MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Presonus Firebox Reviews?, Anyone actually use this yet?
ArchivalAudio
post Tue 15 Feb 2005, 05:18
Post #11

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,749

Hey
Git cool
looking forward to more reviews
foun this in the PDF manual
kinda basic but... looks like 0 latentcy might not be possible
to quote the manual (could be windoz related)

Latency: – Sets the amount of delay time of your FIREBOX (1.5ms – 24ms). Latency
is the time it takes for the computer to process audio. Lower latency settings demand
more CPU resources. In the case of inconsistent audio, (i.e. drop outs, pops and
clicks, digital distortion, etc) we recommend that you increase this setting.

good luck
and let us all know how this thing works
thanx
again
-- Ian

--------------------
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

Field and location recording iBook G4 1.2Ghz/ 1.2GB - MOTU UltraLite & Audiodesk | Fostex FR2-LE (currently stock)

Milab VM-44 Links | RODE NT5's | AT853a's C/SC | Naiant MSH-2's | other assorted mics
Mackie 1402Vlz | Fostex D-5 DAT
===============================
For sale make me an offer : PM me

Denecke AD-20 | Presonus FireBox

OLD School:
Mac Clone (PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro) G3 enabled 450mhz/512MB EgoSys waveterminal 2496 - Cubase VST 5.0 Peak,Jam etc! ;)
Fostex D-5 DAT
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
arvidtp
post Tue 15 Feb 2005, 05:30
Post #12

Member No.: 12,850

that is probably talking about stuff that actually goes into the computer. Zero (or near zero) latency is only for monitoring directly through the box without going through the computer. many boxes accomplish this by just by sending analog in to the headphone out while still in analog.

The firebox, however, looks to have a digital mixer inside that is controlled by software on the computer - which should introduce at least a tiny bit of latency by definition, but hopefully only a tiny tiny bit - like in a digital mixing console, because it is dedicated hardware. In this case (for monitoring the input only of course), the audio never goes to the CPU.

Your statement from the manual, however, is absolutely true of every digital audio interface and computer - but for the audio that goes in gets processed and comes back out.

best,

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post
khvt
post Sat 19 Feb 2005, 15:46
Post #13

Member No.: 50,276

Any more reviews on Firebox? Thanks.

+Quote Post
GitGeezer
post Thu 24 Feb 2005, 07:49
Post #14

Member No.: 42,280

More Firebox experience:

Recording a stereo track (POD XT Live) and monitoring through the application (Live 4.1) resulted in unacceptable latency. Using the Firebox software mixer per their instructions worked much better, just be sure you like your incoming processed sound (I did, the POD XT Live is working well so far) because that's what you are recording. As you have discovered there is an online PDF manual. Note that the latency adjustments mentioned in the manual are for PC only. Note also that the recommended system for Macs are G4 800mhz or greater. Mine is a 667mhz G4 Powerbook so I'm living on the edge.

Be careful of bumping the Firewire cable during use. The Firebox can lose sync, usually requiring a reboot.

First major glitch: recording incoming SPDIF is not working. The software mixer can play it back, but no inputs show up in software. The Mac System Preferences Sound screen does show the incoming audio on it's meter, but it is "invisible" to any audio applications I've tried. I sent an email requesting help three days ago, so far no response from Presonus. If anyone else has some ideas (I saw the reference to SPDIF earlier in this thread) please let me know.

Gitgeezer

--------------------
Quad G5, 4 gig memory, internal and external drives, MOTU Traveler, Logic Pro 7.1.1, Sibelius, Reaktor 5, Absynth 3, Live 5, OS X 4.4

+Quote Post
bbmozee
post Tue 1 Mar 2005, 18:33
Post #15

Rookie

Member No.: 9,688

At long last, the missing link I've found. Ever since OS X came out my search for the promised land of elegant, rock-solid, inspired music creation on the Mac took me on many adventures (and plenty of mis-adventures!). Last night that musical holy grail came into view. My eMac G4 1.25GHz/Superdrive/80GB with external LaCie PORSCHE Firewire HD, Panther 10.3.8, Logic Pro 7, and now the new and "hottest" piece of the puzzle--a Prosonus FIREBOX, made beautiful music together. Hot, sweet and sexy--a dream come true. The FIREBOX has me totally stoked!

Here's the story so far. Been using the MBox and PT LE (and will continue to do so with my TiBook/667) but I have a new eMac now with the greatest music production program ever--Logic Pro 7--and need at least four simultaneous recording inputs to flesh out my original jazz compositions. I first tried the M-Audio FW410 but gave up on the flaky drivers, cheesy controls and uneven sound. Took it back and settled for a Tascam US-122. After updating to the 3.2.3 OS X driver all was stable but I was back to only 2 channel recording and the headphone amp was really weak (the direct monitoring and insert capability are nice and I'll be keeping it for my music students to use). I was twisting in the wind. Do I go way overkill with the MOTU 828 or Traveler, the Edirol FA1010 or Prosonus FirePod? Ouch! Don't need all that much and want to spend much less. Can't I just KISS? Thanks to the FIREBOX the final answer is YES!

Got mine yesterday at Guitar Center in Buffalo for 399. Brought it home and just to be sure downloaded the latest software for it from the Prosonus Web site. It appears to be the same as on the included CD (ver. 1). BTW, the box contained the printed manual, AC adapter, MIDI/SPDIF and Firewire cables. Plugged everything in, installed the software, repaired permissions, restarted. FIREBOX recognized! Just had to set up Sound control panel and Audio/MIDI prefs to lock things together (cool blue light on FIREBOX shows that all is groovin'). Launched Logic Pro 7, changed audio interface default to the FIREBOX and got working! It just sounded beautiful.

Thankyou Prosonus, Panther and Logic for making it all happen. At long last, it's time to play!

+Quote Post
khvt
post Tue 1 Mar 2005, 18:39
Post #16

Member No.: 50,276

Hi bbmozee. Thanks for your post about the fabulousness of the firebox! I have the M-Audio 410 & have been looking around for awhile for a replacement. Did you also consider the Edirol fa-66? I'm having a hard time deciding between firebox & fa-66 - (same price same features)? And no real reviews that I can find so far. Anyway, thanks again & have FUN! khvt

+Quote Post
ArchivalAudio
post Wed 2 Mar 2005, 06:40
Post #17

Member No.: 27,749

bbmozee

hey
great to hear such an enthusastic review!
I am evr closer to getting one... still waiting for ye olde tax return...
hope fully soon

So you are using Logic 7 ... and it is smooth with the Firebox sofar? do you ever use the CubaseLE... with it? if so how that working? well I would expect.
I would most likely be using it for in the field (live shows) recording either Just Mics (stereo pair) or mics + the PA soudboard feed. currently for DAT transfers I use Cubase So I am familiar with it, and I Use Peak for tracking and edits before going to JAM to burn... still on lod System 9 here, but also I am gonna get an ibook G4 soon as well ... so I'll be new to OSX.
can't wait for the fresh change.....my G3 enabled Mac clone is getting a bit slow these days. wink.gif

keep us posted

This post has been edited by ArchivalAudio: Wed 2 Mar 2005, 06:42

--------------------
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

Field and location recording iBook G4 1.2Ghz/ 1.2GB - MOTU UltraLite & Audiodesk | Fostex FR2-LE (currently stock)

Milab VM-44 Links | RODE NT5's | AT853a's C/SC | Naiant MSH-2's | other assorted mics
Mackie 1402Vlz | Fostex D-5 DAT
===============================
For sale make me an offer : PM me

Denecke AD-20 | Presonus FireBox

OLD School:
Mac Clone (PowerComputing PowerCenter Pro) G3 enabled 450mhz/512MB EgoSys waveterminal 2496 - Cubase VST 5.0 Peak,Jam etc! ;)
Fostex D-5 DAT

+Quote Post
cookshack
post Wed 2 Mar 2005, 18:59
Post #18

Member No.: 56,283

Are all of you guys still short on mic pres? Terratec PHASE 24 FW from JD Sound $249.00 USD.
Fully Balanced I/O, 192kHz AD/DA,SPDIF i/O and MIDI I/O, and includes the optional power supply and FWcable, and functional control panel. I'm not saying you don't want mic pres, I'm just saying that if you dont need two more then this is the answer.

Just for fun...I connected my drum triggers to midi in on Phase 24, using multichannel EXS in logic audio 6.3.1 on G4 PB 867mHz to trigger samples, output 3-4 on Phase 24 to outboard effects, back in through input 1-2 and record (audio) while monitoring playback on Output 1-2 on Phase 24. Didn't notice any drag!

I will post again once I've actually measured the latency on my system.

+Quote Post
bbmozee
post Wed 2 Mar 2005, 19:01
Post #19

Rookie

Member No.: 9,688

More on the fab FIREBOX:
Smooth and in the groove with Logic 7. Will use it with GarageBand soon. Don't have experience with Cubase LE but it's included if you need it. The fit and finish of the FIREBOX is first-rate. Should prove roadworthy. It will require at least OS X 10.3.7 (I'm on 10.3.8) and a 1GHz G4 with 512MB RAM to get results like mine.
I didn't wait for the Roland FA-66 as I've found US companies usually have better drivers ('cept M-Audio?) sooner. I can't believe how solid the v.1 drivers/software are. They mentioned that a lot was already built into OS X 10.3.7 and I don't doubt it. The latency is there but not disturbing with Logic 7 and I usually monitor thru a Mackie mixer anyway. I'm not sure of a way to adjust it on the Mac. So far, the FIREBOX just rocks!

+Quote Post
arvidtp
post Wed 2 Mar 2005, 21:18
Post #20

Member No.: 12,850

sounds cool bbmozee

but you *can* turn the latency down to like 64 in logic (audio driver preferences), right? and does it work? - if maybe not very CPU efficient. The user should be able to control the latency, it is just how much your system can handle at that setting - unless you are using an Mbox and digidesign says "You must use a giant buffer of 512 or 1024 because WE SAY SO" blink.gif

If i get something I would *need* it to perform well at very low latency - similar to the internal card in a perfect world...

and you're not having the sync (or lack thereof) troubles that others report?

thanks for posting your results - both of you - it is you guys who take the plunge first and then tell the rest the good and the bad who are taking the risk smile.gif thanks

--------------------
-Arvid •• Squish the Squid Productions, Modest Machine

•• digitally augmented trumpet, TOOB, flugelhorn, cracklebox, percussicube, no-input-mixers and Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz 15", MacOS 10.5, MOTU Ultralite, Logic Studio 9, MaxMSP 5, JackOSX ••
•• Electronic-experimental, jazz, digital instrument design, electronics, unique software and performance.••

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 21:39
- © MacMusic 1997-2008