MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
> How To Connect Mackie Onyx 1220 Or 1620 With Pro Tools?
theory84
post Mon 10 Mar 2008, 18:37
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,452

hi, I m new on this forum, i was searching for my answer on many forums and other sites but whit no answer...my problem is that i want to buy a mackie onyx 1220 or 1640 and work whit pro tools...at the moment i have an m-box mini, but i know that i will need to change to something else.

The thing is that the HD system and c 24 is to expensive for me, so i thought to go whit a digi 003 rack and somehow connect it to the mackie onyx, but how??

maybe i could somehow connect the mackie tracktion in rewire whit pro tools?

is this possible?

or i could record everything in tracktion and than export and import in a pro tools session?

please help
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mortalengines
post Tue 11 Mar 2008, 06:30
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,373

or i could record everything in tracktion and than export and import in a pro tools session?

Sure you could but I am not 100% on why you would want to. I own a 1220 and use it with Ableton and it is pretty cool (the pres are great and the converters are pretty good too) and I understand that it is not really for use with Pro Tools. If you are looking for using a mixer with Pro Tools you may want to think about getting PT M-Powered and get the M-Audio 1814 (it think that's the one that is the control surface that is like the 003's). If you want to throw a mixer in with your 003 rack then you maybe want to think about a VLZ 3 (which I hear has some pretty nice preamps as well.....VLZs are broadcast quality...I haev actually seen some in a local TV broadcast studio) or something and use it as a front end to the 003. By the way, I really like the Onyx pres and the converters are nice but keep in mind that it is 18 in and 2 out: meaning, that you really can't use it as a mixdown medium, like going out of your 003 with however many channels it has out and using your mixer as a "summing device" to go back into ProTools with 2 tracks of analog mixed audio. If you go to Sweetwater.com there are some pretty sweet mini consoles that you could use as a really nice front end to Pro Tools LE and they have some good preamps: which is what I assume you want the Mackie for. I also need to add this while I am thinking about it. I bought the 1220 back in the day when I thought that I would be recording bands......It never really happened.....I got too caught up in producing myself so what I have is really overkill. Before you do this make sure you are really up for doing this and have some folks who are REALLY determined to make a recording....everybody I knew never could get it together enough to make it worth the effort. I only say this because you could save yourself some money by buying one or two kick ass, full on professional preamps like a Universal Audio LA 610 (a channel strip that I am currently drooling over and really ought to buy: it has a really good pre, eq and compressor....1499US) and keep your M-box. THAT would kill anything Mackie has to offer. Just my 2 cents based on my personal experience. Good Luck!

www.myspace.com/mortal_engines
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Welcome Guest
Contribute
Lo-Fi Version - Tue 21 May 2024, 11:39
- © PcMusic 1997-2007