MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Multi-Track Recording Software For Newbies, Simple, effective, inexpensive, for OS X
Which would be your choice for the best multi-track recording program for the beginning home studio user?
Which would be your choice for the best multi-track recording program for the beginning home studio user?
Jasmine OS X 1.7.4 [ 1 ] ** [2.50%]
Metro 6 SE [ 13 ] ** [32.50%]
Intuem 2.1 [ 3 ] ** [7.50%]
Tracktion 1.5 [ 23 ] ** [57.50%]
Total Votes: 138
Guests cannot vote 
Dadoo
post Sun 18 Apr 2004, 20:35
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,387

Well, here's the update on my experience thus far. I downloaded Tracktion (demo) and have found the time to record a short little instrumental piece with an acoustic, electric, and bass. I was able to add effects to the tracks that I wanted and was able to easily adjust the volume of each of the 3 tracks to levels that were complimentary. I was surprised at how quickly a newbie like myself could does this stuff. I have a ton to learn still but so far Tracktion makes it easy. I even learned how to connect my old Yamaha keyboard to my Audiophile USB interface, load a midi file into Tracktion and have it played for my on my keyboard. Probably old hat for many of you, but to me .... amazing!

I did download Intuem (demo) to try it out as well. So far, a big disappointment. Tried to do the midi thing with it and it wouldn't play. It just kept freezing up my computer. And not like just the program freezing up, but its freezing up did it to every other program I tried to open up, so I had to restart my computer (which I rarely have to do in OS 10.2.8). So I'm not impressed with Intuem at all.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Meneudo
post Sun 18 Apr 2004, 22:22
Post #22

Member No.: 41,183

Heh. Did you set up your preferences in Inteum? It works fine for me in X.3. I only use Inteum when I'm recording piano music that I'm playing, and when my younger brothers want to record some stuff. As far as editing goes, its lacking. But one thing I do like is the actual display of the clefs and time signature (similar to music, easier to read for me).

Other than that, I can't decide whether to register Tracktion or spend the extra $70 (educational discount) for Logic Express. I doubt I'll be trying to sell anything I make, so the educational label doesn't bother me that much. Any suggestions?

+Quote Post
Dadoo
post Sun 18 Apr 2004, 23:58
Post #23

Member No.: 32,387

Yes, I did set the preferences. It still didn't work. I was able to get the midi stuff converted to musical notation, which is nice but the program kept hanging up on me (OS 10.2.8, 512 MB of RAM, iMac 600 MHz)

+Quote Post
editbrain
post Mon 19 Apr 2004, 01:49
Post #24

Member No.: 30,424

has anyone every heard the saying "time is money". what i get from that is. you can spend a little more money and get a quality app like logic express, or you can skimp and get a budget app that you spend more time with lock-ups, crashes, and put lack of features.

happy recording,

editbrain

+Quote Post
fingers
post Fri 30 Apr 2004, 10:41
Post #25

Member No.: 42,152

If you have a G4 iMac try GarageBand - it runs fine on my 667 tibook. I have never tried Tracktion tho but iLife 'O4 is a bargain...

MacIDOL Mac Music Collective

+Quote Post
td3k
post Fri 30 Apr 2004, 16:34
Post #26

Member No.: 16,354

QUOTE (Dadoo @ Mar 31 2004, 02:57)
I do have a PA system, would that work as a pre-amp or is it too powerful?

ONLY if it has a "line level" output. DO NOT plug speaker level signal from any PA or amp into the inputs of any digital recording interface.

Now, a mixer (unpowered), is OK

TD

--------------------

+Quote Post
td3k
post Fri 30 Apr 2004, 16:59
Post #27

Member No.: 16,354

QUOTE (Dadoo @ Mar 31 2004, 02:57)
I'm putting my bass and guitar directly into my Audiophile USB interface. Should I be running it through a pre-amp first? If so, what pre-amp works well for computer recording?

For bass, I use SanAmp bass driver, it's an awesome piece of kit. Next to my Stingray, it's the single best piece I've added for recording bass guitar. $200 and worth every penny. They also make SansAmp for guitar as well.

Hope that helps,

TD

--------------------

+Quote Post
fingers
post Thu 13 May 2004, 13:11
Post #28

QUOTE (td3k @ Apr 30 2004, 15:59)
They also make SansAmp for guitar as well.

Which i can highly recommend - i have an original one - it's fantastic.

mac music collective

+Quote Post
Righteous Bullet
post Mon 7 Jun 2004, 19:45
Post #29

Member No.: 44,233

fingers by 'original' do you mean the SansAmp classic?

+Quote Post
fingers
post Mon 7 Jun 2004, 20:26
Post #30

QUOTE (Righteous Bullet @ Jun 7 2004, 18:45)
fingers by 'original' do you mean the SansAmp classic?

Well it was just called the Sans Amp when I got it - it probably is the same as the classic version - but i don't know for sure. It sure looks the same to me...

http://www.tech21nyc.com/

You can probably find an original on ebay cheap.

I hope this helps.

Rich

mac music collective

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 28 Mar 2024, 18:42
- © MacMusic 1997-2008