. Just like we throw away and take out the trash at home, we all need to practice that very same routine with our computers.

Another way to look at it is... Think of your computer as a room in your house. In a bedroom for example, ..if you don't put things away, over time, it'll take you longer and longer to find that favorite shirt or more importantly, clean underwear. In the kitchen, if you fail to empty the trash, you'll most likely start to have some type of conflict within that environment and things will deteriorate more and more. At some point you'll no longer be able to even enter the room. That's pretty much how a computer reacts to an unorganized and cluttered environment. You might even go as far as to say that it gets mad or gets tired, thus a computer will slow down and/or crash from time to time.

If you're one of many who need to clean up and get organized, I strongly suggest you make an appointment with your computer. If your clutter is minimal than it shouldn't take too much time to sort, sift, trash and delete. However, if when being completely honest with yourself, you've determined that you have an extreme amount of clutter, here's what you need to do. Commit to devoting an entire day to what needs to be done. Start early(morning) with going through every folder that you think might be cluttered, including your email boxes. Take breaks throughout the process, but don't stop entirely until your done. Even if it takes all day. Be decisive when throwing stuff in the trash. What ever you're not using in the way of large files/software/programs, back up and store on a separate storage disk or CD when ever possible. Audio and video use up an enormous amount of your computer's memory ......The better well kept and well maintained your computer is, the better it will work for you. Below are just 2 sites on maintenance that you might find very helpful too:

http://www.ualberta.ca/HELP/how-tos/macmaint.html http://www.macworld.com/2003/12/secrets/ha...ndson/index.php

Now, as to which External Hard Drive to purchase...... A simple google search will reveal the wide array of brands used and which are the most widely used, such as Lacie, Maxtor, etc. You might also want to do a search within this forum using keywords like external, hard drive and so on. There's plenty of answers right here, so there's really no need to wait for direct answers to your post.

Hope some of the above is helpful. ....Good luck and Happy New Year

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Sat 18 May 2024, 04:39
- © MacMusic 1997-2008