MacMusic.org  |  PcMusic.org  |  440Software  |  440Forums.com  |  440Tv  |  Zicos.com  |  AudioLexic.org
Loading... visitors connected
Welcome Guest

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music File Formats (for Newbies)
Fats Schindee
post Tue 16 May 2006, 22:09
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 79,773

Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to computer based recording. I've had iTunes for awhile, but never paid attention to what was going on "behind the scenes" until I recently started using GarageBand. My basic newbie question is this: What is the difference between .mp3, .m4a, and .aif files? All the files uploaded from my CDs on iTunes are .m4a and the ones transferred from GB are .aif. The .aif ones are much bigger file size, and I just found out how to change them to .mp3, which are much smaller. What am I losing/gaining by using the different formats? If there is a primer or tutorial I should check out please lead the way. I tried a search but didn't come up with much. Thanks for any info...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monkeyboy23
post Wed 17 May 2006, 02:50
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Team
Member No.: 74,134

.mp3 is a lossy compression scheme...pretty universal.
.m4a is an unprotected AAC file, which is a subset of Mpeg4. .m4p is a protected AAC file, like you'd get if you bought a song from the iTunes music store. It is a lossy format as well. Lossy compression takes sound and removes some of the information, resulting in a smaller file size. (That's a simplified answer.)
.aif (aiff files) and .wav (wave files) are uncompressed audio, just like on a CD you'd buy in the store.

What is lost in the compression? High end, stereo seperation, sound quality.

Use uncompressed audio to make music, use the compressed formats to share your music with others (of course, uncompressed cd's are preferable).

+Quote Post
ianstonehouse
post Wed 17 May 2006, 16:42
Post #3

Member No.: 29,649

The Wikipedia entry on audio files format is a useful start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_file_format

+Quote Post
Fats Schindee
post Thu 18 May 2006, 04:44
Post #4

Member No.: 79,773

Thanks for the info. The wikipedia was a pretty good explanation. I'm starting to get it now... (well, I'm a little less stupid, anyway! blink.gif )

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version - Thu 19 Sep 2024, 18:19
- © MacMusic 1997-2008